Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anatomy of a (baseball) rebuild year

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by kgator27, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kgator27

kgator27 Junior

Jun 30, 2018
    Here's some offseason discussion material:

Let's start with the premise that it takes 18-20 players to make a solid team. 8-9 position players and 10-11 pitchers. 10 P's coming from 4 games a week, 2-3 pitchers per game.

For averages, let's say 2 seniors stay and contribute, so you need 18 players from the 3 classes (FR, SOPH, JR) or about 6 "contributing" players per class, ideally the oldest (JR) class has even more contributors so you aren't relying on many Freshmen to be SEC ready. This year was a great example with 6 Juniors Singer, Kowar, Byrne, India, Liput, Reese.

So how has the 2016 (now JR) recruiting class panned out?

Andrew Baker - Minimal innings.
    Keenan Bell - Left program
    Austin Langworthy - Major contributor
    Nick Long - Left program
    Garrett Milchin - Role player as freshman, Redshirted in 2018.
    Tyler Dyson - Anyone's guess what 2019 holds for his contributions.
    Kirby McMullen - Minimal contribution.
    Billy McKay - Left program
    Cameron Weinberger - Left program
    Cole Maye - Minimal innings as freshman, redshirted in 2018.

We have 1 guy - Langworthy - who we can "expect" to contribute. Add Dalton (a Juco xfer) for a total 2 Juniors who will be expected to lead the team.

For this coming year's team to live up to the UF standard, the Sophs, incoming Fresh and the Juco xfers are going to have to carry much more of the load than any coach would desire. The lack of experienced leadership tells me it will be a rebuilding year, unless a bunch of unknowns really step it up.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Good Analysis and approach to it. Some of the concern is offset by the fact that 3 freshmen arms threw SEC weekends and in Omaha. Brady Smith got a ton of experience and Brady McConnell looked to be the starting SS before injury. With Dalton, Lang, Reese, Nellie and Smith the batting lineup shouldn’t be too shabby either. Doesn’t look too bad on paper - can’t wait to see what it looks like on clay.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously, the 2016 class hasn’t worked out as expected but if you include Dalton in the group, it looks a lot better. Langworthy had a solid season and hopefully improves as a JR. Dalton has a chance to be all-SEC and a very high draft pick in 2019. One key is the return to form of Dyson and if that happens, the rising JR class will be very key to the success of next year’s team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. macbgator

macbgator Premium Member

Has it been announced that Bell is leaving and where is he going if so???

6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Thought he was just giving up baseball. Had enough.

7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [QUOTE="MatsideObserver, Brady McConnell looked to be the starting SS before injury[/QUOTE]

Brady McConnell was an error producing machine with horrible technique before his injury. Let's hope he is correcting those mistakes. He is badly needed next year.

8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Brady McConnell was an error producing machine with horrible technique before his injury. Let's hope he is correcting those mistakes. He is badly needed next year.[/QUOTE]
    He certainly wasnt sharp, but he had 3 errors and i know at least one of those was a bad bad hop that he couldnt do anything about. Did turn 3 dp as well. His bat was really the issue before injury, but its generally felt that is his strength

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Brady McConnell was an error producing machine with horrible technique before his injury. Let's hope he is correcting those mistakes. He is badly needed next year.[/QUOTE]

You must have watched a different Brady than I did. He was in no danger of being mistaken for Dalton Guthrie but IMO this is not a fair portrayal of him.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    At this point in time I personally think the sample size of work displayed by Brady McConnell while on campus is too small to pass judgment on--there are plenty of things to talk about and bounce back and forth as far as his potential and future at UF--we know he was highly touted coming out of HS--we know he has the more proto-type body for the position--without the injury the most important thing suffering or lacking was reps on the stage he currently is a part of--time will supply these answers I'm going to say--

Some really interesting things said in posts about Brady that brings several things into light--of course when you're new any error, mis-cue or failure seems to be highlighted--let's not forget that we are fans of a game measured by failure--as @apkgator says his bat was really the issue before injury but it was generally felt that it is his strength--@spikesnlaces referred to Brady being stubborn with conforming to Weitzels mechanical demands--my question I'd ask spikes to clarify since Brady had struggles both at the plate and in the field were you talking about hitting mechanics (which is what I thought you meant) or was it mechanical issues routing to hit balls then fielding and throwing--interesting either way--as @MatsideObserver stated Brady is just one part of the pieces of next year's success or struggles--3 freshman arms got valuable experience on the mound in the SEC last year as did Dalton, Brady Smith, Lang, Reese and Nellie--Hopefully we get a healthy and hitting on all 8 cylinders Tyler Dyson back to boot--
    I look forward to watching and cheering for the challenges in front of our Gators!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

Dang, give the kid a chance before calling him out. He is a very good prospect who just only lacks a really good feel for the game. But, to an extent, so did Richie Martin when he arrived and he ended up having a really good college career and is playing well in the A’s system right now.

If he stays healthy, McConnell will be a very good player for UF next season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Look, I'm hoping mightily Brady makes it and...am a huge McConnell fan.

I remember being, along with others here, disappointed with his performance in the field. Sully began taking him out before the injury.

And to add to my point he was having problems making accurate throws to 1st base on outputs. Not good.

And please allow me to repeat...I am totally for this guy.

To bolster my original point he was dragging his senior year at Merrit Island. Some pro scouts saw this and were concerned.

Last year he was considered our #1 recruit.

Here's hoping he becomes exactly that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do we know when his injury actually happened? When he stopped playing altogether may have been well after issues started.
    I didnt see him in his last spring of high school. What do you mean by dragging?

14. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Brady will be solid.
    This will be a fun year for the hard core baseball fun. Sully will mold this team. We can expect to lose the players we lost and just continue on, we lost a ton.
    History tells me Sully will figure the pitching out, we'll have some drop off. I expect guys to step up.
    Next years team will be a more dink and dunk type team. Lots of "boring games" for the average fan. I have a big concern of who will replace Bryne. He was so rock solid. This team needs to find a replacement fast, lots of close games means we need someone on the back end to shut it down. Does anyone know how many JUCO's we are looking at? I think it could be a considerable part of next year's team. We haven't had to go this route much, lots of teams have great success.
    Be patient gator fans. In Sully I trust.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Dragging - backsliding. Pros noted he didn't look as sharp as he did earlier in his high school years.

I am gathering from all this that these are issues that can be corrected.

16. kgator27

kgator27 Junior

Jun 30, 2018
    Here's to hoping Brady McConnell does bring it in 2019, cause Shane Shifflett has left the program.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Ugh...I had hopes for the athletic Shifflett. He was improving as a fielder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

5220--

I'd have to guess that Shifflett didn't like what he was hearing from the staff with regards to expected/projected playing time--or something else was going on we don't know about--

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    you can go crazy in a hurry trying to figure out the reasons college age kids make the decisions they do, I know I still wonder why I did some of the things I did and it has been 50 years :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    With Shifflett and Ciccarella leaving we are rather thin at infield.

Should I be concerned?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1