Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama @ Florida 9-18-21....What Say You All?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CadGator, Jul 14, 2021.

1. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Definitely agree with that but I don't think our talent and certainly our depth is quite at the same level. Same with UGAG but their coaching is going to hamstring a lot of that talent with general dumb-assness.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    My first impression is to be pessimistic- after all they are Bama and we are not.
    But Mullen has done well scheming vs Bama in his last 2 tries, though both were losses.

So Mullen's success vs Bama, plus the home crowd, the early date, their new personnel, etc make me think we can pull the upset.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    That is my biggest concern of all. We should have seen more from him by now. I do have a lot of confidence that our running game will thrive with him back there and we'll see more receivers open when defenses finally have to respect the run. That might not be the case against Bama. Our best hope that day will be game preparation. If anybody (other than Meyer) can find a soft spot in their defense, it's Mullen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Our defense can't be any worse than last year. I am still numb that Grantham is still here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Declaring that "we have 3rd and Grantham" at this point in the summer is beyond redundant. That's why I suggested something more original. Consider the very real possibility that the recent Covid season was a kind of perfect storm for our team, particularly our defense......

Our only really talented player in the defensive backfield last season was a true sophomore who last practiced with the team over a year earlier as a true freshman. The rest of the personnel back there were average at best with practice - worse without. Our front 4 were ridiculously thin, with our two best pass rushers hobbled more often than they were healthy - certainly more than they were both healthy at the same time. Our backups up front were raw and also without practice. There may be Defensive Coordinators out there who could have produced better results with that roster. But we don't know that.....

It is routinely said that Grantham's defense is too complicated for college kids. That may or may not be true, especially if we really had a 3 deep of talented and experienced players like Bama and Clemson do. But if there's truth to that, then it's reasonable to assume that the roster Grantham had last season was in over their heads. Maybe you re-write the defensive playbook to dummy it down for one season - maybe Grantham should have done that. But that's probably a hell of a lot easier said than done as everybody is learning together on the fly in a very weird season with the virus that impacted everything from rosters to game schedules....

By all accounts, our defensive backfield should be more talented, and our front 4 should be deeper this season. They will also have the benefit of practice going for them. Grantham's defense should perform better based on that alone. And if some on-field leadership emerges, they have the potential to be significantly better. Bury that worn out "3rd and Grantham" card until we see what they can do under more normal circumstances. If they suck again this year, then I'll be right there with you calling for his head. And Mullen will probably cut him loose. But going all doom & gloom in your pre-season predictions without even considering that last season was the most screwed up season of college football we've seen in our lifetimes is ignorant.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Let's not do this. I think you responded in detail because you know I can be reasonable and we can have a good discussion about this.

I agree with you that we didn't have elite talent, and a shortened preparation didn't do us any favors. I have never not said that.

There are three issues though (in my mind):

1) That defense was arguably the worst we've ever had. And it was coached by a guy who is paid 1.8 million per year.
    2) 2020 was year 3, not 1.
    3) If you look at his career trajectory, his defenses have a history of regressing the longer he is somewhere.

Which leads me to think the concern posted by our fellow Gators on this board is valid. I also don't see it posted as "doom and gloom", rather than a realistic concern to consider.

With that being said; I appreciate your optimism and hope you are right and Todd Grantham shuts us all up this year. We have a lot of new bodies and I bet the D has a sour taste in their mouth and are ready to step it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    BAMA, defending champs, given the fact neither has played and have significant roster swings, right now I would consider BAMA a prohibitive favorite.

Damn hard not to see things through Orange and Blue lenses too.

Having said that I am optimistic and
    am excited about EJ and the QB room in particular.

Let's face it, BAMA is the top of the mountain, if UF can scale it, bring on the rematch!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Buster Douglas.
    Miracle on Ice.
    1969 Mets.
    1967 Super Bowl.
    52-20.
    32-29.
    10-6.
    0-5 vs 5-0.
    1969 Reaves to Alvarez.
    41-14.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks for your reply. My take:

1) forget the $1.8M - fretting about that is as non-productive as most of the past exchanges we've had :D
    All that matters is results.
    2) Our defense last year was bad. "The worst we've ever had" is hyperbole - we've had some really bad seasons in the years before 1990. But back to why they were so bad in 2020 -- I think people are too quick to dismiss the unique combination of factors that likely impacted our team far more than the teams with depth and experience. We were really short on talented and experienced players last season. Emphasis on the word and. The inability to not only have organized practices, but also not even be in close proximity to each other was kryptonite to our defense. And yet, we still beat Georgia and won 8 other games.
    3) yes 2020 was year 3. In season 2, our defense under the same DC was the overwhelming reason we upset a highly ranked Auburn team in The Swamp. Our D has had some solid moments - 2 highlight reel interceptions by CGJ as we shut down Michigan in Atlanta was a solid performance too -- same DC. And you can't credit Trask to Pitts for that win either - neither played.
    4) Career trajectory - doesn't look good, but that information is also available to Dan Mullen. I'm still trusting in him over this. Bottom line, if not for last year, we wouldn't be having this discussion, so to me it goes back to #2. If Grantham's D doesn't perform respectably this season, I'd be amazed if Mullen doesn't send him on his way.

This time last year nobody even thought we'd have a football season. The arguments against it outnumbered the arguments supporting it. When the SEC made the call to play, nobody in their right mind was going to attach a lot of significance to the outcomes of the games - it was largely a decision to keep at least some revenues trickling in. South Carolina's decision to fire Muschamp at season end was both wrong and overdue. They should have done it a year earlier. But no coach should have been fired after that effed up 2020 season. Not Grantham, not even Muschamp.

Thanks for the civil exchange - maybe we're on to something, so long as we stay the hell away from politics :cool:

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Yes, I think we stand a pretty good chance. DM can dial up a game plan in big moments as good as anyone.

As far as the recruiting take ...I think that you are not looking at the overall picture. Basing a team’s strength on recruiting rankings is so 2011, now a days. The whole idea of recruiting is to make your roster as talented & strong as the next one. But there are different lanes to make that happen now. Mullen has taken advantage of it. I really think we will surprise people this year.

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Go on?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Auburn with a true freshman QB and lsu with a poor OC. If bamas QB or OC is a bust we have a great shot.

13. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think there are plenty of reasons to THINK the D will be better

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    When do you think he earned that nickname?The only one who can bury that card is Grantham himself.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The good offenses eat defenses even in th playoffs. It’s just the game today. Rules are different.

16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    You don't think clemson and Ohio St had good offenses this past season?

17. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Stat of the game: 3rd down conversions, otherwise, keep track of TDs.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Osu’s offense didn’t do nearly as well as our offense did against Bama. 52-24. By the score, It doesn’t look like their defense faired any better either.
    LSU, same thing the year before, they went through every defense like butter.
    Clemson and Osu had good offenses last year ,not great. And not nearly as good as LSU 19, bama/florida20.

19. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Love it!
    What is 10-6 & 0-5 vs 5-0?
    Lost me there!
    The 1967 Super Bowl was in January for the 66 Season and the Packers beat the Chiefs.
    I think you are referring to the 1969 Super Bowl when the Jets beat the Colts?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    You said good offenses eat defenses in the playoffs. You said clemson and osu had good offenses. But they didn't eat last year.