Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Jones trial going about how you’d expect

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Aug 3, 2022.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

To assume the NYT Times and WaPo are “getting away” with something relative to Infowars suggest you think they are all peers. Laughable.

Kind of funny. You state the standards for a defamation/malice case are high, did you consider those bars were met (and thensome!) in this Jones case? Like… are you holding out for the possibility these victims are crisis actors? Otherwise I have no idea what you are getting at.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Again, he was not ordered to pay money because he was a scumbag. He was ordered to pay money because he committed defamation, and the plaintiffs proved their case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, if you believe ridiculous conspiracy theories about globalists and the like, then you can always make yourself into the victim of "them." However, in the real world, something far more simple happened. Alex Jones made a bunch of money defaming the families of children that were murdered. Those families sued him. The court held that they proved the case to the requisite degree required. Not a globalist or somebody that wants to make the frogs gay or whatever. Then, the jury, not a globalist conspiracy, decided on the damages and a punitive amount to attempt to convince him not to do it again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Jones is here and now. He is THE news cycle in a bunch of ADD populaces. I get it. Their transgressions were not in this cycle. It does not mean they did not occur, just that we didn't hear anything close to "the tobacco industry FINALLY is getting their due". And I want your side to own that fact, that there are some "creative interpretations" of the A1. And that is a bad sign.

5. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Time to end this repartee. You see what you see and I see what I see. We are not going to change each other's minds. And again, just to leave it there and go ahead a reply if you think you must, this is way, WAY bigger than Jones and his actions.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Jones net worth is far more than I would have imagined, which makes this case all the more sick. He’s defaming these people in the most heinous way possible, and it’s all for $$$. That’s even worse than your normal run of the mill defamation case, which might be between two people who know/hate each other. This is just straight up evil, (tormenting totally innocent private citizens who were also victims of a heinous crime).

You realize the NYT and Wapo employ professional journalists, right? Most of them probably don’t have 1/100th the net worth that Jones enterprise of lies brings him. But they are not free from defamation suits when they make mistakes (I pointed out the Sandman example earlier, Sarah Palin also sued, I’m sure they actually get sued with some frequency). Maybe these organizations don’t get “nailed” because the court cases against them are weak or they aren’t actually showing malice? Maybe when they make an actual mistake they simply… correct the record. Seriously, give me an example of defamation as egregious as making up lies about mass shooting victims. I’ll wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It is not. Jones wants to portray it as such for profit and to avoid liability for his actions. You do for your own reasons. But "globalists" didn't do this. Alex Jones did. And now he will pay. Exactly as it should be. And no amount of both-siderism or mysterious conspiracies will change that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Time to end this repartee also. You get the last word if you want. You could be correct...or the standard is SO high because it is private entities and not tyranny-potential governments doing the deeds (but not in Jones' case, allegedly by me or at least to the level of the penalty) OR the fox IS in charge of the hen house. Gee, I wonder why there aren't any chickens in the house? Can't prove malice. Oh well, time for America's Got Talent!

9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I am unaware of the NYT or WAPO stating the Sandy Hook parents were crisis actors. Have they done something equally egregious? Were the victims prohibited from suing? Is the law not applied equitably as your posts infer?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A lot, mostly probably, to be sure.

But also people like my uncle, who has just always been captivated by conspiracy. Even AJ was at one time just sort of a kook. More like George Noory, who I am still unsure of to this day. He had obvious mockery on regularly, my fave being the two “competing” Bigfoot capture teams. One time one of them finally got him, only to have the other team invade the camp and free him so that the first group didn’t “win.” George played it as if he believed every word, and I honestly don’t know if he was in on the joke or not. But it was all harmless.

Sure, he had some NWO stuff too, but it was never treated differently than Bigfoot. He may have really believed that too, but he never called for executions and insurrections.

I used to have a blast talking this stuff with my uncle. But sure enough, he evolved with the AJ faction into a fear of existential evil that leads to considering difference of opinion as a threat to his being. He’s unapproachable now. I actively avoid him, and that’s a shame.

I think the closest AJ came to the truth was his testimony that he was insane (my paraphrase.) But I don’t believe HE believes that. He truly thinks Michelle Obama is a man, and how that poses a threat to your very existence and all the nuttery required to connect all those dots is his real mind.

Now that anyone can “produce” this content, it’s open season. Mass shooters are spawned from this shit, which in turn just drives the mentality farther. Those very killers are now false-flaggers and CIA plants, and the psychosis only grows.

It’s a diabolical positive feedback loop, and I don’t see the solution. If AJ were to repent, sincerely, today, he’d immediately be swallowed by the machine he currently maintains.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMO, yes. They have the "too big to fail" moniker. And if you read some of my posts, I believe they are the proverbial fox guarding the hen house. My point isn't so much that Jones is a decent guy and he got caught doing something less-than-stellar and should be given a mulligan, it is that the rules of libel, defamation, and malice are VERY high standards to meet to get a prosecution. It is because governments are prone to tyrannical motivations, whereas the private entities usually don't have that luxury.

However, unregulated monopolies can fall into that trap, but usually they become fat and lazy rather than malevolent. They are supposed to be accountable to the government entity that granted them monopoly status. In Virginia, that is the State Corporation Commission, which is the bureaucracy they have to appeal to, to get permission to generate more revenue.

The NY Times and the Washington Post have been dinged plenty of times by the "truth seekers" but they have always claimed it was due to "rogue journalism" rather than a corporate policy. But documentation has indicated the executive branches (and including the upper-level editors) knew and endorsed this "rogue" behavior. But what they got for their agendas is mainly a shrug.

That is the standard, based on precedent. Jones is NOT getting the same treatment. And to my OP, that is exactly (IMO) what Griner is experiencing in Russia and her desire to have some personal drugs in her possession.

And again, I say Russia is a totalitarian state with a likely despot running it. What is the US's excuse for having double standards? Methinks it has something to do with who is in power (parties) and what the handlers of the elected officials want to do. But that is just me.

12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Damn

String

Theory

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Though I blocked him, it's always apparent when 95 is having a tantrum.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Potzer01

Potzer01 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    If the media didn't tell me who Alex Jones was, I'd have no idea. It's tough for me to get real mad from there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Actually in this case it's TeGator.

16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ahhh, thanks. I only have two people blocked. Te was because he never ever wrote anything of substance - just inane takes. Until the covid thread, where 95 lost his mind, I'd only ever had Te blocked.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You like me. You really, really like me!!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  18. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I block nobody. Just passing along info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    How much $$$ have you sent to that carnival barker? There are much more deserving local charities that could put that to good use

20. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If you must know, I don't send money to anyone and I did NOT vote for Trump, either time. I am a GDI, if you know what that means.

Why do you think this isn't some convenient way to justify censorship, or even downright tyranny, because there are enough folks who hate the damn man? Does anyone have a clue as to what the first amendment is designed? Have we bought into so many caveats and provisos that we don't understand why it is the first amendment for a reason? Is history and human nature SO quaint and obsolete? I will just say, it is a form of moral hazard, and any society who does not implicitly understand its meaning and sanctity will no longer be a society in its current incarnation. It is the law of the jungle, and it doesn't just go away because we don't want to be bothered by the details.