Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

An Argument Four 3rd and Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Dec 8, 2019.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Maybe as solid a post I’ve ingested! Well done!

2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’m sure u realize the LSU secondary is filled with 1st round talent in which their skill set allows them to do anything they want.

3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    LSU best our D worse than any other team they played. If we held them to their average production we probably win

UGA wasn’t as extreme but the same premise holds. If their O had an average game (compared to their other games) we win going away

4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Grantham is showing some promising signs of growth. What we'll never know is was he playing a soft zone to try and confuse the QBs (didn't work) or was he playing soft zones because he didn't trust our personnel play tight physical man (in which case he should have pulled Dean earlier, and relied less on Taylor/Stiner).

I've gone back and forth on the fire Grantham train. I guess where I settle is he's a good DC, not a great one. I would only want Mullen to part ways if there is a sure thing superstar DC lined up. That probably means keeping him around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but it is fair to note that Georgias top two WR's (one of which was a freshman) were sidelined for this game. I think the freshman got suspended the 1st half too. I think it was just LSU lining up and saying letting Fromm beat them. Swift was hurt as well so UGA really had no shot at this. But OF COURSE Cager comes back and plays lights out against us. Otherwise I think we win that game.

I agree with the OP that we wouldn't have beaten LSU playing man coverage, although it would have been nice to have both our starting DE's rush him. I think the RBs hurt us more that game than anything else. Our run defense was abysmal that game.

6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Using your logic, we were also buying players under urban and magically stopped after he left. You aren’t one of those, “everyone cheats except UF guys” are you?

7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Very true. And, I would be even more specific that the DEs won the game. It seemed like the defensive backs did their best to give the win to Miami in the end with all the coverage penalties, but, Miami refused to take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    And we don’t have talent? Those same guys covered well last year when not injured, but are crap now? Bull.

We had a nickel who couldn’t cover well playing nickel for almost the entire year. It took 3 games left in the season to make a change. That is coaching.

9. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    In response to that, why do our players drive scooters, while other school’s players drive chargers and raptors? Why do our players resort to credit card fraud? Have our players been caught selling merchandise or trading autographs for tattoos? Flashing cash on Instagram or Twitter? Tebow was a generational player who apparently didn’t give a rats a$$ about money. Not every 5 star recruit is like Tebow.

Like I said, Florida will occasionally get players like Tebow, but the players who are mercenaries, for lack of a better word, will go for the best deal. If you can get a charismatic player like Tebow, that player can attract other players without money being involved. But absent that, you have players like Tunsil, Treadwell, and those other players that went to Ole Miss even though they hadn’t been on the map for a while. And why Cam went to Auburn. Possibly why Chase Young went to OSU, etc.

If UF cheats, we really suck at it. But the NCAA has gotten more lax at enforcing the rules, which makes it easier to cheat if you are so inclined. Ole Miss only got hammered because Tunsil admitted it in a text, instead of keeping quiet. Chase Young only missed 2 cupcakes after admitting to taking a “loan” from a friend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Take your own advice. Reading comprehension is essential in an online forum.

USC vacated a championship due to Bush taking money from an agent. Four years later, Auburn essentially buys Newton and wins a championship. The only reason Ole Miss got hammered was Tunsil admitted in texts to receiving money. Absent the NCAA getting proof on a silver platter, it is open season to cheat now. North Carolina essentially admitted to making up classes to keep athletes eligible and got away with it.

Do you think college football was like it is now ten years ago? The Alabama model has expanded to UGA, and the amount of money involved in college football is even greater. There is even more incentive to cheat now, with an NCAA that has less incentive to enforce the rules.

11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some of you sound like you're fourteen years old. We just won ten games and will play in one of the six bowls and you're bitching. Mullen and his staff are coaching the same players that won only four games before Mullen got here.UGA gets lots of five stars but Mullen coaches players up and makes good game time decisions every game. Get off the bus and stop complaining...please.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... one game does not make a season. But calling 10 out of 12 games perfectly is very good indeed.

13. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    That just isn't true. We could have easily beaten LSU if we played slightly better defensively. Would we have? Who knows.

But the point is people are totally underestimating HOW BADLY we played on defense vs LSU. It can easily be argued it was the worst game in the history of modern UF football.

Take a look at this:

LSU offense performance against top 10 teams (YPP):

Florida: 10.65
    Texas: 8.42
    Auburn: 5.77 (yes Florida allowed nearly 2x yards per play than Auburn)
    Bama: 7.07
    UGA: 6.5

Average: 7.37 (or 6.94 if you exclude UF)

LSU offense performance against other SEC teams:

TAMU: 7.37
    ARK: 12.75
    Vandy: 8.09
    MSU: 6.88
    Ole Miss: 8.81

All P5 game average: 8.23

If we held LSU to what their average was vs other opponents we would have had a real chance at winning. If we held them to what other top 10 teams did? We probably win

At this point Grantham is in the Jon Cooper/Jim Harbaugh zone of it doesn't matter what you do in other games, all that matters is what you do in a certain game zone. For Grantham, he needs to hold high powered offenses with good QBs near the season averages (at minimum). What he does against garbage teams or garbage QBs is 100% irrelevant. Just like it doesn't matter what Harbaugh does, what matters does he beat OSU? That is where Grantham is at.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bingo... tow things that can easily be corrected. The other is rushing only three defenders in any game for any reason OTHER THAN TO prevent a last second Hail Mary.

15. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I was with ya on some of your points until you went to this one. I think I see now where I disagree.

It would not have made much difference in that game if we had an excellent defense. We would have still got steamrolled by the roided up Nebraska team. You are not giving enough credit to the other team. You seem to think there is a play call or scheme that can be used to beat a better team and if the DC can't call it, he is no good. Just not true, even if your athletes equal theirs. Sometimes coaches are out schemed, but sometimes, they are just better than you and no scheme means anything.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    We know the stats, but where were our 3 best defensive players? Did Grantham call the same game he normally does in the LSU shootout?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    @Gatorrick22 Please explain the "come on man" rating. Am I missing something?

18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I hope you are right. BUT, Any history of him doing this in the past?

19. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    He called a totally different game, which is my main gripe.

Even if our entire starting defense was out, we still shouldn't give up north of 10 YPP. It takes schematic failure to do that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    It wasn't really an issue of 3rd and Grantham in this case. 1-4th and Grantham, I guess.