Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama @ Florida 9-18-21....What Say You All?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CadGator, Jul 14, 2021.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I guarantee that if we score more than Alabama, we will win that game.

But, seriously, I think the main reason we hung with Alabama last year was Kyle Trask. I think Emory will do well, but, I have my doubts that he will manage to put enough points on the board to outscore Alabama so early in his starting career. I really hope I'm wrong because our season will go into hyperdrive if we win that game. Maybe UA losing Mac Jones is equivalent to UF losing Trask and we can pull off an upset. The Swamp would be En Fuego.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If the game is close before the 4th qtr we have a chance. It all depends on our D versus their new offense.

3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its not even an original nickname. To my knowledge the original "3rd and" DC was John Chavis when he was at UT.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Guess they aren’t as good as the top offenses. Looks good in an inferior conference though.

5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Probably so, but I definitely remember Granthams nickname at uga.

6. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think there are way to many variables to definitively say that. I think college football is definitely trending offensively. But that doesn't mean good offenses can't be stopped when it matters.

7. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    My nickname for Grantham is "you should have been fired."

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
  9. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    It's not about winning. It's about keeping it just close enough that little Nicky's jugular bursts when he inevitably throws one of his famous sideline tantrums.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I say Gator bites elephant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    In my humble opinion...........

The strategy I think best for a win against Bama is:

1. If we win the toss, we elect to get the ball first. If they win the toss, hopefully they will elect to kick to us.

2. On offense.......first drive........do not play into their expectations that Emory will run the ball. If you do....they will stop him. He is "advertised" as a running quarterback. They will prepare for a running quarterback. We will "counter" by throwing....not running.

2. In doing the above , we can move the chains and score and thus we are ahead by 7 (assuming the extra point is made).

3. After that it is merely a matter of trading score for score.

4. It doesn't matter if they score as long as we score as well. This means we continue to do what they do not expect. Mullen will have to do something with Emory that throws off Bama's defense. Throw the ball when they expect a run. If he tries to run it, they will stop him. If they stop him, we will not be able to move the chains. If that happens we lose the advantage of a one score lead. Also at that point there will be more pressure on our defense than there would normally be.

5. In other words.....this is the offense's game to win. The defense really doesn't have to do the work. The offense does.

6. But it all starts with not running Emory. He's got a fantastic arm - and we can move the chains easily as long as Mullen understands he has to do what is unexpected, in order to move the chains and score first. That is the key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    You are absolutely correct that we have to do to Alabama what they don't expect! Isn't that always the case though? If we are going to play the game of trading scores with Bama I think, unless the EJ run attack proves to be a juggernaut, the odds of us winning are very slim. They have more bigger and stronger horses than us on both sides of the ball. We can't win this unless our D can get some stops and we can keep their D on their toes with a balanced attack.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    If I'm reading your comments right....maybe you are putting too much emphasis on defense performing and not enough on our offense performing. Emory will not be able to run the ball. We'll have to pass it. And that's a good thing!

Emory has a hell of an arm on him. He can throw - and he is accurate. And we have a ton of receivers including WR, TE, and RB. We need to play a passing game - especially the first drive. Get up 7-0....then maintain it with the offense scoring every possession.

Another way of putting it.....

If I'm watching the game....and I say to myself...."Emory's going to run the ball." And he does. And he gets stopped. That's way too predictable.

My entire focus is on Emory. That is because as I said - he's "advertised" as a running (dual purpose) QB. And that is what Bama will be preparing for.

We have to go completely away from what they will prepare for.

That's all I'm saying.

Again - the play calling of our QB will be the deciding factor - much more than anything that has to do with defense.

If we don't move the chains - we are asking too much of the defense. I'm not saying they wouldn't be up to the task. I'm just saying - if the offense does it's job - we likely win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. 4everaGator

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think you may have misinterpreted my use of the term "EJ run attack". What I mean is the offense run (or orchestrated) by EJ. Not that he would be running all the time, quite the contrary. But thanks Bazza, as always I enjoy reading your comments!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK, thanks for the clarification and apologies for the misunderstanding. ;)

I'm just posting my thoughts ahead of time. Obviously, I'm just a fan with little experience calling plays and coaching, so I could be completely upside down.

People yak about Bama being this and that all the time but ultimately it's the head coach that really impacts whether games are won or lost. Saban has proved that. He's got the right instincts and really covers all the basics so well. We need to step it up to compete at his level.

But as the HBC says...this is this talking season, so I'm glad we can do just that!

I enjoy your posts as well, @4everaGator - enjoy the rest of your w/e! :emoji_thumbsup:

16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I dont think its wise to ask a QB to do the opposite of what he does best and put all the pressure on him. We need balance imo. Run and pass balance, offense and defense balance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 4everaGator

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    We know EJ runs well but he also can throw quite well based on what we are told and on the limited snaps we have seen him play. It's hard to say right now that asking him to throw more would be going against his strengths, just not enough data to date.
    We also know that he can't be running all the time because teams will learn how to stop it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Coach Saban says....you're his kind of person!

[​IMG]

19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    EJ should be less predictable as a starter than he was in limited duty special package work last year. But, part of the game plan against Alabama should be to limit the number of designed keepers to help keep him healthy.

20. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    I think we win in OT.