Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Klatsky Has Chance to Contribute (Graham Hall Feature)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Oct 3, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida walk-on has chance to contribute
    By Graham Hall gvl sun
    October 3, 2019
    Discussing the team’s depth at the preseason media day, Florida men’s basketball coach Mike White singled out freshman Alex Klatsky, his words implying the walk-on was a bonus for the Gators, in a sense.
    “We’ve got 14 with Alex Klatsky. So I’m not going to go (into rotations) yet,” White said. “You just never know what’ll happen.”

White’s words were cautious, yes, but he may have been prognosticating; while many scoff at the notion of a walk-on contributing at the Power Five level, Klatsky isn’t your normal walk-on. In fact, according to someone who’s seen him excel both on and off the court over the better part of a decade, Klatsky could more than just go against the grain.

That someone is highly regarded freshman Scottie Lewis, who has since middle school been teammates with Klatsky.

In the eyes of Lewis, who also has been touted by teammates and coaches alike for his intellect and poise since arriving in Gainesville, Klatsky could, simply put, be great.
    But for Klatsky, that may require greater devotion towards the latter part of the term “student-athlete”.
    Florida walk-on has chance to contribute - GatorSports.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The guy can shoot.

That might be enough in certain situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From what I have seen of Klatsky, he is a good but not great shooter. His strength from what I have seen is that he is a very smart and composed player. He played and started on a Ranney team that had tremendous talent, and he fit in well. He moves the ball quickly and is not afraid to shoot when he is open. He is going to be the 5th guard on this team, so his playing time likely will be limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Well, if he embraces perimeter defense...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He's a pretty good shooter, has good size for a guard, and has put on a lot of muscle since arriving in Gainesville. Plus, it's not like he is your average walk-on. He had scholarship offers from mid-majors, so he can play the game of basketball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I’d be really surprised if Klatsky got any meaningful minutes. That isn’t a knock on him. This team is very deep with very, very talented players.
    White will have enough of a challenge splitting minutes between guys like Locke and Mann. I don’t see Alex fitting into the equation much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    No, I don't see a lot of playing time for him this season and he might even redshirt. I'm thinking long-term. He's a 4-year guy who could be in the regular rotation down the road.

• Like Like x 3
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Let’s see if he can turn into a Hump type 3 point shooter by junior year. I have my doubts, but Klatsky could have gotten some lower tier scholarships to play basketball in college. Dad can certainly afford the tuition.