Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Andy Kennedy done at ole miss

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 12, 2018.

1. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Don’t you think we are in need of a quality big man for next season? Stokes doesn’t have a reputation of being a good rebounder and there is the issue of him getting in game shape. If we are relying upon him to be our best big man, we could be in trouble.

2. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Good stuff, Eric. Thanks!

PS: @akaGatorhoops - you just had to go and mention that Henderson guy, didn't ya? Ugh! He was tough to take from an opponent's POV.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

I must say... when we weren't playing him, I got some pleasure from watching Henderson torment OTHER teams and their fans. I also saw a pretty interesting documentary about him playing pro basketball in some dangerous places in the middle east after he was done college, he is truly an... interesting... character

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought you were commenting that we are in desperate need of a big man coach.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    I would think that Kermit Davis at Middle Tennessee will get a shot at an OleMiss type job soon. He has done a great job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    In my opinion, we are in need of a good big man and a good big man coach. White and crew are all about guards. I think this has been a factor in our lack of successfully recruiting top rated bigs.

7. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMG_0407.JPG

8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are much fewer elite big men in the high school ranks than guards. The bigs who are ready to compete and be high level contributors as freshmen get scooped up by the unc, duke and uk’s of the world. Billy was able to snag some over the years but that wasn’t usually the case and most of the one and done big types went to the previously mentioned schools. We took a lot of project type bigs with high upsides like Joakim Noah and Mareese Speights. These are the type of guys Coach White needs to target as realistic options until he really builds his brand and can get in with some of the one-and-done type big man talent, which again, aren’t growing on trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I would disagree.

I would suggest ... as twodaparty did....there a few elite big men, most of which are reserved for the Kentucky, Duke and Carolinas of the world. There are certinaly other good big men in college basketball who developed over their careers--- and perhaps we have such on our bench. We do not know due to injury.
    Also, a coach has to recruit based upon departing players and positional need. For the duration of White's tenure here--- Egbunu and Hayes have been on the roster. And non-elite level players would presumably need to be comfortable developing behind one or both of those guys.
    Again--- I'd argue we have found such in Gak, but alas--- injured.
    I will reserve judgement on how this staff recruits bigs until the time comes that they are recruiting for departing players at those spots. And I'll reserve judgement on how they develop bigs until they have had a chance to work with players not entirely sidelined by injury.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    As others mentioned, the racist rant/punching of the cabbie added to how he responded to police officers when he was arrested makes him a NO for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    He is fantastic. But his one year debacle at TAMU still looms large.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 26, 2013
    You are preaching the gospel sir. I have been banging this same drum all year but most people think I am crazy. I mean, I am sort of crazy but still..lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I would like to give this a rating Twoda....or at least respond in kind. My powers of telepathy are failing me today. Would you care to clarify as to the image you posted above?

14. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    With Egbunu gone and Stokes and Gak with bad wheels it seems we could be in the same boat as this season or maybe worse in regards to our big man situation. Koulechov is gone too and he's our best rebounder.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Perhaps.
    But I have yet to meet a coach who can recruit players immune to injury.
    And so again--- I reserve judgement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Come on guys, is it really that hard to recruit a big better than Hayes? You can't convince me that there isn't better big men available to more schools than just the few blue bloods. Maybe we can't get the cream of the crop but we should be able to recruit a good four star type big that can catch a pass and will continue to improve each year.

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Fwiw--- I cant imagine the situation being worse. Right now we really only have a healthy Hayes. Next year we should presumably be able to only add to that equation.
    We should have a healthy Stokes and Chase. Gak will hopefully be healthier, and we add a very physical Keyontae Johnson.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Didn't White recruit Stokes after he had already had his injury? If so, he knew he was taking a huge chance. Gak was already considered a project even before the injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    If you are honset, you would likely admit to being excited about how Hayes finished last season in John's absence... and were encouraged by his trajectory.
    The staff probably felt similar.
    Still, despite Egbunu/Hayes as the presumed depth at the position during White's tenure--- he has added Gak and Stokes. Either or both may prove better than Hayes. But alas....

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    No.