Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Andrew Nembhard's status for Auburn

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorStu1, Jan 17, 2020.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Had flu B last week. If nembhard has it he is most likely still contagious given the time frame. Seriously doubt he plays. Tamiflu reduces symptoms by 1.3 days if taken within 36 to 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. I chose not to take it. Btw. Flu suuuuuuucks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    If by "food" you mean alcohol, then maybe..lol. He was hungover, been up since day before. per ones that also played in that game.

Called flu game to protect image , keep selling those shoes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve never got a flu shot and knock on wood have never got the flu. I just don’t touch my mouth ever, wash my hands and stay away from sick people!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Lol right back at you. Jalen Rose is the player you’re referencing and he didn’t play in the game. Did you watch the game? I’ve been hungover a time or two hundred, and that’s not what that was.

5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Nice sentiment, but I doubt we can win without Nembhard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    One thing to know is, what people generally call "the flu" is not really influenza, which is a deadly, serious disease. Your garden variety "flu" is not flu, just a catch-all phrase for most 1- or 2-day bugs. If he has actual flu, forget about it. He ain't playing. But he PROBABLY has something else.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    You're right that it only covers certain strains and is only good for a year and that I caught a different strain. This one doctor told me that even though I caught a different strain, I would have gotten a worse case had I not gotten the flu shot.

I found this article that says the same. Here's a related paragraph within the article.

You Didn't Respond Fully to the Vaccine
    It is still possible to get the flu after having a flu shot, either because you were one of the few people who was not fully protected or because the strain of influenza that made you sick was not included in the vaccine. Even so, you are less likely to have serious complications from the flu if you have had the shot. This is even more true for older adults and children—the two groups that are at highest risk for serious flu complications. Flu shots work in slightly different ways for these two groups, but they are still very important.

Ultimately, research has shown that a majority of people who are vaccinated against the flu have significantly less severe symptoms and fewer complications when they get sick than those who are unvaccinated.

Why You May Still Get Sick After a Flu Shot

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Heard it from multiple players, Pippen was one that I thought of.. Not sure Ive ever heard Jalen Rose speak. Pretty well known this was a common thing for him. Like unpaid gambling debts, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I get a flu shot every year but still got the flu just before Thanksgiving. The new medication called Xofluza had me back to normal in two days. If they gave him Xofluza, he will be good to go on Saturday. I was amazed at how fast and effective the medicine was. It’s a lot better than Tamiflu.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I was going to say that's what they say.

I've heard the flu shot helps reduce symptoms of other strains a number of times from various MDs that the various news shows trot out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Plus you drink Blanton's. ;)
    In the words of my good friend and legendary jazz guitarist William Barnard, "I don't get sick. I drink!" :emoji_tumbler_glass:

12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    They have good medicine in the athletic infirmary.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We might not but who knows. I’d rather have him away from his teammates. We can’t worry about it and lose sleep. Just a game .
    Playing golf tomorrow and maybe watch the end at the bar. Either way everyone have a great weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife and I are allergic to thimerosol, a preservative in the flu shots, but tamiflu works amazingly well

15. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Jalen Rose was the only person I could find online saying it. How did you end up talking to Pippen and apparently multiple players from the Bulls and/or Jazz? That’s pretty rad. Like you said, the gambling thing is well known but him having enough of a lack of control to get that wasted before game 5 of the Finals is hard to believe.

16. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Calling DR P.

if the UF doctors are calling it the flu, it’s most likely the flu.

I understand most garden variety flu lasts about a week, twice that of a garden variety cold. Getting a flu shot reduces the chance of getting it and severity if you do get it. We get the shot every year and will take Tamiflu if we do get it as, like you said, the flu can kill you. Killed my boss’s ex-wife.

17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    That may be true but it could also be coincidental. I had Flu B last week. Fever, chills and headache for 2 days. Body aches the 3rd but no other symptoms other than lingering weakness a bit. I didn't take any antivirals and my worst symptoms cleared in 2 days. I have heard the flu hasn't been lasting as long this year in general which of course is....also anecdotal

18. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The CDC said this years shot will have about a 46% success rate which is actually higher than the historical rate of 40%. Last years version was only successful about 26% of the time. So...while in some cases it will reduce the severity of he flu it historically has been less than 50% effective in preventing people from getting the flu.

Flu facts curtesy of NPR yesterday morning. Heard this update between classical music plays.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly!! And yesterday I had some Pappy Van Winkle to make sure I’m extra vaccinated this season!

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I tested positive for type “A” flu when I had it.