Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama @ Florida 9-18-21....What Say You All?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CadGator, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    We have a shot at winning IMHO if two things happen.

1- we need to establish the run. Long drives wear defenses out, which shows up later in the game as fatigue sets in. Defense takes more energy than offense simply because the D has to react / respond and the O knows exactly where they’re going. We have a deep stable of RBs with talent so we can keep them fresh. EJ is a slippery runner which will help move the chains. Zipperer can block if needed, or release out. If our O line is serviceable, we might be able to establish the run. Everything else for a successful running game lines up. Proven RBs, plus some new ones who are a threat to take it to the house. If they’re on the field, they can block and catch too. Say what u want about Knox as a recruiter but our RBs are well coached.

2- leadership on defense. Both from Grantham and the players. For Grantham - I’ll know by the second or third defensive series whether our D has improved simply by watching whether they can line up properly and be set before the snap. Covid, lack of practice, injuries, all-SEC schedule, etc - whatever other things made last season a defensive shit show, there is no excuse for not being set prior to the snap. That is a coaching fail and Grantham owns it. If we see guys running around confused because the play comes in late - that’s on Grantham. I can live with guys being in the right place and getting beat by someone on the other team making a better play, but we gotta have them in the right place.

Next. We need some guys to step up as leaders. They don’t even have to be the best players on the field. Give me a David Reese or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Totally different styles. Reese was all business. CGJ was always talking smack and backing it up. I’m hoping Trey Dean puts it all together this year and becomes a vocal leader and the hard hitting safety we really need to keep a lid on the deep pass and come up in run support and lay the wood. He sure looks like he’s put on the muscle to do it. Lastly, our guys need to make tackles when they are in position to do so. Perhaps that was a function of lack of practice last year and will be remedied this year. We shall see.

I think we could steal the game from Bama if we can run it on them, and our D plays fundamentally sound. I think UF wins the turnover battle here and that might put us over the hump. I’ve heard the Elam has been working out and training 2x per day (according to GNF Podcast) and is poised to have the kind of season that will make him an early first rounder. That’s a problem for
    Bamas new QB as it takes half the field away in the passing game.

One area I’m not sure about is kicking. Haven’t heard enough to know how much McPherson’s departure hurts us.

Should be an exciting game.

• Like Like x 2
  2. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    This game will need to be 'South Carolina blocked kick' loud to win. Kids need to scream until blood is flying out of their mouths...:eek::confused:o_O:D

Go Gators-beat the Tide...;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is typical Bama. By the end of the 2nd game we should have a better idea of what both teams can do especially EJ and the defense and pretty much the same for Bama. Bama may surprise on defense this year, might have one of their best defenses in a long time. But it's paper stats and until we see both teams play a game, we have no idea. Our Gators are going to have to prove they can run the ball, not use it to give EJ a breather. If we had a run game last year, we would have have won more games. The other issue is Grantham; will it be a decent to good defense or a normal turd? The 3rd and Grantham will be etched into his tombstone on the day he dies. We'll see if 2020+Covid really was an aberration or par for the course.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I’d like to see one of the following:

1) With the five running backs, I’d run it down their throats like we did several years against Georgia. Rotate the RBs and have a fresh one in on every series.

or

2) Do like the high school coach in Texas does. Don’t kick. Go for it on every fourth down. Onside kick it every kickoff. Give them a short field?
    At least our defense has less field to cover and won’t be gassed.

We’re going to lose anyway, so why not make it interesting?

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    No way we can run it down Alabama’s throat. They are too big and strong upfront. We will have to be creative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I guess there’s not much room for a little humor around here, is there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I think Mullen will go uptempo in an attempt to negate the depth advantage on Bama’s defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Pain….

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. g0ggles

g0ggles Senior

Sep 8, 2012
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Line it up. I'm around a few Bama fans, they brought this game up, they have it circled. This is probably the best time to get em. New QB, turnover at wr/ol/secondary. And the 1st true road game. wish I could be down there

• Like Like x 3
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You might need to change your name from believer to unbeliever...

I want to beat them every freaking time we play them. And beating Bama twice in one year would be EPIC! Not saying it's probable, but I dream big. And it's NOT optimistic to dream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Remember that we're not trying to defeat Alabama.

We're trying to defeat Nick Saban.

If you can out coach Nick Saban - you're in some damn rare air!

So how does one do that? That's the question everyone should be asking themselves......

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Get real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger GC Legend

May 11, 2013
    Jones only ran it twice but got like 11-12 yards both times

Bamas defense was just getting tired because we were dragging them up and down the field just like they were us.

We still couldn’t run the ball to save our life though

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I am confident Mullen can do it.
    If we had the same depth and talent feel real good the games would be a tossup!
    Saban hauls in the #1 recruiting class year after year.
    We have to find a way to be competitive there or we will be fighting an uphill battle.
    I think your wrong, we are trying to beat Bama and their brand and Saban is a part of their brand.

15. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Put another way - if Nick Saban was our coach.....and Dan Mullen was Bama's coach.....and everything else stayed the same....including the "brand" as you put it......would we have an advantage in the game, just because of the coaching change?

Or not?

I'm not trying to bash Dan Mullen, as much as drive home the point that we are up against Nick Saban....and what he brings to the game.......not just Bama.

He's considered to be the best coach in college football.

Whether you like it or not. Whether you choose to accept it or not. That's who we're up against.

As far as recruiting goes - they always do better than us. But I still maintain we have what we need to win at the championship level. We just need the right coaching and the right culture of winning here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    I really think this new Heater offence is going to surprise a lot of people. If our D is back on track, watch out!

17. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    If they could pull it off, it would be the beginning of the turning point we have been praying for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think Bama will try to attack us like the Sooners did. Make us stop the run first, which we proved we were unable to do last year. Keep our O off the field.

19. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Maybe later when it gets a bit cooler.....;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Which is why it's imperative that we score first. And hopefully maintain our lead.

If we win the toss....we need to get the ball on offense first - not defer. Then go down and get 7. After that just maintain the lead - through ball control, moving the chains, scoring, and most important of all....clock management.