Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

An Argument Four 3rd and Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Dec 8, 2019.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    So, in honor of the 3 previous threads criticizing our DC for not playing man coverage in our two losses, can we have a discussion on how those 2 teams played each other?
    In hindsight, I don't think there's much we could have done to slow LSU down. I think that was simply first team to 40 wins. Anyone see how the Dawgs played LSU's receivers? Did they go man or zone?
    Now, I DO think we could have beaten Georgia with a different defensive strategy. While I only watched a few minutes of the SECCG, it looked like LSU was giving Fromm fits with man to man coverage. One announcer was even surprised that LSU was still playing press man with under a minute to go in the half!
    Hopefully someone who saw more than two minutes of the first half can explain what both defenses played and how they both fared. Could we have beaten either team with different tactics?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

In hindsight.....

This just has all the makings of just another Grantham thread that will degenerate into the same bashing that the previous three threads have done....

Grantham dialed iit up against the Nolies, and I expect him to do the same against Virginia.....

We have a great recruiting class coming in...and Mullen and Grantham are gonna show Kirby Dumb what a 3rd year progress means....

Within the next couple years, Mullen, Grantham, Savage, Hevesy and Co. are gonna be in that CFP picture...

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And that would be bad because...:D:devil:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Grantham needs to go back and re-watch those two games over and over again to learn from his own mistakes... That is all.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    LSU played bump and run, man to man most of the game. When they called off the dogs, so to speak, UGA was finally able to score a td. That freshman LSU corner made his first pick off bump and run coverage. Fromm saw the matchup and tried to exploit it, but couldn’t, as the receiver couldn’t separate, and the throw was behind.

I don’t remember a game this year where we started the game playing bump/tight man to man, but were always 8-10 yards off the ball, giving an ungodly amount of cushion. Sure you may give up a few more big plays, but it’s better than the death by a thousand cuts that happened during the two games that we lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. WhattaGator

Yep....
    Correct those easily correctable mistakes, and watch what happens!! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We were so close to winning all of our games, and yet we came close to losing more. I can't wait till we see how good we can become as a team with all of Mullen's recruits. Next year's team and schedule makes me drool with excitement.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    And if those “easily correctable” mistakes are similar to those he had at previous coaching stops, why think he will correct them now? Without those issues, it could/would have been us in the top four. And those same issues bit us in the butt 4-5 weeks apart from one another. So there was about 4 weeks to correct the issues, and they weren’t corrected. Again, so why think they will be corrected now? The good news is most SEC qbs next year won’t be as good. Burrows is gone, and maybe Fromm as well.

But soundly beating the teams you should beat isn’t that impressive to me. The problem is can he do the same to teams that have the same or greater talent level. So far this year, the answer is no. Auburn is the best win, but Nix is a freshman qb who was more a runner than a passer. Burrow was a passer, and lit us up. Fromm is who he is, but he still did enough to beat us for a third year.

So I am apprehensive about next year. The schedule is more favorable, but I still have questions about the performance of the defense against good passing qbs, which is who we would be facing in the playoffs. OSU and Fields, Laurence and Clemson, just to name the obvious two.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. WhattaGator

Soo.....

That leads to the obvious question....
    Would you be happy with a Gators team that, in Mullen's only 3rd year, was able to make it to the point where we would be facing Lawrence, Fields, etc.???

That would mean that we won the SECe, and the SECCG, and made it into the CFP???

10. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Do you think we will out-recruit OSU, Alabama, and Clemson, just to name the be$t? I think tho$e guys will always have a higher talent level, as the recruiting field isn’t level. We will get our talent, but I don’t think we will stockpile talent like they do, because we don’t play by the same rules.

My concern is Grantham feasts on the cupcakes, and chokes on the t-bones. So if he needs the same or superior talent to win, he isn’t the right guy for us. In 2006, Meyer won a championship with a converted WR starting in the secondary.

Maybe I am too pessimistic, but his performances against Burrows and Fromm make me doubt he is the right guy. He had three weeks including a bye week to make changes, and the same issues popped up in the UGA game from the LSU game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. WhattaGator

I think that Mullen will eventually get onto the same recruiting level as Clemson, OSU, etc... ( remember '06 and '08??... recruiting was pretty good back then)...his success so far hs been turning heads.,..
    Like I previously said...give him another couple years, and that playing field will be leveled.

Mullen has outperformed expectations so far, ans I see absolutely no reason to think thst's going to change..

