Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AirBnB in Madrid?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by fubar1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Anyone here have any recommendations for a Madrid AirBnB? Four guys going to Spain/Portugal in June....mostly in our late 30's (except me)....want to be in the center of everything.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    How was your AirBnB experience outside the US?

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Headed to Madrid for a couple of days next June as part of our family vacation. People tell me that Barcelona is much better if we only have 3 or 4 days to spend in Spain..thoughts??

• Like Like x 1
  4. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Definitely hit and miss. If you’re traveling Europe in the Summer, the number one thing I’d make sure you filter for on the AirBnB website before you book is A/C. Most European apartments don’t have it.

Make sure you understand the sleeping arrangements as well, like how many actual separate beds there are (vs bunk beds or pull out couches). And many Euro beds just flat out suck. Either hard as a rock or very little support so you sink way down in the middle.

Just pay attention to the reviews and remember anything you pick up on that seems slightly negative...multiply it’s impact by ten. People are just too nice when they write reviews after the fact.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Been to both but it was nearly 30 years ago. I remember enjoying Barcelona over Madrid. Perhaps because we had a memorable blast on the ramblas

6. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just went to Madrid for 3 days but didn’t get to Barcelona. We did Madrid, Santiago de Compostella, then headed to Porto and Lisbon in Portugal, and then back to Spain to see Sevilla, Granada and Córdoba.
    Sevilla is my 2nd favorite city in Europe after spending 2 days there. Beautiful place.

I did like Madrid...more from a historical perspective. I’ve heard Barcelona is more lively and it appears more to a younger crowd, but I did enjoy my time in Madrid. Just get ready for ham. Lots and lots of ham.

7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Did you have a Francesinha and Ginjinha?