Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

After 11/30/20 You Won't Have Dooley To Kick Around anymore ++

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Nov 18, 2020.

1. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    We all eventually get to that point. I'm only 43 and sometimes I'm ready to walk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr GC Legend

Aug 17, 2011
    We did let them come back, though of course we also had something like 4 OL starters out by that point in ‘96.

3. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    I thought his information was always good and his writing was well done - I just didn't like how he went out of his way to 'not be a homer', and complained a lot about how it was sooo tough with the hotels and flights and such - I mean, you get PAID to cover you favorite sports team - witnessing multiple national titles in Football, Basketball and then Baseball - c'mon, that's a dream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Does he get a Heisman vote?

5. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Sorry to see him go. It wasn't Pulitzer stuff, but Pat had an authentic voice and I do disagree with those who say he was mailing it in. Even though he didn't seem to break much in recent times.

Doubt we're in for an upgrade at Firewall Central. Please not 'Lil Mikey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Yes has for years

• Like Like x 1
  7. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Zack would be awesome. From your lips to God’s ears.

8. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    What about if he leaves? I know it’s a quick Google search but I don’t know the exact date they vote....and if this would play into it. Normally we play FSU Thanksgiving weekend. So should put the vote in December sometime. Looks to me that we may lose 1 vote there

9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    He doesn't lose his vote because he no longer works for the paper.
    Dooley was awarded the vote, not the paper. The vote goes with him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That’s pretty special. You gotta do your job pretty well to earn that privilege. Good for Pat

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Meh.

12. dudeman

dudeman Junior

Oct 11, 2020
    I'm not sure about Bianchi's years at the Sun, as he was transparent to me. He was horrible and I'm amazed that he has a career in journalism. Sadly, not only is he a UF alum, he's in the journalism hall of fame at UF. The more I see, the easier it is to understand why that field garners so little respect. He has no acumen for sports, and his writing is not informative or clever. Back during the Spurrier years, I almost never read anything he wrote because it was worthless drivel. He tried to be the story rather than write about the story. I have no time for narcissists like Bianchi.

But, Dooley has been at the Sun for a really long time. From their website: "Pat Dooley has been at The Gainesville Sun since 1987 and has been the sports columnist since 1994. He takes credit for all of the national titles won by Florida since then." Hairston left in 1991. He continued to cover UF athletics afterwards and spent about 50 years in total, covering UF athletics. I was under the impression that Dooley took over for him. Maybe it was Bianchi. I wouldn't be surprised if Bianchi orchestrated the Hairston departure.

13. dudeman

dudeman Junior

Oct 11, 2020
    Offense was better with Peace, his QBR was a bit higher, and Hewko had a bad habit of making bad decisions at crucial times and throwing pics, IIRC. Seemed he never made a full recovery after getting injured and so Peace kept the job for the most part. Also, I think Peace was a much better runner.

14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The Picks: Who knows what to believe?
    Pat Dooley Gvl Sun Gator Sports
    It's been difficult to know what is good and what is bad this season. This ... is 2020, after all.
    We may be at the point where a good defense is what a bad one would have been two years ago. A quarterback who only has accounted for 17 touchdowns and had his team vying for an College Football Playoff spot is considered OK and certainly not Heisman Trophy material (see: Ian Book, Notre Dame).

We are about to find out next week what the CFP committee thinks is good, bad or meh. The first rankings will include teams all over the map in terms of how many games they have played.
    We know that the SEC has become a place where defenses go to di (Alabama is 48th in the country with five-star defenders everywhere) and if your offense can only score in the 30s, you probably will be hoping to make a minor bowl.
    And here we are in late November and we still don't know who will be playing who in early December. Schedules in this season of adjustments are written in invisible ink. We only know who is scheduled to play Saturday and what it might look like next week.

The team that leads the country in total defense has played two games. The team that is second in turnover margin has played one.