Those other schools have already been stacked with high-end recruits and players...while Mullen has had to work with what he had inherited from MacSharkeeth, and that 4-7 progrm, and is still pretty much iin the infancy of building his program into the visiom he has for the futurre....

Like sa fine whisky or wine....good things take a little time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Depends on how we looked throughout the year.

If we Muschamped or McElweined ourselves into the playoffs, then no, I would feel like we lucked our way in. If our defense was average in big games, but our offense was like LSU’s offense this year, then I would feel hope no matter how the playoffs turned out. But if our defense played a few LSU type games, especially if one was in the playoffs, I would mostly be pissed that a great opportunity was wasted. Because I would look at it like Nebraska in 1995, that we could have won if we had a defense.

What if we only lost to UGA, and made it into the playoffs like Alabama did against LSU, only to get slaughtered again by UGA? Sure, we made the playoffs, but it would feel like hell, would it not? What if UGA beat us again with the defense having another brain fart game. Even if we made the playoffs, we still lost to UGA again.

13. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    I don’t think that the level of cheating that exists today was present back then, and there weren’t as many blind eyes. USC got hammered due to Bush back then. Now Chase Young gets paid cash from a “friend”, and barely gets two games. Alabama was just getting started, and scooters don’t compare with Dodge Chargers and Raptors. UGA imported Bama tactics, and started cleaning up the 5 star recruits. Clemson is in its own league there. I don’t see UF playing the same games as those other programs.

Florida will get talent, but I don’t think we play by the same rules, so we may miss on talent that would put us over the top. However, what the past few years have shown is a good qb can overcome a lot of talent issues.

14. WhattaGator

Umm.....
    Let me get this right....
    We got "slaughtered" by Georgia by a whole7 points?....riight..that was a total "beatdown" :rolleyes:

Come on, man...get your facts right before you say something like that....

Plus...you STILL fail to recognize the fact that Mullen is still in the process of building his team...

Relax....take a chill pill, and enjoy what the Gators are going to accdomplish iin just another couple of years..

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Hypothetically, I was answering your question about next year and making the playoffs. So it had nothing to do with this year’s result. You asked would I be happy making the playoffs. I was pointing out ways that we could make the playoffs and still not be happy with the result.

Losing to UGA in the playoffs would be doomsday, even though we made the playoffs. Having the defense lay an egg while the offense played lights out would also lessen the shine on making the playoffs. I would like to see a complete team next year, with no brain fart games defensively, which would almost ensure a playoff appearance.

I get that you are high on Grantham. I am not. I saw a coach who was slow to make personnel changes when it was clear the personnel playing weren’t getting it done. I also saw a coach who dominated the weak teams, and laid an egg against the two strongest teams we faced. We won’t sniff the playoffs until that changes. Everyone blames the players instead of the coaches, but it is the coaches who decide who plays. It seems this coaching staff, for better or worse, has a long leash for most starters and is slow to replace them when they struggle.

16. WhattaGator

And ....
    therein lies the quandry..........

As you were so eloquently stating... "we could maker the playoffs and you would still not be happy???

Come on, Man....

You fail to answer my question about your clain of us getting a "beatdown" by a whole 7 points to the Dawgs???

There's nothing more to discuss....
    It rreminds me of back in the 80's, when I worked by Wall St. in Manhattan....
    On my way to work one day, I saw a guy who was just standing by one of the great skyscrapers, and he was banging his head against the wall..
    Each tie he did it, it was "Bang, Ouch!...Bang, Ouch!, Bang, Ouch!!""
    I walked up to the guy, and asked him, "Why are you banging your head against a concrete wall?"...

To which he replied; "Bang, Ouch!...Because it feels so good when I stop!"....

And, with that...Ieave you to yor headbanging. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. WhattaGator

Now......
    This has got to be about the most ridiculous set of statements ever...
    You contradict yourself....
    You don't think that level of cheating exists anymore....and yet...
    And, to cap it off, you try to politicize it with a "Bush/USC" statement???

Step away from the white powder, it's affectihng your thinking process.

18. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    To be clear, you understand it was Reggie Bush, right? Why is that political?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    the announcers kept calling it bump and run, but it really wasn’t as it lacked the bump. It was just tight coverage starting at the LOS.

20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Miami was close , glad our DC had a plan and dialed up 10 sacks . Defense saved our ass that game .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1