Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

And the fans were great!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Feb 10, 2020.

1. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I’m positive he would have had to agree to the date. Do they even have coaches anymore in the ASG now that the “captains” pick the teams?

3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Not sure. My age may be showing

4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not going to have to worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach Donovan's tribute to Gainesville as a place that he and his family call home was a high point in his three minute talk. Just as electric was the introduction at a second half time out of so many of Donovan's former players who were in attendance with the Rowdy Reptiles. Great evening glad I was there!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    3 straight NCAA appearances with an Elite 8 mixed in there, a good chance to make it this year, and he hasn't had success? o_O

It's not like he's melting down like this year's UNC. Let's be honest, our seniors last year let us down. Allen and Hudson lost all their mojo, and that wasn't White's fault. It was inexplicable. They were supposed to lead the team to a deep tournament run. Getting rid of White would be a big mistake, and more importantly, who do you think we can get that is better and available?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    How do you know that it wasn’t White’s fault that Allen and Hudson lost their mojo? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t but to claim it definitely wasn’t White’s coaching is just your opinion.

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Brother, how can a coach make them start missing open shots?

9. There's apparently no limit to the foolishness we will speculate about when it comes Coach Mike White. Congrats to CMW on a great win against Vanderbilt on Billy Donovan Night. It was a great, great win. Here's to the continued development of Payne, Jitoboh and Bassett. We need all three to contribute down the stretch in order to have a better chance of reaching our real potential.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    It wasn’t as simple as that. Allen would go for long periods of time without attempting or looking for a shot. A coach can make or break a player’s confidence. Hudson was known for his offense but digressed under White in his last season. I’m not saying White was 100% the cause but it is peculiar that both of those guys took a step backwards while playing for him.

11. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Do you mean like we have been doing in previous games??

12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    While it is possible that White is a phony and tears down his players behind closed doors, it is far more likely that Allen and Hudson struggled by their own fault. I concede that a coach can ruin a player’s effectiveness on the court but the telltale signs for that were not present. Usually when a coach is ruining a player, he’s pulling them out and cutting their playing time. By everything I could see, that was not happening. In fact, White seemed to be trying everything to give both of them opportunities to excel.

It wasn’t peculiar to me. Do we blame Billy D for Kasey Hill playing with no confidence?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Huh?

Not sure what you are trying to say, here.

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m not saying get rid of him, I’ve maintained for like 2 years if he misses the tourney then you entertain that idea, but not before missing the tourney. It all has to do with the direction of the program. Last year even if we collapsed totally, didn’t matter, because THIS was his big recruiting class - his monster recruiting class was the direction of the program.

Problem is for like 2 years now we’ve been right on that edge. Last year we were like 20-16, not great. This year obviously had very high expectations due to the aforementioned recruiting class, so even being close to the bubble is disappointing. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t disagree you want to see if he can build it back up over multiple years, but if we keep having high player turnover then what?

• Like Like x 1
  15. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Good Lord some people are just typing to type at this point!!
    If we run the table and make an Elite 8 there still would be some who would rip CMW on here.
    Are there some issues? Yep.. Are they all this staff's fault? Nope... Sometimes teams gel and sometimes they do not.
    Bad communication between players offered by CMW is code in my world that they as of pre TAMU the team just has not become a cohesive group.
    Takes time some years, never happens others, it just clicks from day one on other's.

I see some of the same human being traits in White as Donovan. I will hope he stays for years to come.

Go Gators

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I remember Brett Nelson went into a crazy slump his senior year. Sometimes it happens.

Problem is White hasn’t really had that special 4 year guy yet - or guy that took his game to another level under White - or group that he developed as a great team over 2-3-4 years. The elite 8 obviously brought him some cred, but not lifetime credibility, he still needs to show positives. Show progress.

Chiozza obviously had some moments in that elite 8 season, so I’m not going to take that away from White. That combo worked. Hill actually showed improvement his final season too, though obviously his whole career was hurt by shooting struggles - I never blamed coaching - it was apparent from day 1 with BD that was an issue for Hill individually.

Whites issue the last 3 years has been not really getting things to click with HIS players. Once the roster became 100% his. The offensive droughts is a persistent issue across seasons. Lots of player turnover, 1 especially bad recruiting class (in what should have been his first full no-excuses program building class) which is why we are so young right now. Obviously things need to play out, the assumption is still we will have more turnover so it’s just difficult to see a clear direction.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just to be clear, "HIS players" means, in the primary rotation...3 sophomores and 5 freshmen.

Yes, getting that to click consistently might be a challenge. His offensive numbers, despite this, are (I believe) his best yet at Florida.

I think there's hope. I reserve the right to revisit this on March 7th at 4PM Eastern. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think it can be argued that Johnson and Locke at this point might be those guys. I think we all (myself included) underestimated how much time it would take 1. 9 new players 2. 5 of them freshmen to gel. We seem to allow growing pains in other teams (see: Kentucky) with young, new players, but didn't with our own. It remains to be seen how we play in the next 2-3 weeks, but if we continue to turn the corner, we might see this team come close to reaching its potential. They're finally playing like a cohesive unit.

Also, few of us are willing to admit that the ride with Billy was not all smiles and sunshine. There were plenty of fans throughout his tenure calling for his head; when he couldn't get out of the 1st weekend or sent to the NIT. We're a fickle fanbase. It's easy to remember all the good with Billy, but we also have to remember that he was human too and made errors. Let's try to give White the benefit of the doubt, at least until the end of the season when we can judge this season's entire body of work.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder how often in the last 10 years we've had freshmen getting this many minutes. Maybe it's not as high as it seems. But we've had lots of stretches with 3+ of them on the floor at once.

• Agree Agree x 1