Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama @ Florida 9-18-21....What Say You All?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CadGator, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I hear you and agree about not running EJ into their defensive game plan. But - Bama also has a rookie QB and key to winning this game will be putting pressure on him and hoping our DBs can get a pick or two to shake his confidence. We get a pick of an errant throw and The Swamp jumps all over him and....we could pull this off

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

screw covid
    Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I have to disagree about your opinion on the key to the game hinging on what the defense does.

I've always felt it's the offense's job to win the game.

First and foremost in everybody's mind should be that the offense must keep the chains moving. And eventually score.

Once we turn the ball over to the opponent - we've given up our chance to manage the clock and score.

Sure....our defense could also score. But it's more the job of the offense to score - not the defense.

This game will be decided by which head coach has the best strategy, prepares his team the most, and utilizes his players best during the game.

Unfortunately, Coach Saban has proved time and time again that he is unparalleled in this endeavour.

That doesn't mean we can't win this game. But it will all come down to how our head coach handles things. Offense being the primary focus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    This is a L in my books. Dont see how we beat them..even in the Swamp. This season feels like a 7-5 season to me.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m really not disagreeing with you - but the fact that they’re breaking in a new QB is a potential opportunity to keep this from being a scoring fest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    It's a good point you make, no doubt.

I look forward to seeing the new guys on our defense along with some of the ones from last year who stepped up.

I hope they are hungry @Skink and come ready to feast!

7. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    We're gonna play them close until the fourth quarter then Bama's depth is gonna blow up a tired Gator defense. Bama 38 Gators 24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    24?

Nah......Emory will throw for 3 TD's...just in the first quarter alone! Our offense gonna blow up their defense!
    :emoji_wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Re watch the Florida/ bama game last year. I don’t remember Emory getting less than 5 yards a carry and they damn well knew he was running. I like a lot of what you say but the fact is you beat teams like bama when you can establish a run game unless you have a crazy crazy talented qb.
    We are going to beat bama by 10 or more. Their treon harris qb will have 2 picks and a fumble in his first big road game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Certainly have the coaching and skill players that can pull this off but not near the depth that Bama has. Will say it again, in order for us to compete on a consistent level we need to recruit better. If Dan had the depth and talent that Kirby does I'm confident he will have more success.

Hoping the new facility will help but still need a relentless recruiting coordinator!!!!
    (Was gonna say a recruiter who is a Bulldog but probably wouldn't go over well on this board?)
    :p:p:p

Go Gators!!!

12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Good early season whuppin to put a cork on crazy obsession for another glorious Gator season. Sad thing is some fans could filter that sorry attitude over to hoops.

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Would be incredible.

14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's really hard to gauge this game because neither team will have the same proven great talent.

But we do know what to expect from their team scheme wise... But we will have a more Tebow-esque type run-options offense... with far better running backs. It's going to be fun to see how our coach evolves our team with a whole different scheme. And a DC sitting on the Sun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One more thing about Bama... screw them for ever, and their paid insiders in the SEC and the NCAA...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    And let us not forget the SECN. They dont even try to hide their Bama backside licking. Sickening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    When we ran the ball right through them to score a TD at the end of the 3rd qtr last year I thought we were going to win the game....but the defense could not stop Najee. I think Bama big...but... if the OL comes to play and we get great push and can run the ball we have a chance. if we have rely on the qb to throw it 45 times we get blown out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    In our last game with Alabama.....we* ran Trask more times than we did all our RB's combined....and not surprisingly......his total yardage was zero.

[​IMG]Florida Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
    Emory Jones 2 24 12.0 0 17
    Kadarius Toney 2 15 7.5 0 13
    Nay'Quan Wright 4 11 2.8 1 6
    Dameon Pierce 2 2 1.0 1 1
    Malik Davis 1 2 2.0 0 2
    Kyle Trask 15 0 0.0 1 6
    TEAM 26 54 2.1 3 17

And Trask was not known for his running ability - but we* ran him anyway.

And have you ever asked yourself why in the 4th quarter it only took 4 plays to go 75 yards to start the second half.....but later in the game when we needed two scores....we used 10 plays to go the same yardage (75 yards) and get one score? Point being the first drive only took 1:35 and the second ate up 2:52. I wonder if we would have gotten that score quicker if we* had passed more instead of running it.

And why would we run it - when we were short on both time and points. And had Heisman candidates as both QB and receiver - but not at RB?

You can check out the play calling here, if you want:

Alabama vs. Florida - Play-By-Play - December 19, 2020 - ESPN

Now we have Emory - arguably known more for his running ability - although if you look at his stats:
    Emory Jones career stats at Florida:
    RUSH: 92 rushes for 513 yards = 5.6 yards per carry
    6 touchdowns
    PASS: 55/86 (64%) for 613 yards = 7.1 yards per pass
    7 touchdowns & 1 interception

Clearly - his ability to pass exceeds his ability to run.

So the question is - what will we* do this time with our QB to achieve success? The answer will lie in the play calling, just as it did in our last game with Alabama.

*CDM

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    If we can keep it close early and keep the crowd in it I can see us winning this game. Especially if we hit a big play early much like the Auburn game and the crowd gets crazy. This is a game the crowd needs to be rockin and can definitely help us win this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I
    tll come down to can Mullen overcome the obvious talent advantage and EJ will have to be a big part of tgat.