Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Am thinking the mask wearing thing is wearing very thin on people...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Feb 21, 2021.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I cannot express my thanks to you for making this point. The position I was in was as low as one can be and for all those that helped I want you to know that I have not only been able to take care of my wife and son and daughter (still stuck in the Maldives due to Trumps shutting down of the embassies) but also others in the Maldives. At the time, all resorts closed and our guesthouse had no guests because of the border closings. We had barely 100.00 on us because all reservations had been cancelled. If anyone can imagine what it is like to leave your family in order to take a chance on finding work back home then please let me know how you feel! My family is my world and for the last year we have done video chats twice a day and that has consisted of passing along information and given confidence to my kids that everything will be alright! My son, on Valentines Day, he is 8 years old, said "Dad, I miss you so much and miss you more than God!"...when someone on here calls me out then it hurts badly because I don't think they know what I have gone through for the past year. My family is my world and I am fighting against what Trump did to appease his "base", I am fighting against a Covid world, I am working to simply get my wife a replacement resident visa card and to hope that customs will let them enter the USA. I am VERY thankful to all that helped and in all my years have never seen such an outpouring of support..never! It is never to be forgotten! But I am who I am and I voice my opinion the same and expect feedback when it doesn't match others.

For the record. Day one of getting to the USA, March 29th I began a job search. One cannot imagine how few jobs were available. I was not given any stimulus money. Was not eligible for unemployment. What I did was apply around the country for Chief Engineer or Director of Engineering jobs anywhere. I applied for temp jobs for CE support at hotels which I might add were not happening until 2 months ago and now I get calls weekly for assistance. I took on a high rise job with a major company in a location that I would not have ever considered but it has been a financial plus and I give 11 to 12 hours a day to make it real. Without your assistance then I would have been completely broke and no way to support my family. My paycheck allows me to send 500.00 every 2 weeks to my wife which allows her to feed, give clothing and school supplies to our kids but it gets better..we also pay for the utilities of the people she stays with and take care of an elderly woman that lives there and her family members. You see, the Maldives has issues of unemployment because they are tourism dependent and most of the people living in Addu Maldives have family members that work on resort islands and send their paychecks home to pay for their families. Reduced tourism means less employment. We have managed to help out and this would not have happened without all of your support.

Get this...all my wife needs is a replacement resident visa card, that USCIS lost, and my family would be on a plane to come home. So for those that want to beat me down then know this..I am on a daily fight with our government to simply provide a simple replacement card. Nothing more than that. The US Embassy Colombo is restricted from doing any interviews or visa issues because Trump chose to do an EO extension banning entry of anyone. You wonder why I hate the blind and ignorant Trump cult? It's because they cannot process anything and my wife an kids, of which they lived in the US before, cannot come home until a very simple ID card is replaced.

So, I say again. Thank you. I am so freaking humbled by what happened last March that there are no words that could exonerate my point of need. Thank you to all! Thank you! You have made life better for many in a time of need beyond me. However, until my family comes home and we can enjoy the life many of you are taking for granted then I struggle day to day, my wife struggles day to day and my son and daughter grow more doubtful that they will see their Daddy again. I am actually getting tears writing this and I beg those of you that donated, if you want your money returned then I will do my best to return it, but my number one goal is to see my family again and one year is more than many of you would find acceptable. I miss them, they miss me. I won't ask anyone to walk in my shoes but please understand our moment. Long story and yet it doesn't cover it all..please let me at least be able to voice my opinions as it really is all I have here in the USA until my family arrives. Work and saving every dollar to pay for the US government (try working with them and you will know how they take your money) and to pay for my family to come back home. It isn't cheap! Mutz...never will i forget you! Ever! Respect to all! I am not a beggar and if anyone needs their money returned then I will do the best I can after my family gets back to the USA. I promise that.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    For you I will end my posts. Thanks for your interest.

3. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    You are a sad person. Very sad. This is your input to conversation? Your lack of reading comprehension is abhorrent because if you had actually read what I wrote then your opinion would be much different. This country seriously needs to rework the education level as far too many people, like you, cannot comprehend a full statement and only assume. I see how we got to 2020 when very few have the time to actually read beyond a few lines. Yes, I know that is all you did. I have no respect for your comments and nor should anyone. You want to be blocked then consider it done but realistically your are extreme in your post.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I can't win. I hate masks and I think Fauci is full of shit and a control freak who is incapable of leaving a microphone without imparting some sort of Pavlovian command to the masses.

And yet, I go into a store with a huge sign at the front door saying "MASKS REQUIRED," and I'm the only one in the whole place wearing one at all or at least properly. The police aren't enforcing it in Florida, so if you want to invite armed combat with Florida Man, go ahead and confront somebody about it. It looks like idiocracy, like people really don't understand that there's no point in wearing one unless it's covering your nose and your mouth. Either take the signs down or obey them. Either wear a mask right or don't wear one at all.

Everybody pisses me off. It's such theater.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Maybe it's less that Dr. Fauci is a control freak and more that America is full of stupid people who are either unable or unwilling to follow basic instructions and make even the smallest sacrifice for the good of the country. But yes, I'm sure one of the nation's leading experts on infectious diseases is just "full of shit."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I follow the rules in Maryland and have no issue if that were the norm

7. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wore a sweater to my office because it was cold. No sacrifice, no emasculation. I wear a mask at stores church and in court. If you can wear clothes around people you can wear a mask. These antimaskers would have been pitiful in world war ll. Patriotism means nothing. Whining and Self indulgence is the order of the day

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, at the moment there has been a recent drop in new cases. That's a great thing that everyone can be happy about. However, there is a new much more virulent strain popping up now..the UK strain. Why on earth would anyone advocate backing off now with the established protocols (masks, social distancing, etc.) when having a bit of patience and empathetic regard for your neighbors/fellow citizens (especially those very vulnerable) might avert another "wave". For the life of me, americans can be so self indulged, narcisistic and ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think everyone is suffering from Covid fatigue, to a certain degree anyways. None-the-less everyone still needs stay diligent to protect the vulnerable in our society. Not only will you be protecting yourself and your loved ones, but it is just plain the humane thing to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    I agree, but I agree a little less each day, so every time Lord Fauci assumes for himself the power to kick the can down the road, it's really annoying.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Don't worry, he'll change his story 15 more times in the next couple of weeks. Guy's unbelievable.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My guess is that far fewer Americans would have died from Covid-19 if the recommendations of "Lord Fauci" were followed rather than the edicts of "Donald the Dumb". You know, the insult comic who said that Covid-19 would disappear, ridiculed the wearing of masks and referred to the concern over the virus expressed by Democrats as a hoax.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Haven't read the thread but I've found myself doing the opposite. I couldn't wait to rip the makes off as soon as I got outdoors when this first started. Now I find myself so used to it I've gotten in my car with it on a few times just because I don't notice it anymore. Still such a simple thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Picked up a bottle at the liquor store the other day and was five minutes into my drive home when I realized I was still wearing a mask. I don't like wearing them, but it isn't the end of the world when I have to wear one.

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yep - I've actually gone to double masking since I'm back at work now. Too many kids rolling through the halls not following simple protocols and apparently the second layer is added protection for the wearer. Fortunately, I don't have to wear them all day. Once I'm in my office, I remove them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with a lot of your sentiment here. I too am tired of the lack of pragmatism in the messaging. There is rarely balance coming from Fauci. Maybe that's not his job, but then the MSM may need to balance his message with more pragmatism. Fauci reminds me of the medication disclaimers you get listing all of the possible side effects. Accurate info, but you have to balance the message on the receiving end. Myself, I will continue wear the mask and socially distance, but after I receive my vaccine and we are 2-3 months into mass availability this guy is chucking those freaking masks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  17. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    That will be nice.

18. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    I do hate the masks, but I've really warmed to the social distancing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Me too. :D

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

You are making reasoned observations and asking a reasonable question.

How dare you! The mask nuts will demand you wear a mask until they are told not to wear a mask(or until they feel safe, may never happen) , there is no middle ground, there is no room to have intelligent discussion. In fact you need to wear two masks even if you have been vaccinated and never leave your house, wear them at home also.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1