Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama offers 2021 Lake Mary long-snapper Underwood

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorjjh, Oct 22, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    The No. 1 guy?
    Alabama offers 2021 Lake Mary long-snapper Underwood a scholarship
    By Chris Hays Sentinel Sports
    Lake Mary has a secret weapon down in the trenches, but the Rams can’t keep it quiet much longer because Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide have come calling.
    Rocco Underwood, the Rams’ 2021 long-snapper, took an unofficial visit to Alabama during the weekend and he was shocked by what transpired. Alabama special-teams coordinator Jeff Banks told Underwood he had a scholarship offer prior to Saturday’s victory over Tennessee. Underwood, who is ranked No. 1 in the country by Rubio Long Snapping, said he was speechless.

“I was so surprised. I didn’t even know. It was so crazy,” Underwood said of the possibility that he might get a scholarship offer during his visit. “We were talking about the snapper who is there right now, Thomas Fletcher, and he graduates the same year I do and how it’s a perfect fit and how they only pick up a long-snapper every four years. And, then of course, they want the No. 1 guy.
    Underwood is the cousin of the punting Townsend brothers — Johnny and Tommy — and he’s quick to point out those who have been instrumental in helping him along the way.

“We were just out messing around in the yard one time, me snapping to them, and I was like, ‘Hey, maybe I can do this,” Underwood said. “So we looked up a few camps, like the Rubio camps, and that’s how I got my name on the radar. It just all came together and it’s great.”

He said the mentorship his cousins have provided has been “huge.” Johnny, a former Florida Gator, is currently awaiting his next punting opportunity in the NFL after spending last season with the Oakland Raiders while Tommy is a redshirt senior at Florida, averaging 45 yards per punt.

The No. 1 guy?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Perhaps the Townsend brothers should have a chat with the lad about playing in Orange and Blue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    Interesting. First thing that came to mind is that Saban is trying to get us to burn a scholly on him since he is probably UF bound due to family. Hmmm.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I'd be careful they've jerked around a lot more important players with greyshirts and the like.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    For sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Saban is toying with this young man's life... He needs to get to Gainesville and forget that clown Saban... that promises more scholarships than he can deliver.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Bingo

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Should have jumped on that offer.once Saban gets sober its gone

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Well we just got a good 2020 long snapper commit in Drews (see new thread) so may not need him. But can never have too many!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    You snooza...you looza...

11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think we went with a long snapper that is 6’5” and can grow into body

12. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think this is a legitimate offer. Bama had to burn a scholly on a LS in 2017, and Tennessee had to burn one on a LS last year. We have been very fortunate to be able to get PWO over the years of the quality that other programs have not been able to get. I only wish that we had used that extra scholarship better over the years.

13. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Sophomore

Apr 12, 2007
    Do they waive admissions requirements for walk ons?

14. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Ok, in this kicking analogy the part of Lucy will be played by Nick Saban, Charlie Brown will be played by Rocco Underwood....... aaaaaaand action!

Don’t fall for it Rocco, Saban is the Debil.

• Funny Funny x 1