Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Am thinking the mask wearing thing is wearing very thin on people...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Feb 21, 2021.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Seems that many people are kind of fed up with the mask wearing thing and to be honest I am. Then along comes Fauci proclaiming that we may be wearing masks into 2022! Guess we aren't allowed to enjoy the falling numbers nor the facts that states like Florida that are very relaxed on the mask wearing aren't showing any greater rates than states with mask mandates. Maybe it's time for some good news from the "experts" rather than keeping everyone playing one step forward two steps back thinking.

I haven't done a timeline but I do believe that the incredible drop in cases is somewhat of an embarrassing shock to the Fauci world and they are working way to hard to remain relevant. I believe the pandemic is petering out just by seeing the numbers but what do I know?

All I do know is that I am sick and tired of basing my day on whether or not I remembered to bring a mask with me! Is it wrong to be honest?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's wrong to be wrong.

• Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  3. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Honesty is simply a bad thing. It may not fit anyone's agenda but the facts are that people are circumventing the mask wearing cause and the more the numbers drop I would suggest it will get greater. In fact, I believe that people will begin going maskless before the CDC or any other expert announces its acceptability. Call it a social observation.

When I wrote this I knew that some would want to play the anti-masker versus pro masker thing but don't any of you realize that even I, a man with a observation, continue to wear my wask for 11 hours each day at work and wear it at every business I go to. This isn't a competition...this is reality.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Makee a statement. I have Gators and Rays masks

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06

Aug 30, 2014
    What do you mean by "incredible drop in cases?" From the beginning epidemiologists were telling us we'd probably experience multiple waves, that means periods of spikes and troughs. You also seem to be thinking of masks in too absolute of terms as if it's just masks that are a factor in the trends in cases. No one can make any confident inference about masks simply by looking at the trends.

It takes controlled measurement.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Pure selfishness. I remember you whining about masks when this first started. Everyone chipped in to buy you a flight home and you bitched and moaned about having to quarantine when you got home. A little sacrifice won’t kill you. Suck it up.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You just made a bunch of conservatives on board very happy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I am not concerned with conservatives or liberals. I see what I see and I think that in general most are pretty much fed up with the mask thing. It really isn't the "new normal" and can you not agree that we are all just ready to watch a ballgame or see a concert without someone stating the "6ft distance" or "wear a mask" thing? Seriously. What I am seeing as I go around is that people are stretching the limits and I personally do not fault them. We are not meant to have our faces hidden from view nor to have to center our lives around a mask. I state again, I wear my mask and will continue to do so but reality is that I will be the first to burn mine when the time is right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Watched a tv show where strangers met and shook hands. Looked weird. Lol.

What’s the big deal? Wear a mask around other people, don’t shake hands, stay a few feet apart. Do those until the masses are vaccinated.

I wonder if hand shaking will come back or not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    If fauci thinks people will be voluntarily wearing masks thru 2022, he's seriously high on something. Ain't gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    You are welcome to be honest, and the rest of us are welcome to be honest back. The problem is when you claim that Dr. Fauci isn't being honest and imply he's just looking for attention. I don't like wearing masks, but I do it. Some people won't do it. I can't change that. Selfish people will be selfish. The pandemic isn't over, so you'll just have to suck it up until it is, like the rest of us. Or you can be one of the selfish people and refuse to continue wearing your mask.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I am clearly insulted by your statement and yes I found masks as being a pain in the a..! Was I "whining" no. Your description is most condescending. I will now block you because you are another that expects me to follow your line when in March 2020 many of you assisted on my return at the start of the pandemic. How much do I owe you? I will send it right now. It is incredibly unfair to expect me to play your politics when in fact I have been very clear all the way from the late 90's as to my beliefs. There is no way that I could ever express my thanks for everyone's assistance in getting me back home and for that I give my ultimate respect! But my beliefs remain.