What we thought was bad enough to get fired as a head coach still is, but not everywhere. Ay-yay-yay. It's all so confusing.
    We do know that Dr. Football was good last week. The 9-1 record was only sullied by the pick of Michigan over Wisconsin. Dang it. And on my birthday, too.
    Overall, that brings the record to 59-21 for the year, which should get me a contract extension and a big raise. But as we know, things don't always work out. On to this week:
    Florida at Vanderbilt: I remember covering a Gator game in Nashville in 1998 and there were almost no fans there. That will seem like a wild crowd compared to this one. That crowd was because of apathy, which still exists at Vandy. Add in restrictions because of the virus and you may hear crickets chirping Saturday. Florida 48-20.
    Tennessee at Auburn: So the question I have is whether or not Jeremy Pruitt is really in trouble or whether fans and media just perceive that he is. Three of his last four games are against ranked teams so 3-7 is not out of the question. And most of his assistant coaches refused to take pay cuts, which sounds like they are squirreling away their money. Auburn, 34-23.
    Indiana at Ohio State:
    The Indiana story has been a great one and I'm sure the Hoosiers are thrilled they came back to play so they could enjoy this. Saturday's game, not so much. Ohio State, 48-23.
    Oklahoma State at Oklahoma:
    Is it still Bedlam with a limited crowd? Hey, Bedlam is a state of mind. Did you know that the term comes from the rivalry the two schools had in wrestling? Me neither, but that's why there is Wikipedia. Oklahoma, 50-45.
    Wisconsin at Northwestern:
    Sorry, Wisconsin about not picking you last week. My bad. It won't happen again. I ate a block of cheese as punishment. Wisconsin, 69-3.
    LSU at Arkansas:
    More evidence about how things can change in a hurry has been offered up this week because LSU was a 44-point favorite a year ago in this game and the Fightin' Feleipes are two-point favorites this week. LSU, 44-32.
    Kentucky at Alabama:
    Here's a stat for you — Kentucky is ranked eight spots higher than Alabama in total defense this season. Yeah, I know. I was just trying to give the Wildcats some hope. Alabama, 42-17.
    Missouri at South Carolina:
    The last time Will Muschamp got fired as a head coach, his team went out and won 52-3. Of course, that was Florida beating Eastern Kentucky. Missouri is a little better and it's pretty clear from the opt-outs this week the Gamecocks are done. Mizzou, 31-21.
    Miss. St. at Georgia:
    If JT Daniels in his first start goes out and lights up a pretty good Mississippi State defense (third in the SEC), Georgia fans are going to wonder what in the name of UGA's ghost took Kirby Smart so long to pull the trigger. If he is as mediocre as the quarterbacks who started before him, Georgia fans are going to winder what quarterbacks are in the transfer portal. Georgia, 34-19.
    Clemson at FSU:
    Wait, wait. Hold on here. You have a big game in Cincy vs. UCF and you're picking a game with a 30-point spread? Hey, it's my column and I want to finish with a gaudy record. Clemson, 52-20.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Dooley Announces his Retirement and previews Gators game against Vandy
    Pat Dooley
    The Gainesville Sun
    In this historic episode of the Dooley Noted podcast Pat Dooley announces his retirement from the Gainesville Sun. Dooley, the long time sports columnist with the Gainesville Sun, will talk with Adam Sparks, the Vanderbilt beat writer for the Tennessean newspaper about the Florida Gators upcoming game against Vanderbilt. Dooley also talks about the Gators needing to stay focused, could be a career day for Trask, The Spreads, and of course Three Things.
    Breakdown:
    0:30 Dooley announces his retirement from the Gainesville Sun
    1:20 The schedule for the last two podcasts
    2:30 Dooley talks about why he has decided to retire now
    9:20 Lets Talk about the Gators playing Vanderbilt
    10:50 Vandy is not that good, Florida should get a win
    11:45 Vandy defense has not created turnovers
    13:40 The crowd will not be a factor
    14:30 Trask could rack up the TD’s this week
    16:50 The best thing for Dooley about being at the Sun all these years
    18:30 The weather will be great for kickoff, but be focused
    18:50 Vandy QB is not that bad, but the team…….
    20:15 Florida has to show up
    21:10 Interview with Adam Sparks, the Vanderbilt beat writer for the Tennessean newspaper
    34:00 This week is a go, but who know how many games we will get
    37:00 The Spreads
    44:00 Three Things

Do you want to hear an old episode of the Dooley Noted podcast? Click the link below to visit the show page.

Dooley Noted clips - Omny.fm

Dooley Announces his Retirement and previews Gators game against Vandy

16. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bianchi

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I like Dooley ok, but have also argued that his columns over the last several years have felt lazy. I think he's a fine sports writer with a readable, easy going style. He's not flashy or amazingly inciteful, but he also isn't obnoxious or a shameless self promoter. We may miss his columns based on who comes next.

But the lazy epithet for me comes from how much writing about himself he does. Whether it's the ubiquitous musical playlist or the continual insertion of his day/feelings/annoyances, so much of what he's done over the past decade reads like padding and filler. Something seemed to happen over or around the Muschamp era--one he defended overtly and pretty strenuously until the firing--where his columns took on a "meh, whatever" sort of quality. There are worse things, like Bianchi style provocateurs, but instead of adding some richness and color for those of us out of the area, his work read very light and almost off handed. It was better than a poke in the eye for sure, but rarely added much.

18. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    And keep their music picks to themselves.

• Like Like x 1