Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

American Gods: Lord, what I've been missing

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jan 11, 2019.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I looked up American Gods at Wikipedia to see what this TV series is all about, since a new season starts in March.

I managed to read through most of the first 5 episodes, which is such incomprehensible crap it makes Twin Peaks as easy to understand as a children's storybook. But I had to stop when I got to this incident in Episode 6: "A group of Mexican illegal immigrants attempting to illegally cross the border into the U.S. pray to Jesus, who comes and attempts to protect them. He is shot dead while doing so."

That sounds more like something that Donald Trump would make up to promote his national emergency ("They've shot Jesus!") than something that TV scriptwriters would actually commit to paper. But now I don't have to worry about catching up in order to watch a second season. Catch up to what?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Was Jesus their brother, father, uncle, or cousin etc.

There are a lot Jesuses in Mexico.

3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I read the book recently. None of that is from the book. It was more based on an old Odin who had been weakened because gods draw their strength from people believing in them. The new gods were advertising icons. I think. It was written by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed the book but the Jesus story line wasnt in the book.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I don't remember the book exactly, but in general the idea was that Gods get their strength through belief, and as the world becomes more secular the older Gods are having a harder time of it and the newer Gods (things like money and fame) are hoping to put them out of business. The synopsis on Wikipedia does a better job of explaining it than I have, and most likely a better job than reading the tv episode synopsis, but it's spoilerrific.

Not an easy idea to turn into a TV show, but so far they've done a decent job with it. Putting in Jesus and border crossings is just an attempt to make it topical and controversial to attract more viewers.

5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    btw...if you like American Gods and haven't seen Preacher on AMC, it's worth a look. It's based on a graphic Novel I think. And if you were going to read a Neil Gaiman book, I'd start with Neverwhere.

6. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    That's a great premise, but they make a total mess of it The synopsis is a pain to read, and the episodes are a jumble of incidents that fail to reveal any relevance to the premise. I'll just watch some old classic movies on TCM. Very easy to follow and enjoy.

7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    The book had a bunch of elements that I typically like and Gaiman usually strings together sentences well but I kept waiting for the book to pull together but it never did for me.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Did you watch The Americans on FX? I haven't seen it, but it's on my list of shows to watch. It got great reviews and it's probably a lot less convoluted than American Gods. If you have Amazon Prime it's included with their free videos.

Fargo on FX is another good show. There are 3 seasons, but each is it's own story and not tied to the previous season. Not sure how to see that one though, unless FX is rerunning them or you want to pay for FX+ (I don't). There's going to be a season 4 premiering later this year, and since it doesn't tie in to previous seasons, you can watch it without missing anything.

9. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I only watch the shows available on Starz and Showtime. I'm not into that Netflix and Prime streaming stuff. The last thing I want to see on my computer is a movie. I know there are ways to connect to the TV but to hell with it.

I like Outlander, as outlandish as it is, and Ray Donovan, which is even more outlandish. They're well done enough to overlook all the plot holes and the mountains of coincidences. There are more coincidences in Outlander than on 9/11 or 11/22/63.

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Fargo will be on FX, which I think is basic cable most places.

I only get to see Showtime series when they come out on DVD, so I'm always behind on those. And if you're only exposure to Twin Peaks was the final season on Showtime, watch the first season if you can. It's weird, but reasonably weird - you can actually understand what's going on and it mostly makes sense. It's way better than the final season. They should have stopped right there with it.

11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Loved the book. My son and I are big Neil Gaiman fans. I'm quite a fan of his wife's music as well.

Brilliant song and music video by Amanda Palmer (Mrs. Neil Gaiman)