Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Andrew Nembhard ‏ Declared

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by JBSouthpaw, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Sophomore

Oct 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    i could be wrong, but i'm guessing the feedback he gets will bring him back for another year.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I know there are some who have argued his nba readiness, but I’ve heard nba scouts love his game.
    It wouldnt be a total shock if he heard he is draft ready and made the jump.
    That said, I think he has been excited about next years team and the players coming in. He had already told coach that he was ready to assume a leadership role next season. So those type of signs point to this being an exploratory process

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Wow, love the kid but I just don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    That was a well crafted "declaration". Doesn't sound like goodbye to me. Hopefully he just wants to see how he grades out and will be back for at least one more year. But this tells me he is definitely gone next year if not this year, unless he really struggles shooting. Unless Tre Mann goes after next year, we'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    would surprise me if he was a take after 1 just above average year but stranger things have happened

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree.
    I’d be surprised to see him playing here as a junior. Scouts do like his game, so this is the year to compete and withdraw. But surround him with a bunch of skilled scorers ... I wouldn’t be shocked to see him show out and get really good feedback.
    I hope he comes back and think he will. And there definitely are parts of his game that can improve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Andrew needs at least another year to strengthen his body.
    He's not particularly fast and he certainly isn't strong.
    I hope he's just setting the table for declaring next year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    how long does he have to withdraw his name and when is the late signing period? It's great for the kids to be able to get the feedback but definitely puts the schools in somewhat of a bind, though I'm sure after their conversations Coach has an idea on the where his head is at and which way he's leaning

If he keeps his name in, any chance Okaru withdraws his name from transfer portal and comes back or was that bridge burned?

10. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    Three and done - yes

One and done - no

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    This would shock me. I'm thinking he just wants feedback on what parts of his game and body/athleticism to work on. There's no risk on his end. It's almost a no-brainer in the sense that he learns about the process for next year (or whenever) and gets the feedback that he will certainly take to heart. He's a mature kid and this is the smart play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Basically no reason for a guy like Nembhard not to declare with the rules being what they are.

• Agree Agree x 8
  13. fijigator

fijigator Sophomore

Apr 4, 2019
    He has a high ceiling which is why there might be an NBA team or two right now with interest. He reminds me of someone the Spurs would take. Very humble personality, elite passing ability, just tough as nails. And he hasn't even reached most of his potential. Next year he's probably going to be a beast and then he'll be a first rounder, if the one-and-done rule hasn't ended. I think that's what pressures a lot of these borderline kids to leave, they don't want to stay and then later find out that a rule is changing and now you're going to have to compete with not only the elite one-and-doners but the elites who just got out of high school.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    You are very likely right.

But this is a one-time option, so it does speak to Andrew's not-so-long term plans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Even if he comes back for this next season he is gone the next year as players can only do this once. Not good news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    That is the only perceived risk, and yes, it clues us in to his long-term (short-term?) plans. Unless the feedback is dreadful, he'll be gone after next season (assuming he takes the next step in his development).

18. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    I'm not sure about a high ceiling. But if he improves his shooting I would say he has a high floor. He'll never be on par athletically with most PG's at the next level but he has the size, mental makeup, and b-ball IQ to play in the league for a long time. I don't see a future all-star, but a very solid player.

19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Nembhard's an interesting prospect. He's one of those rare guys who came in as a true freshman with on-court intelligence and basketball skills that exceed his athleticism. There's not a ton of athleticism there left to exploit, and to the extent that he's already a smart, heady player there might not be a ton of room left for him to fill that gap between talent and wisdom that exists for most players.

The untapped potential for him is probably in his shot - you don't need elite athleticism to be a good shooter, and if Nembhard can hone his jumper and free throw stroke that can go a long way toward rounding out his game.

Now, what that means is an open question. Maybe the lack of raw athleticism hurts his draft stock enough that it's worth sticking around in the NCAA for a while. Or maybe it means that it's worth striking while the iron is hot - if he declares now he'll do so as a 19 year old, and younger is better in the NBA. A year or two in college isn't going to make him jump any higher or run any faster, and full-time investment in basketball might be what he needs at this point

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    I can't disagree with a lot of this. He's not ready for the NBA as his shot needs a lot of work. But other than getting stronger, I agree he is what he is athletically. I don't see him getting drafted this summer. Let's just hope he prefers college to the G League.