Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anatomy of a (baseball) rebuild year

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by kgator27, Jul 11, 2018.

1. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    For now, yes, I think those holes will have to be plugged with JUCO guys. Its that simple. Lots of other teams do it. Sully has never had to do much of it. Big schools have been doing this more. Usually only a one year guy, if they are real good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Concerned is a reasonable disposition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But...is it getting a bit late to find good Juco infielders?

4. kgator27

kgator27 Junior

Jun 30, 2018
    If there is a solid Juco MIF of SEC caliber, do you really think he's sitting around the house a month from Fall classes starting still waiting for the phone to ring? Yeah, me neither.

Gonna have to go with Blake, Brady Mc (and the mystery wrist), and Brady Smith at 2nd, SS and 3rd I believe, with 3 true Freshmen (Acton, Pena Armstrong) and Juco IF Brock Howard to push them. Those be the numbers gents.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is still a decent possibility that there will be an another addition to the roster but if it doesn’t happen, UF will still be fine as long as McConnell comes back healthy. He and Reese are returning starters from opening day last season. Howard can play both MIF positions and Acton could push at 2B also. Smith is not in the plans at 3B right now but Pena and Armstrong are two very good prospects who can compete at that position.

True FR have to be counted on in college baseball all the time so we are not the only team facing that issue. Heck, I think the 2015 team may have been Sully’s best team at UF and three true FR started that season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Went over to Perfect Game to see the write-ups they had on potential 3rd basemen Pena and Armstrong. Suggest you do so too - fascinating reads.

From what PG said they are big athletic types with good footwork and strong arms. So much so they are also considered pitching prospects. Pena is said to be a great hitting prospect.

We'll have to wait till Fall practice (Octoberish) to get news of their skills.

Have any of you seen them play? If so please weigh in on this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Shouldn't we be talking about this being a reloading year and not a rebuilding year?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. kgator27

kgator27 Junior

Jun 30, 2018
    Started this thread a while back (Aug?) while reviewing the roster for next year. As things developed this Fall, I continue to think this is a rebuild year. We will have 3 upper class (Jr and Sr) contributors in Dyson, Lang and Dalton, with Nelly helping with the bat. I hear there was one more JR roster casualty over the break who wont be on the team. Will not name names at this point as sounds like off the field issues. The 2016 recruiting class has just been decimated (only Dys and Lang left contributing), and they should be the heart and soul of this year’s team.

As any sports follower knows, you can have a talented team, but TYPICALLY you have upper class, experienced leadership when you win Championships.

For anyone at the Team USA game in Nov, you may have noticed the starting lineup by class:
    C - So
    1B - Fr
    2B - Fr
    SS - RsFr
    3B - Fr
    RF. - Fr
    CF - Jr
    LF - Jr
    P’s used - So, So, Fr, So, So, Fr, RsFr.
    Giving young guys experience? Maybe, but I’m not sure what upperclassmen would have been in the lineup if I were coach (other than Dys who was shut down by then).

Helllooo 2020.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good post and unfortunately, I have heard the same regarding a JR that we were counting on not returning. We will have a young team although the OF is stocked with veterans and we added a stud FR, Fabian, to the mix this spring. Yes, the IF is going to be very inexperienced and we could see some growing pains there but we have some really good young prospects that hopefully grow up fast. We have been spoiled by all the CWS appearances of late and while reaching that goal will be even more difficult this year, I think we still have a chance to be very good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

sting—

Agreed—I also think we have a chance to be very good—

The “Sully Standard” is a huge cut above the accepted standard—with Sully we should always like our chances—

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Defensively the key players are (in order) Catcher, Shortstop, 2nd Base, and Centerfield. You may argue about the last two in the order.

We will not have a Mike Z behind the plate, but I think we are OK there.

At SS we have a highly regarded kid that spent a year in the wilderness. If he is as competitive as I think that he is we will be OK there. If not, we will have a problem.

We have a lot of outfield talent, so I am not afraid of centerfield.

It would be great to have a Joe Morgan at second base. I would be more than happy to have a Nellie Fox there.

• Agree Agree x 1