Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anthony Richardson should be the #1 pick in the NFL draft...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doeringmortgage, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    If the NFL didn't draft players that skipped their bowl games they would have a pretty weak draft.

I guess AR could work in a car lot with O'Cyrus Torrence, Ventrell Miller, Will Levis, Myles Murphy (Clemson), Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech), Bijon Robinson (Texas), Michael Mayer (Notre Dame), Cam Smith (South Carolina), Anton Harrison (Oklahoma), Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee).

All except Ventrell are projected first rounders and could work under sales managers like Kyle Pitts and Kayvon Thibodeaux who also skipped bowl games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d love to see a list of guys that sat vs guys that played and how that translates to being determined winners on the field.I’d pick Bryce Young over AR on that simple fact alone if I were a gm. I like the no man left behind attitude. What’s more valuable to a player, himself or him teammates. I know most look out for number one but the guy that puts his brothers first is a more valuable teammate because they stick together. No one runs when things look bad. Sitting out means I ran away.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. friendlyvol

friendlyvol Sophomore

Jan 1, 2023
    Southeast Tennessee
    My top 2 NFL Draft picks would be Bryce Young and CJ Stroud.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Both good players that never quit. I’m sure there are others that weren’t on top rosters that will rival them as pros.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Nick Bosa backed out of Ohio State and he may be D player of the year

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators VIP Member

lol

7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    About the sitting out the bowl game thing- Christian McCaffrey was the first one I remember doing it. (From Stanford. There may be others- I don't remember them though.)
    He was still picked top 10 by the Panthers.
    I thought it was a black mark on his character and the foreshadowing of a bad NFL career, but he balled out for the Panthers. (They are the local team so I saw him a lot.)
    He always gave great effort- even when the Panthers sucked badly. (Which was often.)

So while I hate to say it- sitting out the bowl game means nothing re their NFL career.
    Now- I think the college BODY OF WORK absolutely means a lot and is indicative of all sorts of things.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That’s easy money and a safe bet. Not many make it in the NFL and even less make it Top 15. You need to go out on a limb here.

9. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    We're only 2 years removed from players sitting out the entire season due to COVID. Many of those players immediately became exceptional NFL players.

College football is a business to the players.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s how gym’s get fired. I’d take a player I’d bet on contributing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It happens for sure. I’m more interested in o er all than a few examples either way.Pierce said sitting never entered his mind and he runs like an animal. Just one example though

12. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    For those following along with short memories, Nick Bosa didn't just back out of a bowl game. He left the Buckeyes after 3 games. And that was a 13-1 OSU team, not our crappy season.

Injured Ohio State DE Nick Bosa leaves college, focuses on pro career

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Yeah, he's easy to find at the track. He is the one betting the field on every race.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. ofmgator12

ofmgator12 Junior

Jul 23, 2022
    WHY?

15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Jordan Reid has AR going 9th. I love it!!! Wherever he goes I will be rooting for that team.

Interesting that Saban had all his players play in the bowl game. Hopefully Billy can build that mentality in which every game is important or every game is considered important.
    Last 5-6 portal additions need to be big time gets or we could be looking at 6-6 or even 5-7 again.

16. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    No disrespect or anger, but for the League, I wouldn't touch him with a 73 ft pole in the first round or 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. beechgator

beechgator GC Legend

Aug 31, 2007
    Absolutely true on AR> I like the guy, but he could have been a Gainsville legend had he chosen to go all in. He CHOSE to minimally support his team and teammates and that was his choice. Personally, I don't follow any players once they go pro, so don't really care where AR is drafted or how well he does. Tebow was the exception to that rule and guess what? Tebow IS a Gainsville legend. It just didn't work out for AR. I have nothing against him and hope he prospers in the manner he chooses but I've moved on from the '22 team.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Funny, his teammates have never said anything about him being anything other than a great and supportive teammate...but message board posters know more than them.
    Hopefully he will go on and do great things in the NFL and become a Gainesville legend as opposed to your Gainsville (wherever that is) legends. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. beechgator

beechgator GC Legend

Aug 31, 2007
    If you are trying to say AR didn't hold back then just state it outright. Don't put it on the players who may or may not have felt betrayed. I know what I saw. AR was holding back. He's gone, and I'm done discussing him.

20. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1