Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Amazing remedy for nasal congestion caused by colds or allergies.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by G. Gordon Gator, Jan 5, 2018.

1. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Okay, I'm not here to shill for this product and I do not own stock in the company or anything, but I'm the kind of person that when I discover something new (to me, at least) that really, REALLY works, I have to share it with everybody. Not so much due to a generous spirit; more like because I like being remembered by them as the hero who turned them on to something awesome. lol!

So, I'm driving home the other day, listening to sports talk radio as usual, and the announcer is complaining about how he has a really bad cold, and asking people to call in with their favorite remedies. I have a cold too, so I listened up.

The next guy that calls in says, "Have you heard of something called a neti pot?" And then proceeded to describe this product with such overwhelming enthusiasm that I looked it up on my phone while I was driving (sorry, FHP!) and then pulled right over to a Target store to get one.

Basically it is a little plastic teapot thing that comes with these little bags of pre-mixed powdered solution. You pour the solution in the pot with some water, then you tilt your head to the side and literally pour the water right into one of your nostrils. Lo and behold, the water then streams out your other nostril, totally irrigating your whole sinuses with anti-bacterial solution in the process.

I did not even know that if you poured water up one nostril, it would flow right out the other nostril. lol! I guess I never thought about it. But that's what happens. And it works, like you wouldn't believe!

I'm talking INSTANT relief. You do one nostril, then the other, and BAM, it feels like you never even had a cold! Totally clear, and without any side effects that you might get from medications.

Now mind you, the congestion will come back, in my case after about 7-8 hours or so. I guess it kills the localized bacteria in your nasal passages, but eventually the underlying virus or whatever it is regroups and comes back down. But then you just hit it again, and you're good.

I can't recommend this thing highly enough, but if you try it, here are a couple notes:

1. Follow the instructions carefully -- you CANNOT just use plain tap water in the pot. There is bacteria in tap water that won't bother you if you drink it but could cause an infection if exposed to the sensitive lining of your nasal passages. You have to use distilled water, which you can also buy at your local Target along with this product, or you have to boil some water to remove all the impurities. And naturally you have to let the boiked water cool before pouring it up your nose. lol.

2. When you pour it in, it's best if you strip down and do it in the shower, because it's kind of a messy proposition. The instructions say you can stand over the sink and do it, but water was sort of going all over the place when I did it.

You tilt your head to the side, put the nozzle of the teapot in one nostril, and pour. The water will slowly, gently stream (not pour) out your other nostril. You do half the pot in one nostril, then switch and do the other.

AND, be sure to breath through your open mouth when you're doing this. The first time I did it I didn't realize I needed to open my mouth, and basically ended up waterboarding myself. Frightening! In two seconds I was ready to give up the locations of our troops! lmao

So now, if a Moderator says its okay, I will go ahead and post the brand name of the product and a link to it on Target.com, where you can read reviews and everything. But for now I'll just say to Google "neti pot," and then look at the one they sell at Target. I can't vouch for the other brands of them, but there are more than one. Bye bye, sniffles!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    damn will have to try that one

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2010
    From the title I assumed it was a neti pot. Glad it works for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    My ex swore by the neti pot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I learned how to reset my allergies. All you have to do is spend a couple months in a coma. When you regain consciousness its like starting over. All my allergies went away. I also lost 50 pounds. So there is that too.

I have often thought that people should be placed into comas for withdrawal too.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Welcome to the 2nd century! ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Go under anesthesia last spring seemed to rid me of mine. I skipped the coma, part. :D

9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I did have some surgery when they put old humpty back together again. I guess it could have been the anaethesia.

10. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Good to get this out to as many people as possible but I've been doing neti pot for about 7 years if not more.

The squeeze. Bottle works even better and i think is easier for people to use.

Or if you are in healthcare you just take a bag of saline and use a syringe. All the same. It's really more for a maintenance procedure to keep allergens out but can provide temporary relief when congested. You should try and do it every morning if you can.

Disclaimer! If you dont make sure you get all the water out dont be surprised to have a steady stream flow out of your nose at inopportune times like while doing pushups at the gym or you know.... doing some missionary work later on. Yikes!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ha! I was talking to our Director of HR yesterday morning and she was proselytizing the yeti pot too. She said when it’s bad she’ll use it when she gets home from work, right before bed, and when she wakes up. Claims it helps clear colds quicker too. Her husband also swears by it now.

I decided to get one for my wife and I, especially since they’re so cheap, but forgot when I was at the store yesterday. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Funny line! Yes, I now have read about how this is an ancient remedy. I'd never heard of it, though. In fact when the guy on the radio said, "Have you ever heard of a neti pot," at first I thought he was saying nutty pot. So rather than a teapot I was picturing a different sort of teabagging device. I thought well this is going to be an interesting cold remedy. :eek::confused:

Without objection from the Mods here is the link to the particular one I got from Target. Comes with 50 of the solution packets. In addition to providing temporary relief from the congestion symptoms I'm convinced it shortened the overall duration of my cold, too.

13. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2014
    Alligator Underground
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    lol! Nice, even flow! Mine tends to be more erratic. I need to work on my tilting technique I guess.

15. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Squeeze bottle. Try it. Way better

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Word. I use the bottles of saline spray all winter long. Bust out the neti if I feel something coming on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Unless you are a democrat in which case it flows out your ear.
    Excuse me if I doomed this thread to too hot.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. ratatatat

ratatatat GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    a comet heading for Earth
    They've been pushing that "Navage" contraption that does the same thing as the neti pot, but is supposedly far less messy.

You stick the the whole thing in both nostrils, and it does the rest.

19. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    I have one but haven't used it in several years. It does work. Your thread reminded me to look for it and have it ready when I may next need it again. Thanks, Liddy.
    Jeff Bezos has a better deal on the same pot. ;) 2 day free shipping for Prime members and it has double the saline packets.

https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Natu...UTF8&qid=1515296606&sr=1-17&keywords=neti+pot

• Like Like x 1
  20. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    • Like Like x 1