Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Akheem Dent really likes Mullen

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, May 4, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Title of thread says Meyer, not Mullen???? Edit??? Link suggests still very happy at FSU

3. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    We need to make him more comfortable in Gainesville.

4. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    We have several DBs we're in on, I'm not too worried about him one way or the other. Where we are having trouble is DL and OL. We have a few on the radar, but they're ham-n-egger's mostly (i.e. 3-stars). We need some blue-chippers to pop up on the radar (and commit). I don't get Hunter wanting to go to UGA. They signed 5 DL's last year and they're in on pretty much any 4-star or better DL from the state of Georgia. He could be the marquee DL signee if he came to UF.

Anyhow, Dent looks solid but so do the other 10 DBs we're in on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I like the two 4* OL we currently have in our 2019 class.

6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    FYI - Dent’s older brother is a PWO at WR at FSU. Also believe that Dent spent most of his Spring Break at FSU with his brother and the team.

Read the article but think it would be helpful if it contained the questions Zack asked rather than just the answers.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Seems like the article was written by a pro-Gator writer and was slanted to give hope to Gator fans on a situation where there probably really isn’t any legitimate hope. Did I miss anything? Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Nole

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think there is a chance we land but we should up a fight even if his brother is a POW

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. G8tas

G8tas All American

Sep 22, 2008
    Consider the source. Zach has the thickest orange and blue glasses I have ever seen

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    When A. Dent committed last year, most serious FSU fans had an asterisk by his name since his level of “commitment” was a topic of conversation. Since the coaching change and his brother becoming a PWO, that has changed. I would not say it is a lock, but recruiting is all about relationships and having a sibling on the team is a huge advantage. A corollary would be Trey Sanders, his brother, and UF; not signed, sealed, and delivered but more than likely that is the end result. Parents want their kids to play together, to look out for each other, and to only have to attend one school’s games to see their kids play.

I’m not sure there is a worse job than providing recruiting updates on coaching visits after Spring Practice but before summer camps. Writers are told they need produce X many stories and make them interesting. I don’t fault Zack A. for having to feed the beast on this one since SEC Country is a free site and they have to produce content, like all other free sites.

I do think that the one positive thing to come out of Nike/UA camps is that on occasion you get to see videos of recruits responding to reporters when you also get to hear the reporter’s questions and see body language. I’ve noticed that sometimes you notice a difference between the interview and the write up that is substantial.

12. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    "At some point." lol that means he isn't coming here. I doubt he flips. We need some blue chip commits this summer or we will be in some trouble with the early signing period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    We need to look good on the field this fall. All this angst over recruiting this early is hilarious. Some people just like to worry. Even if it's over nothing.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Don't usually get many commits, if any, during the season. I have a feeling that most of the kids who will sign early will have their decisions made before their senior seasons start.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Tito,

Can I give you a major yes sir with! !!!

So many say they have to see what we do on the field… But you are absolutely right never never ever do I remember a year when We were having success on the field that equated to tons of recruits during the season… Well I shouldn't say never but not in the last 10 years.

Now through August we have to pick up 4-5 major commitments. Those are the type of things that get the train rolling as these kids recruit for us and other kids see that people are getting on the gator train. Not often that we are able to close the last 2 to 3 weeks. Through August we have to pick up 4-5 solid commitments to get the gator train rolling. Even when we are able to close strong like we did two years ago it is not a position we want to be in. Not going to see a 11 or 12 win season so not sure what people are looking for or thinking. Jones not enough for train to bevat full speed. Sanders would accelerate it greatly.

Sanders may be an anomaly due to his bro, but other big timers.....well, let's just say we need to close on some of them and close in the next 12 to 14 weeks. Also tired of hearing the relationship thing as it did not take Kirby two years Heck, people were still making that excuse for Mac even into his third year. Ridiculous.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Georgia has no competition in State. Tech is not competitive for GA talent. Everyone grew up a Bulldog fan. UF has FSU and Miami, and other up and coming programs like UCF and USF

Right was also always a good recruiter. UGA was left in much better shape than Mac left Mullen

Kirby is a UGA grad. Bama closer to Georgia than MSU is to Gville.

Give Mullen time. He will deliver for us, but needs a better QB

17. fl_champ

fl_champ Premium Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Statesboro, GA

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kirby recruited the same kids he was on at Bama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fl_champ

fl_champ Premium Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Statesboro, GA
    @Tito22 you can disagree all you want be doesn’t change the facts. You can’t compare Mullen and Kirby situation, they’re not even remotely the same.

Kirby:

Just won 4 National Championships and SEC championships as the DC at Alabama.

A majority of the Kids he recruited and signed his first year he had a long standing relationship with them bc he was recruiting them at Alabama.

Georgia’s Record before Kirby:

2015: 10-3
    2014: 10-3
    2013: 8-5
    2012: 12-2
    2011: 10-4
    2010: 6-7

Mullen:

Never won a National Championship or a SEC Championship at MSU.

The majority of Recruits he is recruiting now ethier he didn’t recruit or the recruits didn’t give him a chance because it was MSU while at MSU.

Florida record before Mullen:

2017: 4-7
    2016: 9-4
    2015: 10-4
    2014: 7-5
    2013: 4-8
    2012: 11-2

With 2 head coach changes.

Like I said, not even close to the same thing, hence why they have different results in recruiting in the first full year of recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    So why did Urban and Muschamp recruit well in their first full season? They weren't even coaching in the SEC while Mullen was. I'm not critical of Mullen yet, I'm just saying if we end this summer without some blue chip commits we are going to have a less than impressive early signing period. That doesn't bode well for our future.

• Winner Winner x 1