Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

All I can say is holy shitskie

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Blind loyalty over performance may be Mullens downfall. See Grantham and Felipe Franks. If you have an explanation for even one of those two being Mullens choice Im all ears.

• Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. Though we should point out that this kind of logic can be applied to quell almost all criticism of our team, eg retaining Grantham.

I will never suggest that I know more than Mullen, but I will say that 1) I expected Jones to be a lot better passer by this point, and 2) Richardson looked freakish running the ball.

We have one more game before the real season starts. If I were Mullen I’d try to get a little more real game information about both players before making a decision about how to attack Bama.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    I believe one of the broadcasters relayed that Mullen says AR is the best QB he's ever coached. If that's true, the next couple of years are gonna be fun!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    It’s a good problem to have, guys. So many years of having 1/2 a QB, we don’t know what to do with 2. Obviously they both need some work, but we look to be in good shape.

I think EJ settles down and be the primary passer and AR will be getting more snaps as the season goes on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Bring back the Chip Kelly thread ! :emoji_upside_down:

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    tough to not have AR on the field way, way more now, unless he has an epic fall down to eclipse the wow factor in our minds. He looked to be the best athlete on the field last night.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    I compared it to nick Marshall at Auburn. Both are better runners than Fitzgerald was. They aren't running QBs they are tailbacks.

Marshall could make throws when defenses had to committ 8 guys to the line of scrimmage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. canagator

canagator GC Legend

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    It's a small sample size but I remember watching Richardson run some plays in the blowout bowl loss last season and thinking how he looks like such a great fit to what a traditional DM offence is! I will trust Mullen to make the proper personnel selections, it is obvious Richardson has quickly earned himself a bigger role!

9. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    AR is Cam Newton with his head on straight. The combination of size, strength and speed is elite. Open secret among the guys is that he is better than EJ, they all know it watching them in practice, you just can't hide it. When the accuracy is improved, and it can be, he will be one of our all-time QBs. EJ will be needed and will play an important role, kind of puts me in mind of Jalen Hurtz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    He’s the real deal. If I’m behind honest I would rather take my lumps with him learning on the job if it gave me a special year down the line. Recruiting like we do we need a special year at qb to win a title. I know I’m gonna get shit for this but everything about us makes me think of richts ga teams. Really really solid and great in certain areas some times but there was a clear difference between those ga teams and urbans uf teams. We exploded off the screen in all aspects. Even when we were 8-4 or whatever in 07 we exploded off the screen. It was like lighting stick of dynamite every time we took the field

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    And who in the Leak role?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    This^

• Like Like x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    And some of y’all were saying Carson Beck is better. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    I had the same "Cam" comparison running through my mind last night. Hopefully without all the baggage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    The Franks saga has been addressed & discussed a 1000 times. The team was void of any leadership when Mullen got here and he was looking for some Alphas to build the team around …and Franks was the one who seized and embraced it. While Trask, though obviously talented, was as quiet as a church mouse. It just was not his personality at the time. The locker room gravitated in Franks direction and it was obvious that it was his team. The guy went 12-3 as a starter after that with a QB stat line that we haven’t seen in 8 prior years. Yes, Kyle ended up being the better of the 2 …but walking into a 4-7 situation with a horrible culture and no confidence I don’t know why so many continue to argue about that decision, at that particular time.

As for Todd. I have no idea. Maybe he thought it was a bad time for a defensive rebuild. Especially with the roster being loaded with all of Grantham type guys …hybrids & tweeners. Or maybe he gave him a pass due to a Covid year where most defenses looked like trash anyway.

I just know when it comes to developing & managing QBs Mullen’s reputation is as good as anyone in the game …and it just seems foolish to constantly question it all the time. I’ve said for years we have the dumbest fan base in the country… so I guess that answers it.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This is as good a thread as any for this response. Mullen has an identity on offense that relies on a QB who is a threat to run and so the defense has to play up to stop him. When that happens it should open up the passing and you don't have to be Trask level in accuracy, just know who is open and throw it competently. Jalen Hurts is as ideal a QB for Mullen as there is.

Jones should be able to pull it off but for some reason the run game is marginally better than the Trask offense but overall there isn't any real concern by their defense. And so, he is put in a place where he needs to pass. It makes him a modern QB (pass first but can burn you running if you don't respect his running) but he is just not that QB. He just isn't.

Richardson runs in a way that the defense can NOT ignore him. That will put pressure on the defense and open up the passing game. Now the next step is recognizing the guy crossing the field behind or between the linebackers who are playing the run too much or the wheel route, along with the obvious one-on-one streak route. Can he do enough in the passing game to be THE Mullen offense QB?

My take is rather simple. Jones has one half against USF to show Mullen he has woken up or else this is going to be Richardson's team. And we have to live with his growing pains.

As an aside (maybe) I thought the rhythm of the offense looked much sharper with Richardson. It is possible players just play with more enthusiasm with him than Jones. Mullen can't ignore that aspect. He craves leadership and THAT defines leadership.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Its simple and not correct.

A coach who develops top QBs would never do that.

Trust in Mullen …

18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    And you believed that Franks was a better choice than Trask? I am not talking about Year 1 and the really bad O-line. I am talking about the eyes don't lie. I will give you this, Mullen has a stubborn streak and if he chooses to ignore his eyes the fans will NOT forget.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Not talking about Trask. OR Franks. YOU were talking EJ and AR

Im replying to your post …it would be incompetent coaching if played out your way.

End of conversation

Go gators

20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    EJ, of course.

• Funny Funny x 1