Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Analyzing Florida’s Offensive Play Calls/Everything You Need To Know About Florida’s Offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I looked up the definition of "chin screen" in the Urban Dictionary, and I don't recommend it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Thanks Eric. Great analysis and very informative article, as always!!

4. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you! I appreciate you reading!

5. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    This was great Eric. Very good insights. It is interesting that play calling has changed over the last few games due to early struggles. Changing offensive identity during the season will be hard to pull off smoothly but the long break will hopefully help.

I can’t help but think AN’s long time away from the program this summer is a big part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    As much as I think it probably helped his personal game, I don’t think it helped team chemistry as they missed their point guard

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Great stuff, Eric! Thanks!

A consistent diet of pick-and-roll is what I like to see from Nembhard as I mentioned in the "Nembhard and Blackshear" thread a couple of weeks ago:

Eric - Do you have any stats on what the team's points-per-possession (ppp) stats are with particular players on the floor? There was a linked article in another thread where the author gave ppp stats showing that our ppp is slightly better with Blackshear on the floor. With so many posters wanting to see Nembhard's minutes reduced, I was curious what the ppp stats showed for Nembhard on and off the floor.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Exceptional work. Top notch research - thanks for that time investment! And it really reads well. Great descriptions. A teaching aid - Thanks for the illumination and education.

I think at the start of the season we thought we’d have multiple players to operate the motion O: slashers at the wings with Lewis and Mann, AN too, and even KJ. What happened along the way??

9. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    AN is just not well suited for it, Lewis is very raw offensively, Mann was probably set back by the concussion and lacks confidence.

We should get better at it as Lewis and Mann gain more confidence and Ques gets comfortable running the show.

10. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Almost sounds as though there are so many different wrinkles that White has tried to implement into the offense that none of them are quite sure what to do. Maybe he needs to simplify it and let them use their instincts and natural talent in a motion offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I'm no X's and O's expert, but I've heard that actual motion (Websters: motion - The action or process of moving or being moved) is a pretty important aspect in a motion offense.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Thanks for doing this. Very in-depth look at what we have been doing up to this point. It would be nice to see the coaches take a look at this breakdown.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    WOW EF !! Impressive and very informative. Thank you for your time and effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I think you misunderstood me. The point I was trying to make is that White could use a motion offense that is simple to learn and it would be more effective than throwing in so many wrinkles that it is causing the players to think too much instead of playing to their natural instincts and feel for the game.

15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thanks @Efawcett7 , always appreciate your work, actually read it through :)
    and resulting insights

16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I have no doubt the team is on a steep learning curve and that has an impact on what we are seeing.
    The problem with "simplifying" is that is actually makes it more complex. The mis-characterization of the DDO-motion offense is that you roll a ball out there and the kids go play and just do their thing. While it does offer a lot more freedom, it also requires much more read and react responsibilities. It only really becomes fluid when players know different reads and where to go AND where their teammates will go.

Last year White said the team was much more comfortable with 'set plays'- which moreso dictates where to go and what options to look for. It seems this team is trending the same. I sat very close to the court in Chalreston, and White was calling set nearly every time down the floor. That is a bit atypical.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Something is not atypical when it has become the norm over 2 seasons with drastically different rosters FYI..what it actually is is what the coach wants to do, or the best the coach can do

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I understood. That's why I clicked agree with your post. I think you might have misunderstood my attempt at humor (or maybe it just wasn't funny). I was basically scoffing at our so-called "motion offense" since more often than not guys are just standing around w/ terrible spacing, poor cutting, poor screening, poor everything. I've already endorsed a fast break, playground style.....because I've given up on this halfcourt offense and glacial pace being efficient at any point this season.

• Like Like x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    You misunderstood my comment. I was intending to say that it is atypical for a coach to call a set play virtually every time down the floor.

20. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Gotcha...my mistake

• Friendly Friendly x 1