Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Another Transfer from UGA?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Jan 5, 2020.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Blah blah blah. Four schools are cheating their asses off and all those below them just deal with it. Okay.

When Meyer was here landing 5 stars we were not cheating but at Ohio State he was. Okay.

When we do beat georgia for a recruit was he not offered by georgia, did he turn it down, or did our bagmen intervene and pony up a competitive offer?

I sit here wondering if Cox spent all his money then transferred and how much Wingo turned down to play with the good guys.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Not every recruit is on the take, but if you don't think any are you are naive. Or worse. And one of the reasons Meyer left UF was cuz he was sick of not being able to do what the gumps were doing in recruiting. That's not to say we were super clean. We may have not been. I have no idea. But the reaming the hypocrites at the NCAA gave us in the 80's majorly soured the admin on the whole cheating in recruiting thing. I'm sure if they'd known nothing would happen they would have started competing more aggressively with the gumps and others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

There is a bit of naivete in your post. No not every recruits gets money. But you tell me, how does Georgia get the #1 players in Texas and Arizona with it's middling academics, history of under achievement and a coach that is a a known aloof asshat and an overrated bigmouth goober? I have been to Athens...Austin has it all over Athens and Arizona State's campus is amazing. Why would a kid fly over 27 better schools to go to Georgia of all places? Don't be dense. Alabama and Georgia are cheating, they are feeling out the families of recruits and seeing if they could be bought. Tua's family did it. It's all done by rich boosters with the proper insulation from the NCAA. If you are a grifting corrupt ghetto rat and offered a home and new car...are you going to tell?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Nobody is suggesting teams AREN'T cheating, but that's ALWAYS the go to thing to say when your team misses out on a recruit...."oh they got offered bags". That's insulting to the recruits who don't take money. It's like some of y'all don't understand not every recruit is going to risk a shot at $10 mill in a few years for $100k now

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Actually someone is saying that they aren't cheating. Thats the issue. And Cam's dad didn't get paid, UNC didn't run a fake curriculum and uncle luke didn't pay for play....

• Winner x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. ktalent1

ktalent1 GC Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Not a great thing to say.

I’ve also been to Athens and although it pains me to say it, I do see the appeal. Gorgeous campus, easy walk to a lively downtown with great bars, coeds are for real, close to Atlanta.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    And a great music scene...

• Like Like x 1
  9. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    I lived in Athens for better than 10 years, and I always marveled at how beautiful the UGA Campus is as well. From a over-all academic stand point, admission into UGA......(non-athlete) has become very competitive. Had several friends that were UGA grads, that couldn't get their kids into UGA, for that very reason............just so many now attempting to gain admittance, UGA is getting its pick of the cream of the crop academically.......I believe the HOPE scholarship was instrumental in helping, getting kids to want to stay in-state rather than leaving the state for a college degree.

My last few years before retiring and returning to Florida I lived outside of Athens, but will say during the Richt era while still living in the Athens. I heard plenty of gossip about football players driving expensive vehicles around town and the subsequent innuendo conversation it created around town with Athens folks in as far as something fishy going on with potential under the table with additional monetary support for football players. My point for mentioning that is its nothing new with Smart being there now, it was going on before he got there.

I mentioned in a post several days ago, that I found it odd that in Athens and Oconee this past HS season there were two 4* QB's and neither one committed to UGA.......one went to Oklahoma the other to LSU. Now this sudden dump of talent at the conclusion of this football season, the top RB asking out of his LOI ...........I believe one at this point could legitimately ask the following question.....There sure seems to be alot of smoke, is there a waging fire?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    It's usually more the recruits' families/handlers than the recruits themselves. And a lot of them would rather not take the chance the recruit stays injury free and actually makes it to the NFL and the big bucks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. integrator

integrator Junior

Jan 25, 2009
    Interesting post. I got a smile out of your last line. It might be a typo but I going to believe it is just a bit of subtle word play.
    "There sure seems to be alot of smoke, is there a waging fire?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I bet there is!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Silly wabbit.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Been there and many many other places. Athens is way down the list for me. I certainly wouldn't be choosing there over Austin, TX, Tempe, AZ, Gainesville, FL and a whole bunch of other towns/cities. Now Tuskerloser, AL, probably. :D

15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What 5-star? We haven't signed one since, what? 2015?

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I've got some news you probably don't want to hear....

17. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    What? I worked there for many years (intermittently) and their stadium is prison gray (at least the last time I saw it) and the campus is NOT more beautiful than UF. Esp in the winter when no leaves on the trees. Maybe in the spring when the dogwoods are blooming but that's about it. Maybe you just like hills a lot more than me. :D

18. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    When you're winning sec titles and national titles it's a lot easier to keep players happy even when buried on a depth chart. UGA has won nothing of any kind of significance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yep. Different people find different places appealing. And people usually choose to settle in a place that appeals to them. Of the people I know who moved to the Atlanta area from Florida, almost all of them have no desire to ever go back to Florida. And people I know who lived in Atlanta and moved to Florida have no desire to ever come back to Atlanta.

Personally, I lived in Florida for about 13 years and I love the beaches and the water but outside of that and fishing, I prefer the mountains and change of seasons. I have no real desire to live in Florida, though I probably will because my girlfriend wants to go back in a few years.

20. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think Saban's strength has always been either motivating guys who are buried on the depth chart to improve or politely/quietly pushing them out of the program.