Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Am thinking the mask wearing thing is wearing very thin on people...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Feb 21, 2021.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I only double mask when I read too hot

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't see it quite this way. Some of the comments in the OP are arguably extreme, not to mention unsupported by fact. Suggesting that people "aren't allowed to enjoy the falling numbers" or that the "the incredible drop in cases is somewhat of an embarrassing shock to the Fauci world and they are working way too hard to remain relevant" just might getcha some push back.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean yeah...there is that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Hand shaking is a weird social construct. I read that it was started to let some new aquaontamce know you weren't armed. It can go away as far as I care.

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I found this comment relevant to the thread...

Dr. Fauci Starts Controversy With New Masks Comment

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No one should invest an ounce of credibility into any public statement by the Heartland Institute. It should arrive clothed in a presumption of deceit

8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's always healthy to take a skeptical view with someone's take. That's one of the reasons I like to see a counterpoint to Fauci's take. But do you see anything truly deceitful in the quoted comment? What do you think the underlying motivation might be?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chad Savage is affiliated with the Heartland Institute, has no background in epidemiology or public health, and hsoudl never be labelled as an "expert" in this debate. And his "disagreement" with Dr. Fauci was not substantive - he said that being asked to wear more masks or wear them longer would cause them to refuse the vaccine. No evidence of that to date. Though we will plainly run into vaccine resistance eventually, we have not to date, to the surprise of officials, and it is doubtful that resisters will be swayed by the latest Fauci opinon.

Marty Makary is a different matter - that is a substantive and interesting "disagreement" on when we will reach herd immunity. Both opinions are based on highly imperfect data - extrapolations to estimate the % of population with antibodies based on unreported infections that never moved past being asymptomatic. It's an excellent debate but not necessarily relevant to mask guidance, which if you read Fauci more, is based on considerations of world immunity and reintroduction of inevitable mutations, etc. that develop elsewhere One can disagree on public behavior grounds, although I believe that mask wearing is not too great a price to pay for the additional caution, as opposed to shutting down events, which Fauci is not advocating after sufficient US vaccination.

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is funny, and related if you have been following today's developments on the debate

11. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

Mask hatred/fatigue has never made any sense to me.

I do it to protect people I work with, the people who I love, and the people who live in my community.

If wearing a mask for 10 minutes in a shop ever becomes too much for me in the midst of a pandemic, I'd describe myself in terms unsuited to a civil message board. I mean, really...

Besides, mine was sent from Bill Gates DIRECTLY and it only needs recharging periodically. Works like a dream but does make funny buzzing sounds while I'm thinking...

• Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So three people gave me a “come on man”, because they want to shake hands with men who didn’t wash their hands after wiping feces off their butts and handling their unwashed genitals while urinating?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2021-2-23_13-9-58.png

The NY Times tracks states with mandatory masks, those where masks are sometimes required & those w/ no statewide restrictions Over the past three months, there is no zero difference between mandatory states & those w/no restrictions & “sometimes” has done by far the worst.

I’d love to know how this is possible if masks are as important and effective as our leading experts have claimed they are. I mean, we all know the answer, but I’d just love it if someone actually asked the question to one of these incompetent politicians at some point.

See Coronavirus Restrictions and Mask Mandates for All 50 States

14. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida

That makes me wonder. Do we know what % of those being vaccinated already had COVID? The older people most likely aren't in that group

I hope he is right, but he is a professor of surgery, not exactly an epidemiologist. With that said, I am optimistic that it's only going to get better from here and herd immunity is a few short months away

15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    We are 12 months into this pandemic. There are already strains out there that reduce 95% vaccine effectiveness to 60%. 60% is still substantial protection, but how long until the next strain that is 40%, 30% etc? They will tweak the vaccine but there will be a lag. The point is between that and a substantial percent who don't get vaccinated mask wearing into 2022 isn't inconceivable. Now whether we should and whether we will wear masks could be 2 different things.

16. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you pull these stats out of your ass?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They didn't say what year

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Is that graph from the link?

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame