Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Antifa - it’s too bad that we have gotten to a place where a law like this is needed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DaveFla, Jul 11, 2018.

1. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It feels like it’s right in the borderline of infringing on peoples’ rights (yes, even the Antifa thugs have certain rights). Still, I do feel that it has become necessary.

"Unmasking Antifa" Act Introduced In Congress: 15 Year Sentence For Masked Mayhem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Trick or Treaters beware.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is a totally ridiculous, horribly written law due to ambiguities such as "threaten", "oppress", and "intimidate". People need to know as clearly as possible exactly what acts are unlawful. Those terms fail at doing that.

Plus, the Antifa concept has been purposely oversold by those who seek to equate a relatively few people who are fighting fascism (albeit sometimes outside the constraints of law) with a huge group of skinheads, Nazis, anti Semites, and white supremacists who support hate and fascism.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Pretty simple to avoid problems, just show your face. If you believe strongly enough in something don't try and hide behind a mask or a hood. Own your actions. Do that and you never have to be concerned about this law

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Where were these guys when the Klan was running roughshod over the South in sheets and hoods?

The crime should be the underlying act, not your attire. “Oppressing” someone with a mask shouldn’t be any more criminal than oppressing someone without a mask.

If that’s the case just be transparent and outlaw the mask.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  6. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Just put on lipstick and no one will recognize you.

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    This is a good thing. Antifa wants to show up and start fights we should see the scums face. If the KKK wants to hold rallies and try to intimidate or fight people we should see the scums face. Plus I like seeing the Antifa crowd and KKK crowd get knocked out and now we get to see the look on their faces when they are out cold.

9. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

Except this part:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Still a poorly written law. My response was based on the excerpt that you included in your original post.

11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    The Lone Ranger ain't gonna like this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    They were in their legislative bodies writing up more laws before donning their “Sheety” attire.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    If this law was written in response to the KKK the progressives would be hailing it as a great thing. But since it's targeting Antifa, it's no bueno

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The House bill's language appears to be based - at least in part - on the anti-KKK laws that were adopted decades ago in a number of states. Florida's version is in Chapter 876 of the statutes, starting with 876.12.

I don't know about other states but the Florida law has a specific exemption for holiday costumes, masks worn for occupational safety purposes, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Something needs to be done about their tactics as apparently juries are having a hard time convicting these punks when there is no face to be seen on the videos of them committing violence. Conservatives cant even give a speech anymore in many places due to the actions of these punks and only a few of them are actually getting convicted for their crimes.

It appears quite as few states and municipalities have laws against wearing a mask in public except at certain places or events. In some states the courts said the law violated the first amendment apparently and in other states the courts ruled the law was legal. I guess a federal appeals court has never took the issue up and made a ruling. I don't see one in a quick search anyway.

I would just make it a misdemeanor to wear a mask in public while participating in protest/political type events and then the cops could arrest these punks if they refused to leave or remove the mask which would get them away from the protest area. It sounds like they tried their mess at Auburn University like they have been doing in other parts of the country and the cops put a stop to it real quick by arresting a bunch of them for violating the Alabama mask law.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There are plenty of "hate" laws on the books to protect gays, etc., that have similar language.

17. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

What can be utilized against the KKK can equally be utilized against Antifa

18. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The link to the full text was in the OP. Frankly, I was very surprised that you missed it, and responded as you did, considering the wealth of information and the amount of time you normally take in preparing your responses.

I’m just sayin’

19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    upload_2018-7-11_12-23-6.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    One would think, given equivalent behavior. But I'm sure we'll hear that masked Antifa skullcrackers occupy a higher moral plane than masked Klan skullcrackers .... "fighting fascism" and all.

• Agree Agree x 1