Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Another Site Claims Rashada requests NLI release from Florida (Denied By His Father)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LearnedGator, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Not anymore. Not these days.

2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, Clemson essentially had become Wake Forest and had to get back to the top where they were close to in the 80s. They basically came out of nowhere to become a heavyweight duking it out with Bama every year.

The analogy is not as good with soccer despite the money situation. Although it is harder to win the EPL now because the big clubs bought up all the academy players as well, there is a path. But the path to the small fish winning a title like Leicester was to develop solid players that can play tactical ball (corollary to football would be a new gimmick offense to manufacture points), and then develop 4 special players of which 2 have to be stars. Then you have a shot when there is a not a really superior team big club that year. Not getting one of those really superior top clubs in a given year hasn't happened for a while. There has been a Man City, Liverpool, and this year Arsenal to block that.

There just is not a path to a Wake Forest (or this year TCU) to win it. Football is too different in that it is hard to hide the difference in size and speed and strength compared to soccer. A physically inferior team will not be able to survive multiple rounds of a playoff to win a national championship. UF has to get better players or develop them from raw superior physical talent. That is all there is to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why anyone would make an assumption that we will be back soon is beyond my comprehension. People need to realize that this is a major rebuild in many respects (after the past 13 years). Last recruiting class was loaded with 4 stars, very good for quality players on our roster. if we get a few more solid recruiting classes in the next year or two (with some 5 stars thrown in) we will start to be competitive with the top SEC teams. I stated many times end of this upcoming season we will have a better idea of how CBN is doing and if he's on course.
    IMO, mental fragility is the perfect term.. Urban would have said "nut up". This isn't going to be quick and it's not going to be easy. We made a lot of mis-steps along the way and it's going to take patience to get this right. Hopefully CBN is the guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Another item to add into "major rebuild" is to keep a head coach for more than 3 years. Provided that Napier is a keeper (I hope that he is), we should be very competitive in four years and hopefully for ten or more. By the way, Florida's record of keeping a head football coach for more than five years is not vey stellar. Only two coaches stayed ten years and one for six years. Most of of the Gator head football coaches hung around three to five years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    Because quick turnarounds happen in college football. I think we need to disavow ourselves of the notion that it must take time. With the right coaches and players in place it can happen in year 2.

We've gotten 4 star players with the occasional 5 star guy or two since Meyer left. These classes have had a few very bright spots with some holes in critical places. Meanwhile there are 3-5 other SEC teams blowing the doors off recruiting. If we count incoming SEC teams then seven are recruiting above Florida right now. They all have at least 1 and up to 4 5* players in their class. That matters.

Now we could luck out. We could have the right 4 star players versus their 5 stars. It happens! But the odds are lower.

No doubt. 6-6 was my logical baseline for this season. We underperformed that, but I knew going in we had a very tough row to hoe. Year 2 looks ... difficult. Few bright spots here and there (some returning WR and RB talent), but I can't at this point look at it as much more than a 7-5 regular season, much of that attributed to a slightly easier schedule.

Therein lies the problem. If it's not quick, it won't happen. Our last 3 fired coaches:

Mullen: 10-3, 11-2, 8-4, 5-6
    McElwain: 10-4, 9-4, 3-4
    Muschamp: 7-6, 11-2, 4-8, 6-5
    Zook: 8-5, 8-5, 7-4

Napier: 6-7, ?, ?, ?

Of those only one failed to have a "good" season and that was Zook. Muschamp got an extra year because of the injuries in his 3rd. But look, you get 3.5 years on average. Has Florida changed its philosophy? Are we willing to wait 5 years for a coach to get all his guys in? I'm not sure. I'd be surprised. I think the pressure becomes very real in year 2. If it doesn't, we risk becoming even more of a has-been in the SEC.

Does Alabama let a coach figure it out for 4+ years? Does Georgia? LSU?

You can call that histrionics or pearl clutching or whatever. I think it's reality. The game has changed and we're not at the top right now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    before saban, shula. was there 4 years. richt 15 years pior to smart. les miles 9 years after winning nc. dabo 3rd year before he had a winning record. i hope we do well this year but im more interesred in year 3. and yes if cbn continues in the right direction this year regardless of our record, i want him to stay and continue the rebuild.

7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Well put. Not sure Clemson was ever WF (they did own the ACC until FSU arrived), but I'll let that slide ;)

Needless to say, it will take a miracle. I also don't think there is a tactical advantage to be had in football anymore. Seems like it's all pretty much the same now, even the NFL. Read option seems like the last major tactical innovation, so the schematic advantage thing is pretty much gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    It’s all about the right jimmy’s and joe’s. Without them the elite advantage of WR and bubble screens get popped

9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Nobody is defending it. Whether we like it or not, change is inevitable especially when the previous system was unlawful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Until we go to a model that actually pays players and the league (SEC and B1G) actually agrees on and enforces a cap or a standardized compensation model, I don’t see how we get out of this NIL mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Don't undersell this recruiting class as we have some that could just as easily be consensus 5 stars as not when you look at Rashada, Kelby Collins, Ja'Keem Jackson (rising while Ricks and Cormani are falling), and Eugene Wilson. And the services unevenly represent some of our really good recruits like Dijon Johnson and Kamran James. This class will make a lot of noise when all is said and done. Norman, Denson and Webb are likely way too low in the services as well.

We have a great start and just need to keep the momentum going.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    When there is news released, we'll unlock here and in Awesome Recruiting.

Until then, there's a good general NIL discussion thread at:

NIL Deals

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.