Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ahmad Black Coaching at Mulberry High

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, May 24, 2021.

1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Like Like x 7
  2. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Glad to hear he’s in a position to influence our youth.
    I’m a little curious... in order to coach do you have to be a teacher? I’m sure you have to have a 4yr degree?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

The 2006 Lakeland High Dreadnaughts won the Florida Class 5A State Football Championship and the mythical U S High School National Championship that year. Ahmad and teammates Mike and Maurkice Pouncey and Chris Rainey all signed with the Gators.
    The rest is history.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ExSS99

ExSS99 Freshman

Oct 21, 2015
    On a boat
    In polk county you dont neccesarily have to be a teacher to be a football coach, nor do you have to have a 4yr degree (you do have to have a 4yr degree to be a PE teacher "coach") Most principals prefer to make full time teachers... coaches, but it's not required. Ahmad Black is one of my favorite Gators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Ahmad played so much bigger than his size.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Loved his interception in the 2008 NC game. The stunned look on Bradford's face just not being able to comprehend what just happened!

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    That play probably was the deciding factor in the game...if the OU receiver completes the reception they are in at least field goal range to tie and they might even score a td to go ahead.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    That was a fantastic play. Look at Bradford's face after the interception. He made that face a lot during that game. He looks like he was expecting a blind date with a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader but instead the Wicked Witch of the East came strolling down the stairs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. David Soderquist

David Soderquist Media Personality and Analyst VIP Member

Apr 20, 2021

I am really happy for Ahmad. I know he had a stint on Stadium and Gale and left the pod in pursuit of other goals and come to find out this is one of them! Congrats to Ahmad! Can't wait to see how he does at Mulberry

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I consider this the single-most exciting play I've ever seen in person. That interception sealed the deal on that national championship game, and, it was pure will that took the ball away; it should have been the catch that set up the winning score for them... instead it locked in our win. Black has also been a true lifelong Gator supporter since then, so I wish him the best at his new position. Maybe he'll work his way up to the college coaching ranks and we'll see him in orange and blue again some day.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Very Smart, heady player. I always knew he'd find the ball. Teako Brown was the same way....just could hunt down a pass.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It wasn't will that took the ball away--it was perfect timing. The receiver turned the ball loose for a split second to readjust his grip on the ball (and the ball was only a fraction of an inch away from his hands), and Black swooped in there and took it away. One of the best INT's I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. swamp tang

swamp tang Senior

Oct 13, 2017
    The most unfortunate thing about Black taking that coaching role is that Nick De la Torre took his place on Stadium & Gale Podcast, lol. IMO Nick sux on podcasts! He ruined Spivey’s old podcast for me.

14. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    AB's wife & family are moving back to Lakeland.. His wife is a teacher.. Great to have him back home...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm pretty sure he was a substitute teacher for the last few years. At least up till he started the podcast stadium and gale with Silkk. I remember Fsu fans trying to roast him on Twitter because he was a substitute teacher. Only FSU fans would roast someone for wanting to help our youth achieve higher learning.

• Like Like x 1