Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Analysis of the Softball Roster Moving Forward

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by scrappygator, Jun 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 6.32.18 PM.png
    The above screenshot shows this past year's roster minus 00, who was a senior and will not come back.
    My wish is that we proceed with the discussion using only numbers and not names. I'm not trying to objectify the ladies, but just do not want their names thrown around.
    Solid Performers
    #1-Hit .284 with much of the production coming late in the season. Played a solid 2B with a .972 FP, with 5 errors in 179 chances. Stepped up when moved to the 3rd spot.
    #14-Best catcher on the team, had some trouble with passed balls late in the year, but has strong and accurate arm. Hit .262 with 9 HR. Oddly enough, the official statistics show her with no errors, but I don't think that is correct. Still a solid job.
    #32-Played mostly as the DP, but caught some games, and was adequate, but not as good as #14. Was hitting .387 after the Arkansas series, but slowly slid to a final BA of .330. She hit 15 HR's. She had 14 through 4/13, and did not hit another one until the Alabama game in the WCWS. Still a solid first year in the SEC.
    #74-Along with Amanda, was the spark plug of the team. Played an outstanding SS, with a fielding percentage of .980 with 4 errors in 197 chances. Hit .251, but had some important hits toward the end of the year. Loved her HR against Alabama in the WCWS.
    Played, But Did Not Develop As Expected
    #2-A freshman of whom a lot was expected. But she gets a pass because of her ACL recovery. Showed some flashes during the season, and expect her to develop over time.
    #7-Was the leadoff hitter for NC State for 2 years. Hit .389 her freshman year, and had 7 triples. I think this shows the difference between ACC and SEC pitching. She really was not effective as a hitter this year. She hit .219. Her outfield play was good, with only one error.
    #8-Amazing 3B, who made some spectacular plays. Had a .969 fielding percentage, with 4 errors. But, her hitting leaves much to be desired. Hit .167. She had a key hit toward the end of the year. Hit well in HS, but that has not translate to college.
    #9-Came in pretty hyped, and has done some things to expect more, but not as we thought. Hit .243 with 7 HR's, with 36 SO's. Too many SO's in critical situations. Officially, she did not have an error, but does not have the instincts of an outfielder. I don't know what her natural position is. Still have to be thankful for her W/O against Tennessee.
    #10-Came in as a hyped player. Was a member of the USA Softball National Women's Team, and MaxPrep All-State in CA for 2 years. Had a 2.02 ERA, and showed some flashes against USCe and Boise State. Maybe the transition of pitching coaches had an effect.
    #15-Hit .186 with 28 K's in 86 AB's. which is 32%. Played sparingly in the field. Looked lost at bat the last half of the season. Always wanted to be a Gator.
    #22-Came in as the 2AA Player of the Year, with good numbers. Can't say she had a bad year, but we are so accustomed to freshmen coming in and performing at a high level, we have set the bar very high. Ended up 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA. Had some really good outings, but did not live up to her hype.
    #99-Hit .182 with only 2 HR's. Is not a 1B player. I don't know what her natural position is, but that's not it. Came last year and hit the W/O against Texas A&M in the Supers, and great things were expected, but like #9 and #15 became a strike out queen. Will thank her also, for the W/O against USCe in the SEC Tourney.
    I Am Trying to Understand
    Please know that is not an attack or denigration of any person, their personality, or worth as a person. I'm trying to look at it as an objective softball fan and nothing else.
    #23-1st Team 9A Florida All-State. Well hyped pitcher. Never really hit her stride in her Freshman year. Had a 2-0 record in 20.2 innings.
    As an aside, I met her and her mother last year on her recruiting visit. I noticed that she had large fake fingernails, and this left me wondering if this was her. I approached them, and they were very nice, and asked them about the fingernails. She said it helped her to grip the ball better and put spin on it. I talked with her and Kelly at a Gator baseball game, and she did not have the nails. I asked her if UF had asked her to remove them, but she said it was her decision. Wonder if that affected her pitching this year. BTW, Kelly had on a boot that night because of shin splints. She was not healthy most of her senior season.
    Makes You Wonder
    #6-Came in as the leading HR hitter at her high school. Got 3 at bats her freshman year, and has no statistics in her sophomore year.
    #56-Is an upcoming senior and has really shown not much at all. Was this a "have too for a local" for CTM? She did show some change of pace a few times, but that is few and far between.
    Wait and See
    #46-Early enrollee who did not play this year. Will be a Freshman in the fall.
    #81-Ran well as a PH, but we will have to wait until next year.
    In the Transfer Portal
    #12-Did not appear in a game her freshman year.
    #26-Was 1-3 this year and appeared as an outfielder a few times. Used mostly as a pinch runner where she did well.
    Feel free to pontificate, but please, do not bash our ladies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    One of the best posts ever. Great insight.

