Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Any experiences with post knee surgery recovery?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by antny, Apr 16, 2019.

1. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Just tore my ACL, MCL and medial and lateral meniscus. I've had a complicated wrist fx recovery that required a bone growth stimulator that took 8 months plus to recover from.

I've had 2 shoulder surgerys that both took 5 to 6 months to get to full activity.

Anyone here have experience with knee surgery particularly ACLs? I know it used to be a year long recovery but ive heard now a days they can be anywhere from 6 to 9 months? Just curious about anyone's experience

2. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I partially tore mine with my lateral meniscus 15 years ago and I want to say my Rehab was 5-6 months? I’m not sure what your body type and conditioning is but the 6 to 9 month windows are mostly for athletes that are in peak physical condition that are stronger to begin with and heal faster....I’m on the other side of it now as a physical therapist and in my experience it’s 9 months minimum....Not to be doom and gloom but with you I would expect closer to a year since your injury is a lot more involved as far as other structures...Now I will say you might be returned to function in 9-10 months but as far as pain-free, full range of motion, full strength, etc I would expect closer to a year

3. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007
    I agree with LoyalGatorFan. Tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus 9 years ago playing basketball. It took a full year post surgery before I began to “forget” about the injury whenever I stood up. Still think about it when trying to play any type of sport. Definitely more of a mental thing for me as it feels 95% “strong”. Good luck with your recovery - work hard at your physical therapy - it will be worth it in the long run.

4. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Thank you for the replies. Played a lot of basketball growing up and never had knee issues. I'm 40 now but have always stayed in shape with weightlifting and various functional training I.e. firefighter circuits. There is an almost certainty that I have Ehlers Danlos and someone mentioned an autograft might not be a good idea for my ACL. Anyone with a cadaver ligament here? Any issues?

And yeah for me return to activity in not so concerned with but full function as respective to my job is the concern

5. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007
    My ACL was replaced with a cadaver ligament. I am very happy with the results. I jokingly asked the doctor for the youngest, strongest ligament he could find - not some 100 pound old lady ligament. The anesthesiologist (a friend of mine) said it was the biggest one he has ever seen. Seems to be doing the trick. Doesn’t hurt to ask... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I tore my knee up wrestling in HS. After my senior season, I had an arthroscopic surgery, followed by a summer long rehab. When I got to St. Cloud State, preseason practice included running the bridges over the Mississippi River and hours in the weight room. after about 2 weeks on the mat, the knee was screaming bloody murder again, so I decided to give up wrestling. Not too many million dollar contracts floating out there for wrestling. Had it been football or hockey, that might have been a different story. The good news is that gave me the opening to come to Gainesvile to go to UF. Talk about a major upgrade, plus I got to trade wrestling for competitive water skiing, in my opinion, the best lifetime sport ever.

The bummer was that the type of surgery I had back then could probably could have been handled now in a dang office visit. Technology sometime is a wonderful thing.

A few years back, I was inspecting a house on the side of a hill in Mt. Dora. As I was busy scribbling notes and taking pictures I stepped down awkwardly onto the driveway and tore my meniscus. The MRI at the National Triathlon Training Center in Clermont showed that. Since it was work related, I had to go through a different doctor because of workman's comp rules. Or so they told me. The doctor assigned to me declared there was no injury. So I left it alone. It's still sore, but the cumulative effects of sports injuries is giving me the dickens so I passed this off as just another ache and pain to add to the collection.

Everyone's situation is uniquely different, so individual results may vary. Good luck with it dude. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Dr Pete Indelicado spoke to out Ocala QB club and was asked about recovery from acl and other knee surgeries. He said the body recovers in 10 to 16 or so months but the mind may take 2 years t trust that the healing is complete. His reference was to healthy highly cnditioned athletes so thinking with that in mind you can interpret his comments to fit your circumstance

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I had to quit sports due to a knee injury I'm not sure what hurt worse--the knee or the mind. And I was just a scrub. I can't imagine how hard it is for an elite athlete that just saw his/her dreams go up in smoke. Muscles will heal as muscles will heal, but the heart and the soul are a bit trickier.

9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Dr Pete was emphasizing the athlete relearning to trust the healed knee

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That may have been the case with me as well. The doctors didn't tell me to give up the sport, I decided on my own because at the time I did not trust the healed knee, and knew what kind of hell it was about to face had I stayed in it.

11. JaxLizard

JaxLizard Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fleming Island
    I tore my ACL playing basketball in 1988. Dr. Pete did my surgery. I used to be a one legged jumper, but after the surgery, I never had the confidence to jump off my left leg anymore. I continued playing ball through the 90’s, but gave it up for good a few years back as the pain and arthritis in that knee became too much to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I can absolutely see how people struggle to gain confidence again. It happened so suddenly that you don't know when it could happen again. It's not like taking time to get into proper position to lift a heavy object. One misstep on a fire and I knew it was over. I will also never do another mud run as the uneven terrain seems ripe for this type of injury

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1