Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Andrew Nembhard - NBA draft prospects good

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tampajack1, May 21, 2022.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just stating the facts ma’am.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Great analogy!

BTW, I like Kramer...in measured doses. I think I see "him" coming with Glover now.

You have to go to 1:35. Sorry, this was all I could find.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The question is would he have fared so well had he stayed?

4. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It depends on whether he listened to White or not.

I won't say whether that would have been beneficial or damaging.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    We had talent in AN's sophomore year comparable to the talent that Gonzaga had in AN's junior year. We were an average team. Gonzaga was a great team. AN made the right decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I do not disagree, but we don't always get to project upward. About the best analogy (although there are basketball analogies) is Cam Newton. He left and then he was a Heisman Trophy winner. How much of his progress was based on his maturity by changing his environment? No, I am not saying AN was a malcontent who needed to move to the West Coast to finally get what Mike was asking him to do, I am saying one more year older and a change of scenery can do a LOT of things.

And I am not into parsing the qualities of all the parts of any team (including UF's), but I would say THE biggest issue with AN at UF wasn't his not getting what Mike wanted him to do, it was the remaining players, the bigs especially, who weren't getting what Mike wanted from them.

To me, he was the basketball equivalent of Mus-take. He saw the game through too limited glasses. He gave the offense base value to success but was manic in what he wanted from defense. And his direction gave everyone a bad case of "Paralysis by Analysis." Probably THE most damning player - and there were plenty - showing Mike's coaching disconnect was the freshman white shooting forward on either the 2018/19 or 2019/2020 team (I do not recall his name and number). He was a talented shooter and capable on defense, but Mike's coaching completely took him out of his game, and he left the program. Mike just didn't recover from losing all the bigs all the time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  7. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Basketball is a team game, and AN might have been the ultimate team player in college hoops. We saw AN play that way at Montverde and again at Gonzaga. Unfortunately, he was forced into playing one-on-one basketball at UF, and it didn’t work. Many of us, including myself, were not happy with AN. At some point, it dawned on me that it was not AN’s fault. At that point, for his sake, I was hoping he would transfer. Chiozza also was forced into playing that one-on-one style of play although he was another terrific team player. KJ, who is a great team player, was able to play his game amidst the chaos, i.e., take the open shot, take the straight line drive, pass to the open man. He did that at IMG and Oak Hill, and he continued to do it at UF. But that was the exception rather than the rule during the past 7 seasons at UF. Scottie Lewis, who has a similar style of play as KJ, couldn’t do it. McKissic couldn’t do it and his 3-point percentage dropped from 42.9% in his previous season to 24.3% at UF. Jones also suffered. So, AN did himself a huge favor by getting out, and he has a 4-year NBA contract to show for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Better, IMO. I think the Gators would have been better, and he would have gotten a majority of the credit. At Gonzaga, he was overshadowed by Suggs and Holmgren in media coverage and hype. At UF, he was the main focus. Probably a 1st round pick out of Gainesville.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a chance, but it's just my opinion.

11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You have to keep in mind that he played two years at Gonzaga. So we are not talking about last season, but the season when Mann and Lewis were drafted. Clearly, Mann has a higher upside than Nembhard and is simply a better athlete and better skilled. Any competent coach would have relegated Nembhard to the bench which might not have had such a negative connotation on a team playing for a national championship, but playing for a lower-tier SEC program, it would have hurt his draft stock.

12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Nembhard would have started at the 1 and Mann at the 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    There is no way they wouldn’t both be on the court at same time as starters. Both can play 1 or 2. I’d put nembhard at 1 and mann at 2

15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    AN was constantly thinking of going pro and immature while at UF. Missed critical summer development period playing with Canadian team and following year missed time while working out for NBA teams prior to deciding to return to college. Was not invested in team while at UF.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    I get your points but he was practicing/playing with an Olympic team that summer. I think that was pretty good experience/development

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Not true. He busted his butt at UF playing a system that didn’t work for him or the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Mann is not a shooting guard and neither is Nembhard. Both need the ball the majority of the time to be effective. It is why Nembhard transferred. He knew that Mann was a superior talent as a freshman and really should have started over him his freshman year. But because we were dealing with the level of professionalism or lack thereof with White, he basically stagnated Mann's freshman year, and allowed Nembhard to prove what we already knew, that he could not run the offense that White wanted to run.

I hope both of their careers soar in NBA, but I don't know if you are going to see the same level of takeover ability from Nembhard as we saw last year in the NBA from Mann.

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Mann is not a shooting guard and is a way better penetrator than Nembhard and finisher. Nembhard is a superior passer, but in order for Mann to be at maximum productivity, he has to have the ball. That is why Nembhard left. Nembhard would be disastrous at the 2. His superior skill set is in dishing the ball and creating mismatches.

20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Mann is the prototypical point guard in modern basketball. He is not a shooting guard. If someone else (see his freshman year at Florida) is going to get the primary responsibility for handling the ball, then you are going to get a severely diminished version of Mann. He can be downright lethal when he handles the ball, however.