I hope you don't mind -- I'm forwarding this post to ESPN for you to take Beth Mowins' job.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I've always been curious about #9.

Came in as a freshman and initially crushed it and was an everyday starter. Then came the Georgia game in April and she hit .076 after that -- four hits in 52 at bats. Got herself benched. Basically, the wheels came off. Why?

By her sophomore year, she was mostly on the bench, starting only 29 games compared to the 56 games she started her freshman year. Near the end of the season, CTW seemed to bring her in situations where she could do well, and she seemed to respond. At the time I remember thinking that CTW was doing a reclamation project, rebuilding her confidence, which seemed to be working. She ended the season with a decent BA.

This last year, back up to 57 starts. She definitely has some power but seems to almost swing randomly. When she connects, its great, but lots of SO. I think she's shown some moxie playing in the outfield, since she was 3B in HS and started her college career at 3B. We needed her bat and she stepped up by learning to be a decent outfielder.

As a glass-half-full kind of fan, I'm hoping that she's going to master SEC pitching and turn the corner into a reliable hitter next year. Obviously 3B is already taken, but she's show a decent ability in the outfield so I have few worries about her fielding for the most part.

4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm sorry, but these are human beings. Referring to them as numbers, whatever the purported rationale, is weird and creepy and dehumanizing. What's the point of saying something critical about #Whatever instead of just saying "Jane Doe," especially since that doesn't actually protect anyone - it just adds another step to the process?

If you want to make some point about Dani Farley's fake fingernails, just make it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Danni Farley's fake fingernails are gross. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Moving forward, any idea how large will be the incoming class and among those how many will be inbound from the transfer portal?

We could use a front line pitcher, a table setter and a slugger, all of which are lacking post Lorenz and Barnhill

7. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Incoming signing class is 7. 1 transfer (Charla Echols - Michigan State) thus far via the portal.

Gators Welcome Seven to Program on Signing Day - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    It's an argument!

9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not an impressive lineup IMO.

10. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Excellent analysis

11. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Are you referring to scrappygator's post or candymanfromgc's post? :)

Kinda harsh. I think the OP was trying to separate out the personalities and make it an unbiased analysis just based on the statistics (sort of like Moneyball). At first I thought it unusual, but then I understood. You follow these young women for years and really start to get invested in their ups and downs, so I think the OP's point was to remove that from the analysis. Who didn't get choked up when KB went in for the last strike? You really start to feel for these young athletes who give their all for the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Problem with Barnhill was not shin splints. She has been battling a stress fracture in her leg the past 2 seasons.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    MTSS

14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

This transfer could be a bat that helps out

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. alysb21

alysb21 Freshman

Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Echols went 4 for 5 and Cottrill a grand slam and 5 rbi. In a game today Echols scored tying run and Cottrill hit the game winning walk off single. Sounds like help is on its way!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. LTG61

LTG61 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    Totally disagree. It wasn't an analysis at all - unless the OP considers the phrases "played, but didn't develop as expected," I am trying to understand," and "makes you wonder" as quality analysis.

Good lord, Scrappy, they went to the World Series AGAIN this year. I think you owe them a very public apology. That "analysis" was totally uncalled for.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I hear Haven and Cordova are looking to transfer.

19. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Yep, they both entered the portal about 10 days ago.

Yesterday, FSU's #2 pitcher, Makinzy Herzog, entered the portal. She had 14 starts behind Meghan King. FSU was grooming her to take over as the #1 pitcher since this was King's senior year. Major blow to FSU. She played in the outfield when not pitching and had a good bat -- in the low .300's I believe with some key home runs.

There must be a back story to this because its not the "I didn't get enough playing time" or "I'm better than the team I am on" reason that many enter the portal. Oregon has plenty of scholarship space so that could be a landing spot for Herzog. But if she's looking to send a message to FSU, then UF would seem to be the place for her! Plus, she'd get a much better education! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Didnt fsu just pick up a transfer pitcher from UT? That could be an issue.