Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Jones trial going about how you’d expect

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Aug 3, 2022.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    How else would you become informed about a despot who took advantage of lemmings all too willing to sell their souls?

• Like Like x 2
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Why you cant understand how he defamed them is beyond me. This isn't censorship

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Dude, no one gets defamed at a circus. Jones said the parents who lost children and did interviews were “crisis actors” … how is it not defamation to call people frauds and liars?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

All those words to pretty much say what I said. Truth is truth.

6. tilly

Here's the thing though. He basically yelled fire in a theater. His false claims led to harassment and death threats to these families. He endangered people recklessly.

Defamation suits happen all the time and are nothing new. They are not a thread to 1A. 1A does not allow for defamation that endangers people.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry to be on the other side of righteousness.

It isn't to justify what he did, it is to question why him and not others? And to me, there are WAY worse players who just skate. This all feels like a righteous killing of a scumbag whose crime was to emulate other scumbags...who are either better connected or their message isn't so "out of what we want to nurture." I am not supporting him, I am including him in with the others. And to select his version of "scumminess" as being prosecutable whereas others' are just in poor taste (the Kansas folks for example) is using the first amendment in an arbitrary way, IMO.

8. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    But you didn’t answer my question, how is telling his audience that parents of the dead kids were frauds, lairs, and crisis actors not defamation? That sort of thing is damaging to their reputation, is it not?

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been sued before. He said Michelle Obama was a man and the Obama’s kidnapped their children…. But the Obamas didn’t sue.

Contrast that to Trump, who sued a guy, and got a settlement, who had tposted Malania was a former hooker on his blog…

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Kansas folks are lawyers. They know exactly where the lines are and stay on the legal side of the line. Their funding model is actually to be as obnoxious as legally possible, then sue those who cross the line in retaliation, and when they win the lawsuit, the proceeds go to the organization to fund future protests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He, as the maybe most listened to talk radio personality the last few years, went on a multi year, multi pronged attack for personal profit, by defaming non-public figures, parents whose only reason to even be brought up was 6 year old kids who were murdered. And worse, when one of the parents tried to get him to stop, he decided he needed to make that parent front and center in his lies and attacks to try and intimidate them. It was calculated from day one, and it was despicable.
    There really isn’t a comparison to anything or anyone, unless you can come up with an example of a non public figure experiencing this kind of loss having to deal with what these parents had to deal with.
    That is why this case resonated, and why you will never get anyone here to agree on the equivalencies being thrown out there.
    Jmo.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is why I believe HE believes it. He said what was necessary in court, and also lied through his teeth there about his wealth, true feelings, etc.

But also, pragmatically, what are his options? He is THIS, and not a single thing more. Cop to a scam, people like me will never give him a cent, AND he loses his only revenue stream. Worse, they’ll turn the viper pit on him like he does today. He’ll be the one looking for a nut he created trying to kill him.

This is the vicious cycle of profiteering off of lunatics. There is no floor. You might be king today, and it is indeed counted by day. A fruitier cake is right behind you at all times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I have no idea why people keep raising the “yells fire in a crowded theatre” example. That theoretical example has more to do with people who use speech to set off riots or panics (came up a lot discussing Trump and others culpability for 1/6).

There are other types of “speech” that aren’t protected from civil action, such as false and misleading claims a.k.a “fraud”. Libeling or defaming a person. It doesn’t even have to “endanger” them as this stuff does, it could literally just be financial loss or loss of reputation.

I have no idea what tegator is going on about. This case seems an extremely obvious case of defamation, the most disgusting case imaginable.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This a glib answer but, US Constitution speaking, whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"? Or what I prefer from B. Franklin: "your right to express your opinion ends at the tip of my nose."

Sorry, but the bad players have been around for a LONG time. He isn't a modern version of Charles Manson. Again, I am not proclaiming he is a misunderstood soul, I am saying put him in with the rest and prosecute the whole damn lot WITHOUT capriciousness and arbitrariness. To me he is a convenient blow-off valve to some folks who like being in control and prefer to use a scapegoat.

And as I posted several times, the first amendment is the first listed for a reason. It is THE main rock the US's foundation is built. Lose it and the rest will NOT hold up. It just won't.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    See my post before this. Level the field.

15. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I think you might be misinterpreting that. Sounds like he saying your right to express your opinion ends when it harms someone. That is why we have liable, slander, and defamation laws.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You are not mistaken, in the more modern incarnations of what is and and isn't allowed. You are conveniently missing my main point that I want MUCH better accounting of what is crossing the line. Too many elites are getting "apologist" status for convenience, IMO.

17. tilly

Because it caries the same dangers as yelling fire in a theater. It creates a mob mentality of people who believe what they hear with no truth to it. That mob than recklessly harms innocent people.

The person yelling fire did so knowing the risk of endangering innocent people. But for selfish reasons did it anyway.

I get the legal difference. But morally they are quite similar and neither is protected speech.

18. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I keep hearing from one of mine that the judge was unfair and biased (and that I should quit reading the msm). Don’t know where he is getting that. I’ve looked on line and can’t find much using Google. Does anyone know what the genesis of that thought might be. @duchen pointed out that the plaintiff ignored an email wrt to phone contents saying “disregard”. Is that it or is there more?

19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The judge ruled against Alex Jones, isn't that proof enough of their unfairness and bias?

20. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2