Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

After new document is revealed, Warren struggles with questions of identity

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philobeddoe, Feb 7, 2019.

1. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Oh boy ………….. Fauxcahontas been busted??!

After new document is revealed, Warren struggles with questions of identity

Elizabeth Warren was a law professor at the University of Texas when she filled out a form from the state bar that asked her to list her race. Her answer, printed in careful block letters: “American Indian.”

Thirty-three years later — and days before the official launch of her presidential run — that newly disclosed document has emerged as a political flash point, forcing Warren to reckon with a question that has been dogging her for years and that she has never put to rest: why, through much of her life and legal career, she claimed to be Native American despite being white.

By Wednesday, after the bar registration card was published by The Post, Warren faced new doubts about her viability in the presidential race, as activists and strategists evaluated how much damage the issue might do — especially given Democrats’ focus on finding a candidate who can defeat President Trump — and what she might do to move past it.

Liberal activists have long described cultural appropriation as hurtful, since someone is assuming the identity of a group without having faced the suffering or discrimination that group endured. The question is whether Democratic primary voters will punish Warren for actions for which she has apologized.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Seems like she was using affirmative action to game the system. I don’t think she was gonna get far in the primaries regardless but this should seal the deal.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    This will probably not be the only document to surface where she claimed Native American ethnicity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    She gonl.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    I also heard she claimed to jaywalk a couple of times.
    The feigned outrage over this is ridiculous.
    It's not like she was unqualified for the positions she was hired for. And to add she has said many times that she was told by her mother that she was part American Indian-- and hasn't a DNA test shown that she does have American Indian in her ancestry?
    I just don't see the story here but of course this is just as terrible as all the lies and deception our current leader engaged in to secure the presidency. :rolleyes:

If voters can look the other way on the laundry list of offenses that this guy in the oval office has pinned to him, how is this even an issue. And these folks whining and gnashing their teeth over this had no problem with the checkered past of a recently appointed Supreme Court justice.
    Give me a break.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. llm85

llm85 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    She was just ahead of the times in self-identifying. Nothing to see here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. philobeddoe

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, Liz is a Liberal Lawyer and therefore by nature struggles with speaking the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. philobeddoe

Apr 11, 2007
    Fauxcahontas Liz is, ostensibly, an educated legalistic. If anyone should know you don’t represent yourself as a recognized minority due special accommodation in housing, employment, etc without “substantive evidential matter” to clearly support that assertion ...... a trained lawyer should.

My paternal great grandmother was of white, Spanish, and Native/African American heritage. That would result in me being maybe 6% minority heritage. Given the difficulty encountered in finding birth records from “pioneer” Florida, I’m unable to clearly document that heritage...... and would never characterize myself as Hispanic-, Native-, African-, or some combination thereof ...... American.

Liz, knew she shouldn’t have considered herself to be Native American in any formal designation of race or heritage.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What she should do, to establish her authenticity, not as an Indian but as a good old red-blooded American, is swig from a bottle of beer while answering these questions.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. philobeddoe

Apr 11, 2007
    Lol ....:yeh .... an IPA, “‘Indian’ Pale(face) Ale”!
    :devil:

BTW ..... is “pale face” a derogatory term when used to describe a white American?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't think she had a realistic shot at the presidency anyway. However, she was able to show a teeny bit of American Indian ancestry according to a DNA test. IMO, she tried to use the possibility of NA blood as an affirmative action advantage. According to those same DNA tests I am 1 - 3% North African. I have never considered checking anything other than Caucasian though cause I'm a white boy. Feel me?

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Its a registration card, it really confers no advantage. Its like marking a census form.

13. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Maybe you have it backwards-that the registration card was being consistent with an advantage that had already been conferred upon her, like in her law school admission or on her bar exam?

She's toast. As harmless as it may seem, being dishonest about who or what you are is disqualifying. I never liked her much, less so now that she's doubled down with her 23 and me nonsense.

Perhaps she can have a beer with George O'Leary now that he's retired?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    So, to you this is akin to jaywalking. got it.

I cannot speak for others, but my outrage in not feigned in the least.

The argument that she was qualified for the positions is embarrassing. Many qualified people get turned down for positions for internships, jobs, residencies & acceptance to colleges, etc. One of the reasons they ask things like race is to decide how to fill a few spots when they have a large # of QUALIFIED applicants.

I don't think it wise to use Trump as your moral rudder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    There’s nothing to struggle with. She’s a white lady. She was born a white lady, and she’s going to die a white lady. That might not be as exotic or romantic as lying to yourself about belonging to this precolumbian tribe or that. But there’s also nothing wrong with being a white lady, so she might as well embrace it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Whether you think it is a big deal or not, or whether it is a big deal or not, is not the really what matters. The Republicans would make it a big deal and it would be the biggest talking point against her if she makes it very far. Politics is just finding whatever you can negative about your opponent and making it as big a negative as possible. Emails for Clinton, Allepo for Gary Johnson. She is un-runnable at this point, imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    As usual I was at a Gymnastics meet on Sunday. During awards we got Savannah, Emma, Audrey, Olivia, Deerkiller, Ella, Caroline....maybe she's lizzies granddaughter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Pretty amazing that this would rule her out, but this barely registered:

Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father

I wont pretend to understand the stupidity of our politics. I think there's a way she could get past it (portray the attacks as a conspiracy against her because she wants to take on Wall St and banks), but I don't think she's the type of person to do it. She'd do something like try to use reason to explain why she did it, just like she tried to 'prove' she was NA in ancestry by taking a test.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
  20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    At this point I just picture Republicans as chanting for Mexico to pay for a Wall at pep rallies. I'm sure Trump, Rush and Fox would just harp on it every chance they got and it probably convinces 50% of voters she is unfit for the position. I think Dems need to push a candidate with almost zero warts. I've never voted Dem for president but I would at that point. Maybe I'm just self projecting though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1