Keep in mind that I am human and at the time I stated that masks were something I didn't like! In the Maldives there were no masks and the pandemic was new. I am a very smart man and I realize change is inevitable and you want me to be a basic clone of non change. I am not. I have been wearing my mask and have been a proponent since May of 2020! In fact I challenge people on wearing of the mask. But I am also intelligent enough to see trends and if you find that calling me out makes you somehow stand on a higher ground then I pity you. I pity you for not being able to comprehend my comments and I pity you for not understanding that we are all not vanilla in life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. thejman

thejman Freshman

Feb 21, 2021
    I self quarantine and if a human comes near I have a mask at the ready, as much for them as me. It's a killer Gator mask.

• Like Like x 2
  14. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Selfish is a political thing, isn't it? I am not condoning anything and you of all people should have seen that. I am stating a SIMPLE fact and for that this country and people like you should take a step back. You are stating a condescending statement when you imply something I never promoted. Fact is that people are tired of masks and this comes from people I meet or encounter of which is better than some stupid poll. Its real. Selfish is not acceptable. The fact that mask wearing is going on does not make it the necessary and many people are starting to see this.
    My belief is that the virus is going away because it is running its course. The reason I say this is that where I live is factually no one has changed their patterns..some wear it and some don't and yet the numbers are dropping. Is this because of wearing a mask? I don't know! But I WEAR A MASK!

My suggestion is that one learn to discuss and interpret because it seems that opinions are generated on way to fast based on subject lines. Think! Yes I am calling you to think!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess it depends where you live. I have not seen a drop in mask usage since wearing one is mandatory. I wear a mask at work and when I go into a store. I have no issue with it

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Guess we will see. I suggest that there will be no new waves and the "experts" know this. Yes trends can be a very real inference on what influences them. Controlled measurement just happened when comparing Florida to California. Strangely enough..the majority of the USA cases has dropped 60 percent from the peak. Look, that is an incredible drop. Can you dispute that?

17. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    This past week Florida had over 41,000 new cases, and 1,159 more Floridians died of COVID. I'm tired of the masks too, but I won't stop wearing one until the scientists say so. Do the math, 1.6 million a day getting vaccinated. If we can keep that up, or even increase those numbers, we will reach 70% vaccinated by July 1st. Hospitalizations are decreasing, so what does that tell you? Masks work. Keep it up!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    It already is. Which is another point I can make. Many people are reactionary and simply shake hands as the elbow thing was extreme and was simply not normal to us. Like it or not, change is reverting back.

19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't need you to lecture me about thinking. Pulling opinions out of your butt isn't the right sort of "thinking." What proof do you have that mask wearing isn't necessary? The people who are best versed in infectious diseases and this virus continue to say it is.

I don't care if people are tired of wearing masks. We all have to do things we don't like sometimes. If they choose not to wear masks because it is an inconvenience, they're being selfish.

As for your belief that the virus is just "running it course," there's zero evidence to support that. The people who have an expertise in the subject say the opposite. What we do have are vaccines. Given enough time, that should allow us to put this pandemic to rest. But we're not at that point yet. And I think it's wrong to impute bad motives to the people leading the response, like Dr. Fauci, based on your hunches.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    See, you didn't read it and you have lost your ability to think out of the box. I NEVER SAID MASKS WEREN'T NECESSARY! You imply that because words are not easily interpreted anymore. I suggest that the drop in cases has caught those in the public eye in a wrong position! Fauci has proclaimed, since Trump is gone, a new position and he was busy double masking and claiming everyone should not stop when all of a sudden the drop is 60 percent or more! You assume way too much and yes I am calling you out on this! Times are changing...it is a fact!

You explain the sudden drop. Vaccines? Of course not because not enough have been given. Masks? Have you looked around? People aren't wearing them in restaurants and other places and please..please! Look at Florida! I bet 50 percent are wearing masks and you must explain your take on this..and I am a mask supporter!

People are getting tired of wearing them and yet you imply it is a weird occurrance because it doesn't fit your agenda. I made a point based on observation and not on some social stance. Dude..of all people I really thought you would have understood this. Why the need to make me a villain when all I did was make a statement. This country really has lost it's ability to discuss and accept and for that I stand very strong with my opinion. You cannot make me out to be some evil source of conversation if you yourself cannot accept that you can be wrong also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2