Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Air printer question (hp 4100 series)

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatorr4life, Feb 6, 2021.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life -WE ARE THE BOYS- Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The last two printers I set up did the same thing. I can’t print wirelessly unless my iPad is linked to the printer. But to do that, I have to get off the router WiFi and then connect the iPad and printer. I know this is elementary level electronics but I’m stumped. How do I keep my iPad connected to the internet AND the printer, simultaneously?

I shouldn’t have to keep reconnecting every time I find something I want to print!

My printer is a simple hp 4100 series

TIA

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    You certainly should print to the printer from your iPad if both are on the same network. It is not clear from your post that your printer is on the Wi-Fi network connected to the Internet. It isn't clear what you "connect the iPad and printer."

I assume that you have done the setup operations but here are a couple of links from the HP site that might help:

HP Printers - Printing with Apple AirPrint (iOS)

Easily print from your smartphone or tablet

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I agree with @LakeGator , It doesn't sound like all devices are on the same network.

What I would do is print out the network setup page on the HP Printer. You should be able to do this pretty easily from the on screen menu. Check to see if DHCP/Autoconfiguration is turned on. If it is, and it shows that you have an IP address starting with 169.254.x.x, that means you are not getting an IP address from your DHCP server (which is most likely built into your ISP equipment) which most likely would mean that your printer is not on your local network.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    P.S. Just printing diagnostic pages will not change anything, so I wouldn't worry about messing anything up.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gatorr4life

Apr 3, 2007
    Will try this tomorrow, thx!

6. gatorr4life

Apr 3, 2007
    I got it all set up properly and now the damn thing won’t grab the paper. I hate printers. $100 and won’t grab the paper.

7. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Good to hear about the setup. And I also feel your pain about printers. After moving up from the Helpdesk years ago, printers are one thing I did not miss!

The most common cause of paper jams or not picking up paper in my experiences was most often due to the paper itself. Either there was too much paper in the tray or the paper was old and/or damp. I made a habit of fanning the paper before I put some in the tray, it may or may not help, but it doesn't hurt. If your paper is old, try some new, fresh paper.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    @ValdostaGatorFan gives excellent advice. The paper is quite often the reason for feed issues but there can be debris in the printer, as well. In addition to the paper being too damp paper that is too dry can cause it. That is certainly rare in Florida, of course.

This HP support video might give you some help. It shows what you can do beyond the paper issues.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2