Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

And THAT is why I hate fouling...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 10, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    UCLA just completed... then botched ....a torrid comeback in the final minute or so. They trailed 9 with about one minute left.
    Anyway... they closed it to 3 and were in bounding in their backcourt with 3.2 seconds left. Oregon fouled instantly. UCLA guy goes to the line.. makes the first. He then intentionally misses the second. UCLA grabs rebound AND ONE!
    UCLA clanked what would have been a game winning free throw, so it is now OT.
    I know there are analytics that suggest fouling there, but I hate it. And my nightmare scenario just nearly unfolded for Oregon.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    UCLA wins in OT.

Interestingly, bruins were up 3, and Oregon had the ball in the final seconds.
    UCLA played it straight up. Oregon missed. Ball game.

3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I guess Walton was happy. Don't know because I had it on mute like every other Walton broadcast o_O.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Its always just felt like cheating to me. I know that it's obviously allowed but it seems very arbitrary - like an end of game loophole that shouldn't exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah... I can understand that.

I’m kinda the same in the sense that I would hate to lose “artificially”. If I’m gonna lose...I’d “rather” lose playing straight up.

6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    With our bigs, we'd be better off just playing straight up. The statistics are around the same whether you foul or not, around 84% chance of either strategy working, but you'd better have some reliable rebounders should you foul.

7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    True scenario -

The year Indiana went unbeaten they were playing Michigan.
    Had a late (miracle) put back by Benson off a missed free throw that preserved the unbeaten record for IU.

Of course I'm still hurting from the accidental tip in by u know who against FSU
    that cost us the game, Billy's last year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Wow, you are kidding, I turned it off with like 4 minutes, it seemed Oregon was blowing them out. Walton was talking about everything but the game.

9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Bill is making me rethink my stance in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Fouls usually put points on the board. Running seconds end the game. Pretty simple really.