Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

An Argument Four 3rd and Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Dec 8, 2019.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    The Zebra's had a bit of a part to play there....

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    So your argument is to tell me that if we played like other defenses played we could have beaten them? I'm not seeing a W next to any of those other defenses that held them to lower YPP so while holding them LSU still won the game and by a large margin other than Auburn. I am hardly a Grantham supporter, and I 100% agree with your stance on him, but I still don't think we beat them even if we hold them to a lower YPP. We still had some pretty questionable calls on offense (3rd and 1 PA pass under center that led to an interception, having Perine throw a pass on 2nd and goal vs EJ) that didn't work out in our favor. We gave them a hell of a game, but it never felt like we controlled the game because their offense was so strong. Even with our rushers healthy, our secondary isn't good enough to cover their 3 WR's. Dean was still at star and CJ just didn't have a strong enough year against any top WR. We lost because LSU caught lightning in a bottle and has the perfect storm of weapons. I really hope their offensive coordinator gets a head coaching gig elsewhere because that offense with those 3 WR's returning is going to be hard to stop. Your stats while depressing can be misleading....we were in that game until the very end and they beat us on nearly every play. The other teams they were up big and likely took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter lowering their YPP. Against us they just kept their foot on our throats and beat our ass.

Again 1000000% agree with your stance on Grantham, he's just not very good against elite teams....but our talent has really taken a hit at nearly every position on defense in the last few years.

3. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    Our offense limited their possessions to about 8-9 over the game and they scored on 6 of them. Compare this to the fact that the dawgs allowed them to score on ~50% of their possessions. With how our O played that game, if Grantham's D had reduced their scoring rate from a 80% clip to ~ 65-70% the game would have been manageable and Mullen would have pulled it off. Auburn did almost that except their O was incapable of scoring points. Uga was banged up and inept on O as well. The point is, it is not unreasonable to expect a more efficient D even with the perceived talent disparity.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

Defense won our game against Auburn too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    That being said, the zebras gave LSU CBs ALOT of lee way on their bump and run coverage in both our game and the Georgia game. They helped them get away with many holds and a couple of obvious PIs. That being said, since the refs were letting them get away with so much, I thought it was a no brainer we should pay them back the favor. We did not. And the rest is history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Just a bad matchup against every weakness we have (d line with Zuniga and Greenard out), LB's, CB's, Safeties are solid B players) on defense. Beating them in BR at night was never going to happen with our defense and D coordinator played 10 yards off every WR. Georgia played press coverage with their 5 star CBs and LSU still scored 37 points.

7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Amazing. . . . DUDE - we were missing both our defensive ends against LSU. The best QB in the entire country had all day to pick apart a good but not great secondary.

"We could have easily beaten LSU if we played slightly better defensively"? SMH at this ignorance

8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We had arguably the worst defensive game in the history of UF

If we held LSU to their average production, which we still should be able to do with two DEs out, then yes we could have won.

I’m sorry but missing your two DEs is not an excuse to have the worst defensive game in school history

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    Agreed. The question is would LSU have scored 37 points against Uga's press coverage if their O was able to stay on the field for ~40 minutes like the gators did?

10. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    If you combined UGAs D (or Auburn’s, or Bamas, or even Texas) with our O then that team would have won.

11. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    lmao Hyperbole much?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

"The worst defensive game in school history". . . . bwaahaahaaahaahaaahaa! How old are you?

I know all I need to know about you. You're whining about a game you clearly don't understand - not wasting any more time

13. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    It isn't. Find a game where we gave up more YPP.

14. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Find the games where we gave up more YPP. Find a game where we the opponents TD/Drive was higher. Any overlap? Going through our historical meltdowns the answer seems to be none.

I'll give you a history lesson.

The 1996 Fiesta Bowl

Nebraska had 7.57 YPP and scored a TD on 54% of meaningful drives.

That is pretty bad right?

2019 LSU Game

LSU had 10.65 YPP and scored a TD on 67% of meaningful drives.

If you are going to run your mouth you better have the goods to back it up.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You are not qualified to give me a history lesson. I’d freaking bury you

You’re citing statistics out of context. Barely relevant. Any kid with a keyboard can google up statistics to spin their argument. Not impressed. How old were you when Nebraska put 62 on us in 96?

16. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018

I like this guy, lol.

17. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I just wanted to say that we did NOT have three threads that criticized Grantham.

I started the eventually named as a a joke "Third and Grantham" thread and I am an all in, die hard Grantham fan and I agree with your premise and was even longer about it in my discussions in the original two threads by Tilly but my thread (the third one) was to defend him and his abilities. He is a mad man and a great coach to have as DC and we are lucky to have him and while there may have been some people that don't agree with me in the thread the initial post was not critical, at least not negatively.

Sorry, but had to clear that up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    I don't want to do the research but if this is the most YPP then yes it is clearly not a good thing and an indictment on how bad our defense was against elite teams. I wonder what the YPP against UGA was? To me the O coordinator for Georgia wasn't very good but still found a way to beat Grantham with average WR's against "DBU" give me a break, unacceptable. The LSU team was a completely different monster where they had the talent AND the coaching edge from an O coordinator vs. D coordinator standpoint. That's why you get the 10 YPP and Burrow and all 3 WR's will be in the NFL.

The worst game in UF history had to of been Georgia Southern. I don't give a crap if they averaged 3 YPP, we lost AT HOME to a DIV II school. I am only 31 years old but I doubt anyone can claim anything different. That loss still haunts this team, I constantly get the GIF of our own offensive lineman blocking each other. Jesus Christ my blood pressure goes up just thinking about it.

19. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    THIS!!!! If we have our two studs getting to Burrow and Fromm, they are both more of a chance to win the game. Give me some pressure D baby, all game long, against good opponents and I could live with the results win or lose. However, I think it would be more wins than losses.... The late Al Davis, "Get to the Quarterback!"...… Love that philosophy.

GO GATORS!!!! ALL CHOMP!!!!

20. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Who gives a rat's *** about YPP? That is just a number you are quoting because it fits your narrative and ridiculous claim. The only numbers that matter are the scoreboard and there have been many many worse games defensively than that game.

Now you can claim why you are right and teach us a history lesson again. :rolleyes: