Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

All the pieces...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by LAGatorDoc, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Must be nice to have only 1 game a year where you face equal talent and coaching. And you’re not banged up like those teams that had a rougher road to get there

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

True, but they’re particularly crippling when you lose both starters at one position and don’t have even a strong 2-deep

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    They usually play a couple of SEC teams every year, including the one that beat the mutts last year. And used to be halfassu and scUM didn't suck.

4. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I think we'll be fine if KT stays healthy and we don't lose 2 starting OL for the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yes, and we can’t be down to the McWilliams level in the secondary either. That position really needs to step up this year.

Linebacker is another place I’m looking for real improvement this season, with Cox, Diabate, Reese, and Wingo having an impact. You know......

.....it’s interesting to reflect on last year’s defense - really sketchy at LB, lacking in talent at DB enough so those LBs were frequently put in zone coverage, crippled on our pass rush......and people are blaming difficulties on “3rd and Grantham” like this is all due to bad coaching in their 2nd season rebuilding this team.

Before we rush to trade Todd Grantham in for the next Charley Strong or other shiny new toy to come along, it would be nice to see what our current staff can do with a talented and complete roster.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    Here's what concerns me, my expectations are always higher than they should be for the Gators. Clearly, there's talent everywhere, but it's unproven and inexperienced in some critical spots. After the shellacking Frank's and co gave Michigan in the Peach Bowl, I really expected the Gators might go to Atlanta in 2019. But I will be damned, Frank's reverted to the mere image of his ghost! So, I see question marks, and I hope I can say my concerns for next season are unfounded. I fully expect the Gators are going to deeply miss Jefferson, Swain, Cleveland, and Hammond. At wide receiver, it is simply not next man up. Those four didn't drop many passes and Hammond dropped only one the entire 11-2 season (I think if you check I'm spot on or close to it). Also, the OL is questionable, and what will the run game look like? Mullen cannot run the gamut next year being one dimensional. Trust me, I can be too optimistic, but there's a lot of what if's for next year! And I am hearing National Championship talk from Gator Nation, which is very premature! Chauncey showed how critical the Star position was, because no one has filled his shoes yet! David Reese is going to be sorely missed, and who will step up? Our defense looked average without Zuniga and Greenard in the game, and we're still vulnerable at Safety. Now, I am pumped for next year, but I think too much could be riding on young shoulders to expect a natty! Now, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to sing sweet potato pie and.shut my mouth!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Define "next level player". I'm trying to understand what you think is missing from this class. If you count transfers, we have 20 blue chippers on 247, including 4 5-stars. We may add another 5-star blue chipper in Evans. That would be 21 blue chippers with 5 5-stars.

The top class this year in rankings is UGA with 19 blue chippers, including 4 5-stars.

I think this our class could end up being as good as any in the country.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Cleveland will not be missed. And the others either if we can keep drops to a minimum. That's a big IF though with Copeland, Toney and the unproven guys.

9. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I’m not saying anything is missing from the class. I am saying we need to identify early the Alex Brown, Dexter Lawrence, Trevor Lawrence, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow type player and secure them early on. Many felt Demarckus Bowman was that guy. We identified him, but didn’t secure him. Clemson did.

What I am saying is we need to start winning these battles for players we think are next level.

We may have found one of these (or more) transcendent player in this class (Gervon Dexter). But the sure fire guy who elevated a squad... we can’t lose those battles anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm kind of scratching my head on these comments. I mean I get the theory of what you're saying but it's unrealistic to think we're going to sign the top player at every position and NOBODY, including the coaches knows how these kids are going to pan out. For every Tebow, there's a Byron Cowart.

All the coaches can do is sign the best guys available and see what happens from there. We got the #1 player in the state in Dexter, #1 WR from 2018, #2 RB from 2018, #2 DE in 2018, and we may sign the #2 RB (maybe the best) in this class (maybe better than Bowman). Wingo is a guy who could end up being an amazing talent too. Any of these guys could wind up being a "transcendent player".

We won a LOT of those battles this year! Other than maybe the misses at RB, I think this is arguably the best class we've signed in over a decade, and with Lingard and maybe Evans, RB could end up being the strength of this class.

Personally, I think we're already right at the verge of the "next level". This class may take us over the top. Sit back and enjoy it. These next few years could be a lot of fun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    He's not saying sign every top player at every position

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    But if we could Bobby....lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    Hear, hear!!!

14. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    I don't think Cleveland was the best pass catcher but he was a clutch player. He caught the ball at critical times. Case in point, he caught the winning td against Tennessee and then against the Gamecocks that turned the Gators season around in 2018. What I liked best about the receivers were the routes they ran and their blocking. Because there were so many talented wide receivers, the defenses couldn't keep up with them all! The Gators lost valuable experience that may sorely be missing in 2020! Don't get me wrong, we have reloaded at wide receiver, but I am not ready to say our talent is comparable to 2019!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Cleveland is an NFL caliber gunner and blocker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Dude, seriously? Look at Bobby’s post. Clemson didn’t sign the best player at every position. They had Deshaun Watson/Trevor Lawrence (they picked right) and 5 stars at a few key positions.

We seem to now be identifying the same type of player (Bowman), and earlier than under Mac but now we just need to follow through to actually sign them. We are meeting our needs at most every position. (It’s debatable at safety/RB, but in my opinion we did well with Lingard). But Evans could more than make up for not signing Bowman

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not my midline!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    The recruiting arc is clearly heading upward at a pretty darn good pace. I personally have confidence that it will continue to do so. We suddenly have several elite prospects already onboard, with the possibility of 1 or 2 more in the immediate offing. As far as "reasonable expectations" are concerned, I don't recall any serious predictions of a NC from anyone for 2020 - although I have seen some that are pretty dubious about our prospects. We all know that there is need for improvement at safety, the OL and in overall depth. We obviously need the younger talent to step forward at WR, but if past is prologue, we should be fine there. I'm not making any rash predictions just yet, but DM is doing a terrific job at identifying problem areas and addressing them successfully. I see no reason to believe that that trend won't continue as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yes dude, seriously! My point I'm trying to make is that this is a year I think our coaches did just about everything right. Yes, we lost a few battles but we also beat UGA and Clemson for some of their best talent in Braun and Henderson. Nobody gets everyone they want. We arguably did as well as any school in the country, especially if we get Evans.

It may not be your intended message, but when you say Clemson got Watson and Lawrence because "they picked right", it sounds to me like you're saying it's ultimately up to the school to pick the kids they want to take, but it's the kid's choice. Watson, Lawrence and Bowman chose Clemson because Clemson has been the kool-aid the last couple of seasons, Bama before that. I think UF is on the edge of becoming that kind of program.

UF has identified and offered the same level of talent just as early as the other top schools. Florida identified those same 3 players you mentioned and recruited all 3. Watson wasn't offered by UF, but the other 2 were. But the problem was that we really didn't have much to offer Watson or Lawrence because our QBs since Tebow has badly underperformed. We had something to offer Bowman and he liked UF, but the way UF has used RBs in the last 20 years, and the very limited success UF RBs have had in the NFL since Fred Taylor doesn't make UF as attractive to top RB recruits the way UGA, Miami and FSU are.

20. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea what he said

• Funny Funny x 1