Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ammunition Background Checks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by homer, Mar 15, 2019.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Do you have a link?

3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Thanks for reminding me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Why? Approx how many rounds do you have - combined?

5. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Enough

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Why would law-abiding Americans fear background checks?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    So let me get this straight. You have to pass a background check to get a job, but you don't have to to buy ammo? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I guess I know who to call in case of a zombie apocalypse...although I won’t bother you if it were to fight off our military though cuz your stock of .22 isn’t going to be effective against it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Good...someone who realizes that during the zombie apocalypse a .22 is the obvious choice in weapons. Especially when zombie heads appear to be made out of paper mâché. Now tell me when you run out ammo you'll use a spear or other long handled weapon instead of a knife, hammer, or crowbar and that you'll actually wear some form of bite proof protection on your arms and hands. Although I'm not sure where zombies with paper mâché heads and decomposing muscles get all that bite strength from.

I'm not saying there are a lot of really stupid people on The Walking Dead, I'm just saying there are a lot of stupid people on The Walking Dead. Honestly, who uses a knife to fight a zombie when you could make a pointed stick with it. Zombies have no clue how to defend themselves from a pointed stick, and it's not like the knife wouldn't be on your belt if something happened to your pointed stick. Then again if you were a character on The Walking Dead, after making the pointed stick you'd probably throw the knife away.

A lot of overweight people too. Not sure how that happens when there's a serious food shortage. Also when you throw someone really dangerous down an elevator shaft, push a table saw or something equally heavy down after him just for fun. And...well, never mind.

I should probably stop watching that show, but I suffer from a severe case of sunk cost fallacy.

As for this bill - Republican Senate + Republican President = I wouldn't go out and load up on ammo just yet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Just talking about it will increase ammo sales. Speaking of which, after my hunting trip tonight, I'll get some more...

• Like Like x 1
  11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Lol

12. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Tonight? What are you hunting? I think I may have just gotten set up....:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I had a buddy who used to say we may have a constitutional right to own weapons but nothing in the constitution says we have a right to own ammo. He was always in favor of a 50 dollar tax per bullet.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Why?

15. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What about a zombie military?

16. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I’m a target shooter.

I used to shoot pistol comp back when I was a rookie cop. It’s still a hobby for me. I Use 38 special reloads in a 357. I still have current police friends that give me their supply of department ammo if they don’t use it at the range. I give them empty casings back. Not nearly as much now since most have gone to 9mm.

Went to a 9mm from my 357 back in 91. The agency I was at got us our guns at cost. I bought my first 9mm for 165 bucks through them. And another later for slightly more. I’ve kept them and all the ammo.

I also have a ton of leftover ammo from when I used to reload and hunt. Since I stopped, it sits there in ammo boxes. I have no plans to use it, so I’ll pass it down to my son with the guns that shoot it.

I used to do garage sales in alachua, Columbia, Sumpter, and Putnam counties. Mostly country settings. I’ve bough a ton of ammo at them. One guy had three large metal boxes of 30 caliber ammo that I bought for (guessing) about 120 bucks. Was a long time ago and I still have it all. I have a stainless carbine with a folding stock that I carry as a “boat gun” when I go saltwater fishing. Don’t have to worry about it rusting.

I have purchased thousands of rounds of 22 long rifle for plinking. They are a cheap way to target shoot. You can buy boxes of 500 cheap.

I shoot on private property unless I go indoors to Shoot Straight.

I shoot with my old retired police and fire investigator pals, and a few close friends.

See, not everyone is a last days dude. I don’t have any apocalypse supplies like canned or dried food.

I don’t watch zombie movies because I think they are stupid. (Except for the Z one with Brad Pitt)

I have worked with the Fisher House in Gainesville and Wounded Warriors. I used to have VA federal security clearance. I’m still friends and active with current and reserve military.

So to answer City’s post,,, I don’t have any issues with zombies or worry about fighting our military. Our military wouldn’t attack citizens anyway. Lol at anyone who thinks otherwise.

Ammo background checks are the start. Then there will be limits to how much you can purchase, limits on how much you can possess, limits on how many and what type of gun you can own, what size clip you can buy and possess, Until all your second amendment rights are gone.

I have no doubt, it’s eventually going to happen. At 66, I won’t be around to see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    If that happened, I’d make a lot of money in the private market.

18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Interesting (except last 2 paragraphs - it won’t happen in our lifetime).

How accurate are you with a pistol?

19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I’m not what I used to be since my eyes have slightly gone and I have to wear glasse. When I was younger I shot master with a pistol. My buddy owned a gun shop. He taught me how to clean up my pistols. I would buff out all the moving parts inside, cut the trigger return spring to where I had about a 3 pound pull, and cut down the hammer spring to drop the double action pull. I’m ambidextrous so right and left hand shooting was a breeze. I would outshoot my buddies with my pistol vs their semiauto 9mms. We shot on a timed course that made it even more difficult for them. I was used to shooting on a timed course. I would reload with SKS speed loaders and still better their scores. My max distance was 25 yards.

Where I really excelled was on a running course where you would run timed, and shoot at different stations. By the end you were huffing and puffing, which drops your ability to hold steady. I have a unique pistols grip that gave me an advantage over the standard one taught at the academy’s. It stabilizes my pistol so I don’t pull right or left as much as with a regular grip, and eliminates some recoil.

Today I’m not nearly the marksman I used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    I don't really have a problem with a background check for purchasing ammo....but where does it stop after that? Because for some reason I don't think that will be enough for gun control activists.

I have questions like, will they be tracking the ammo I buy? The amount I buy? The frequency I buy ammo? Will I end up on some "watch list" if I buy certain types of ammo or if I buy too much ammo? Will there be some sort of added tax if I buy "too much" ammo?

This would all be very easy data to collect in today's age.

So I ask you does it stop at a background check only for ammo...the end?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1