Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

And so it has begun

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jul 14, 2019.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    • Best Post Ever x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Many on the left have no issues with deporting those who have entered illegally and/or have had their day in court and have been denied visas. The vast majority of those on the left believe we have to have restrictions on entry into the country.

Most on the left oppose the use of a manufactured crisis on the border used to drum up fear and hatred toward immigrants, oppose inhumane treatment of those being held pending deportation proceedings, and unnecessary separation of children from their parents.

Obama deported more than Trump has so far with some, but relatively little outcry. The reason (IMO) was that he targeted those just coming into the country by focusing on the border states and those with criminal convictions, while Trump has actively encouraged ICE to go after those who may have unlawfully entered 20-30 or more years ago, who have not been in legal trouble and who now have roots in this country and innocent children who have been born to those immigrants.

If Trump would tone down the vitriol and work toward reasonable resolution of the issues, I think we could work out an enhanced worker-visa program that both sides could agree to, would provide the unskilled labor force many of our industries/agricultural interests need and allow pathways to permanent residence and/or citizenship for those who merit it.

• Winner x 10
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Too much ignorance of the whole situation.

I've not seen one segment in the news that fully explained everything so I could understand it.

Who are these people being targeted?

Are they people who could have applied for citizenship and just gave it the middle finger?

Or are they good people who deserve to be here more than many of our 'legal' citizens?

And if they do not "deserve" to be here - why are we only doing something about this now?

Why doesn't this work like me getting a speeding/DUI ticket - I pay and go on my way or don't pay and my license gets revoked. Next time I get pulled over - I get fined and/or jail time.

Who are these people - give me the numbers. How many are not contributing to our society and how many are?

I don't get the whole deal - too much political hit pieces and not enough actual information for the average person like me to understand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah I'm definitely not crying about this.

6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why aren’t we using all our green cards? Yes, I understand the categories but they haven’t always followed those either.

https://www.cato.org/blog/congress-...WZwILNRp8zt1ozznXazPvi8KmY193Jo7bo_tmV_cEb1G4

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    and for the conspiracy theorists....was the new york city blackout last night just a coincidence:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Deporting people who have been here for years with the tacit approval of the federal, state and local governments is a great idea for Trump because it solidifies his base. Otherwise, he couldn’t give 2 poops. Anyone want to guess which people get deported, i.e., the brown folks who came in across the border or the white folks who flew in, overstayed their visas, and never left?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    10 maybe, if you deport all 12 million. And half of them probably vote for the ‘pubs.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Then no complaints, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    First they came for the illegal immigrants...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    As long as my taxes don’t go up as a result of these raids I don’t care.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Even these two mayors are confused.......

And according to her, the Atlanta's mayor's eight year old....apparently didn't even know if he and his older brother (11) were born in America!

Yet the president gets the blame.

Sheer stupidity.

14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Why would I have no complaints? You don’t throw people out of the country when you have let them stay here for years and years. This lack of humanity by a segment of our population is not a new thing. We turned away European Jews in the 1930’s and sent them back to die in concentration camps. This is just the current iteration of what’s been going on for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Will be interesting to see the local economic impact if there is a large deportation number. Those picked up and those that go into hiding won't be showing up to work.
    The indirect scare tactic on a large number of people is the real purpose here.

With unemployment at its lowest point, no one will be picking up the slack of the low paying grunt work.

Remember the last time there was a big push...
    Both AL and GA took a big economic hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't remember where I was born. I mean, I was there, but I was a little distracted as I was busy going from point A to point B, then some geezer slaps my butt, and then they cut this thing coming out of my stomach. I saw there was this document that stated where and when I was born, but I've seen a LOT of forged documents in my days. For all I know I'm an alien transported to earth by the mothership from Planet Remulak. I did have a side hustle as a driving instructor one time. Who knows? ;):D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Can someone please ELI5 why this matters so much? I'm really just exasperated about all the attention this gets.

19. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know what EL15 is, but this matters to some people because they have a heart.

20. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    For many, I anticipate it’s rooted in their Christian beliefs.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1