Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Afganistan / What Now?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Aug 12, 2021.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Guys we all need to stop blaming Trump. Biden himself says the buck stops with him. His ADs while running for president said the buck stops with him. That he would take the responsibility of making decisions that affect all of us. So even Biden knows and admits… the buck stops with him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Both of them share the blame. DT set the stage and Biden followed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  4. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Please link where anyone has said that. I’d be interested in swing it.
    Most I have talk to are upset at HIW we left… unprepared and unwillingly to listen to intel…verses the fact that we want out or need to get out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I have an idea...let's invade them and use force to make them more respectful.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    i have seen numerous posts in the last 50 pages on similar topics. Why are people posting it? It’s not informational. Of course most people won’t admit it

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Why would people stay who the government told to leave? Makes no sense. Especially given the realities that people must have been aware of who were there. Obviously, the government could not have given them the security assessment.

8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What is so sad about this thread is that it just lines up with political points of view. On the right, Biden should have repudiated the peace agreement and added troops, either as a deterrent to the Taliban (meaning back to war) or until people (who apparently didn’t leave when told to) had been gotten out of there. Except that the former, and maybe the latter, meant more war. But nobody has any strategic assessment. They just ignore the questions. I am done until somebody explains how we were going to go to war against the Taliban again given the Trump drawdown. Because it is evident to me that this isn’t about realistic options on Afghanistan, but about the opportunity to attack Biden. Btw: the ongoing evacuation is not done. We added troops to accomplish it with the agreement of the Taliban.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  10. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So no link? Ok.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    No.

Trump would have left the military in until everyone got out safe.

That's the problem with how Biden did this. And we are seeing the consequences.

On top of all this - he's still trying to deflect responsibility. Says the buck stops here but then goes on to lie about his involvement in the chaos. You can't have it both ways - just own it, Joe.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    you’re literally on the thread just scroll back through.

13. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    hahahaha
    Suuuuuure

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You do realize that it was Trump that drew down troops to 2500, basically the enrollment of a suburban high school in this country, right?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You cannot possibly be serious. Trump had already ordered the draw down to 2500 and wanted the “surprise!” of having us 100% out before the election. To even get the date to May was a compromise to appease Trump. These are all documented facts.

Nothing would have been different, but I guess the “surprise” pullout avoids the scene of desperate civilians flooding the airport. At least if they could do it before word got out. Hardly a given if you are trying to move 60,000 or 100,000 SIV’s out, eventually word gets out that things are moving. It seems likely Trumps path would have simply abandoned them 100%.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Trump Is Said to Be Preparing to Withdraw Troops From Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia

"Mr. Trump said in a Twitter post last month that he wanted all 4,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan home by Christmas, but top military and national security aides advised against such a precipitous withdrawal. The president eventually agreed to the smaller drawdown, officials said."

Trump was pushing hard to get them all out last year. He has to be talked out of it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So he listened to his top military advisers and aides?
    I hated trump as president… he made all kinds of mistakes
    But Biden could have and should have slowed this down and Mae sure we could withdraw our troops correctly. Even his military advisors where telling him to back off and prolong it. He should have listened.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    He did prolong it. From May, which was Trump's plan.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Very true. Agreed. But he didn’t listen to his advisors, he did not make sure we were prepared to withdraw completely, and he did not ensure the safety of our personal, allies, and civilian contractors. It would seem the postponement was not used for Stratic enhancement as far as getting out of Afghanistan.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They started drawing down personnel for a long period of time and told everybody who wasn't essential to get out of the country months ago. It is difficult to tell essential civilian personnel that they need to get out of the country before the troops, given that they are often essential because their role is needed by the troops.