Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

After 7 Days in ICU, Chris Christie Says to Take COVID Seriously, Wear Masks, Admits He was Wrong

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Oct 15, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Chris Christie says he was in ICU for 7 days battling Covid-19, urges Americans to wear masks

"No one should be happy to get the virus and no one should be cavalier about being infected or infecting others," Christie said. "It is something to take very seriously. The ramifications are wildly random and potentially deadly."

"When you have seven days in isolation in an ICU though, you have time to do a lot of thinking," Christie said, advocating that people "follow CDC guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others."

"Every public official, regardless of party or position, should advocate for every American to wear a mask in public, appropriately socially distance and to wash your hands frequently every day. At the same time, we should be reopening in every corner of this nation under these guidelines," Christie said.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Hopefully he gets past this. At least somebody tells the truth Mr. President....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    At least he admitted he was wrong

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    He clicks all the risk boxes so he probably was pretty sick. My problem is, has been, and always will be the one size fits all solution approach to a solution.

I know 4 people who have had it. Three were from the same family. Only one of them got really sick and the 18 year old would never have even known he had if not for a screening test after vacation so he could go back to work.

5. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Yes, there are many positive cases that resolve quickly however, almost 1 in 30 of all positive cases die. Lousy odds to be cavalier and mask free in public. Those odds are worse for those with underlying conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Does he have any health advice on obesity?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There are also people who have had their family practically wiped out with multiple deaths, but of course death isn’t the only negative outcome, don’t think anyone wants to spend 7 days in an ICU, let alone 14 or 30 days in more serious cases. We don’t hear about or count those people so much, mostly the focus is on the deaths which are approaching 220k.

That’s actually the biggest problem with this, many people are asymptomatic including some older people. But then others get severe symptoms.

Maybe that’s the way the flu works too, but I’d never heard of “asymptomatic spread” of a virus before COVID. I always thought if you caught the flu you would at least know it. This virus is very different in that regard.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The disease is very infectious. The danger is that individuals who are asymptomatic, presymptomatic or have minor or moderate symptoms can infect those who are more vulnerable and although very rare, even individuals that do not have any risk factors can experience serious or even fatal infections.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Does Trump?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Good for him. I hope him and his family remain healthy.

11. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump is also obese but I commented on Christie because this is a thread about Christie’s health.

12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Not one word from Trump while Christie was hospitalized along the lines of, "get well soon."

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    RINO! :D

14. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    They run him through the Willy Wonka juicer while he was in?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    You mean you personally jabbed about Christie. Please, spare us your disingenuity about pretending to make relevant comment in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Most do survive and many with few if any symptoms. But that's the exact reason wearing masks in public is important. The masking is to protect others, not you. Your friend's 18 year old could have easily and very unknowingly infected others, perhaps some who would be affected much more severely than he was, if he was out and about without a mask, not realizing that he was infected himself.

I understand arguments against shutting things down, or arguments about how much to limit crowds, etc., I can see how the extent and timing of those things can be fairly debatable - even the cost/benefit arguments. But wearing a mask is such a minor inconvenience and seems well worth it to try to help protect our fellow citizens.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Your own story just made the point for the "one size fits all - oh, by the way this is a pandemic of a novel virus borne disease" approach. The 18 year old in your story was asymptomatic I take it. Which means he/she had the potential to infect people around him/her. It every that person would wear a mask 100% of the time out side the house, the likelihood of him/her inadvertently infecting others drops dramatically. Thus....they one size fits all approach.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Just staggering that it requires a 7 day ICU stay for, what I assume, is an average to above average intelligence human being to understand that practicing a few easy behaviors would dramatically reduce the likelihood of anyone having to suffer in ICU for a week. The willful ignorance among a segment of this population is beyond confounding.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I made a joke about Christie's obesity that was tangentially related because it was a thread about his health. Is Chris Christie's weight a touchy subject with you? It seems to have angered you.

20. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I know a guy that's been in ICU for going on 8 weeks now. Was in a medically induced coma for 4 weeks. Overweight, not morbidly, otherwise healthy 48yo. Could write a book on this saga. He's still not out of the woods.

They're pretty wealthy so can absorb this. But damn. I can't imagine what that bill will be.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1