Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Akheem Dent really likes Mullen

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, May 4, 2018.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The puppies aren’t exactly MSU.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Zook did some great recruiting and Grossman should have won a heisman under him. Bad game day coach but the roster was ripe for Urban. No rebuild in roster or brand was necessary. Huge difference.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ugh! Grossman was absolutely robbed. That was really upsetting to me. He's one of my favorite gators and he deserved it over Eric crouch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    What always got me was for how deserving Grossman was, crouch was equally less impressive. It wasn't like they were even comparable and they just gave it to the senior

5. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yup. I just read an article from bleacher report comparing rex, crouch and Dorsey as the 3 most deserving candidates. While crouchs passing stats were close to miserable he did rush for 1100 yards. He had an awful game against Colorado and a pitiful game vs Miami.

That year We lost an auburn team we shouldn't have but I don't think rex played poorly. And then there was Dockett-gate. I can't recall if rex played well or not but when Graham was injured it really hurt us.

6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not true. The early signing period makes it likely that those committed to fsu and georgia will sign there. At this moment- and yes it is early- we are not recruiting well compared to the two teams we need to beat- fsu/georgia. You are right that staff needs to put something good on the field. Like most of us I have concerns over the two keys, QB and OL.

What's with our very highly paid DC- can he recruit or not? Same question for our OL coach. I realize each position coach is not likely the primary recruiter because of how territories are divided but they need to get going. OL is a glaring weakness on our roster that we should be very attractive. Oh well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Die, that's a very good question regarding Grantham and his recruiting ability.

Thus far in his short time at UF as the Primary recruiter he's responsible for;

4* LB Andrew Chatfield out of American heritage.

3* John Huggins out of Daytona

As a Secondary recruiter;
    4* Trey Dean out of GA

3* Jammal Abrams a LB out of Birmingham (commit)

According to 247 As a Primary or a Secondary recruiter he's responsible for ZERO 5* kids. He's also recruited many 4 stars to UGA.

I'd like to hear from one of our UGA posters. I looked back at recruiting classes from 1991-95 @ VT and for the most part most of the kids were 2 and 3*. They may have had 5 or 6 4* but I didn't take the time to look into who recruited them. (Too lazy)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Someone gets it.

9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Okay Dabo is not a great recruiter lol

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Absolutely!!!

11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Me too brother, early signing period changed everything. Getting a kid committed in March-June is not that early now. Cannot see how others can't realize this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Thank you Die!!! We need recruits to make that jump and soon. Don't want to wait until September. We lose in most cases to other SEC schools or FSU and Miami if we have to wait.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This is all true but until we show it on the field We will be fighting an uphill battle in recruiting. This year could be fairly tough but hopefully we pull in a few top guys.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank you for that acknowledgement. The main point I'm trying to make is that it's just as much about player development as it is about stars. Mullen AND Dabo did more with less and it led to kids of higher ranking taking notice later and the programs rising even more. We, coming off of a couple 4 win seasons in the last 5 years, are going to have a harder time getting those kids(4&5*s) to commit early let alone sign early. I completely agree that it only helps to have them sign early, but we're fighting an uphill battle. So all I guess I'm trying to say is let Mullen's product show before you expect a bunch of good players to commit early, because you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Now if we still aren't in 3 years I'd say you have a better point and reason to panic a little. All that being said, if we can recruit better than MSU was (And we are, have been and will continue to) we should have comparable or better results than they were getting in the SEC West. And if we can get back to top10-5 recruiting classes consistently we could very well be a year in and year out power again which we all want, and I think is feasible given some time.

15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I was being sarcastic.

16. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    So you're good with the #36 And #27 classes in the first 2 years from Mullen? Then having to take 30 guys just to crack the 10 spot?
    Nice, perfect logical sense.

17. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    What am I missing? Are 36 and 27 his first recruiting rankings from MSU? Just recruiting to UF gives him a 10 ranking spot head start on msu.

18. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Dabo's first classes. Him and Tito have been saying Mullen needs early signees and to recruit better like Dabo and Saban. I've been proving Dabo was not a good recruiter initially, but that he had to develop lesser talent first to attract the guys he is getting now. Page 3 of this thread has the rest of this stuff. Don't understand how they argue against hard facts, but whatever haters are gonna hate.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  19. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Got it. Thanks man.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Whats infuriating is that one of the "claims" of giving Grossman the Heisman was "because he was too young", yet giving freshmen the Heisman has become a common occurance today.

Even Tebow was robbed of a second Heisman by biased voting practices imo.

UF could easily have five Heismans in its trophy case today.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1