Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Adjustments that will lead to SECT and NCAAT success

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matthanuf06, Feb 22, 2020.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Press? Yeah with our lack of quickness, length and a rim protector at the back end, the press is a great idea.

Crazy deep rotation? Our back up point guard has a 1:2 assist to turnover ratio and can’t shoot. Our back-up bigs are true FR, one of which isn’t ready to play at this level yet. So that leaves our starting five with Payne and Mann off the bench. Yeah, that’s crazy deep.

And speaking of point, play Nembhard less? Yeah try that against LSU this week. Remember last time we played the Tigers and each time Glover would try to bring the ball up court, LSU’s guards would turn the kid over pretty much each possession. Nembhard has his weaknesses but right now he is by far, our best option at point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    The point is if you distill it to “have to make shots” then coaching and talent doesn’t matter. Basketball isn’t a free throw shooting contest where each team shoots the same number.

If we, on average, shoot worse than another team then they have a better combination of talent and coaching than we do. Anything can happen in an individual game, but once the sample size gets large then the data speaks for itself

3. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    And if our opponents hit their shots... we’d have zero wins.

4. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    It’s the difference between the first and second units. Our first unit isn’t elite and the drop off isn’t huge. Keyontae is the only one with a huge drop off

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    I think you are contradicting yourself. You said:

"if you distill it to “have to make shots” then coaching and talent doesn’t matter."

"If we, on average, shoot worse than another team then they have a better combination of talent and coaching than we do."

How can you say that talent and coaching doesn't matter when it comes to making shots, but then turn around and say that a team that shoots better has better talent and coaching then their opponent? o_O

6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Well, that is the whole point. The team who hits their shots wins. I think that's fairly obvious.

7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

"On average" we've been around Top 30 in the nation in KenPom offensive efficiency and lead the SEC in 3-point percentage in league play. Maybe that indicates the offense isn't as bad as you perceive it to be.

It would be interesting to see stats that show our offensive droughts last longer than most other teams that we compete with, but I would still think game-long averages are more indicative of our play than a specific slice of data like "length of scoring droughts."

If the droughts generally happened at the end of games (like some of Donovan's teams were criticized for having), I think it would be a more concerning issue. It would indicate an inability to close at crunch time. But, our droughts seem to be pretty sporadic in terms of when they happen in the games. And, that's just my perception - I've got no stats to back that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Glover played 8 minutes against LSU. He had 3 turnovers and scored 4 points. Mann played 9 minutes and was scoreless. For the season, Glover is making over 53% of his 2’s but only 24% of his 3s. On a per 40-minute basis, he is averaging 14.2 ppg. Nembhard is shooting 52.2% on 2s and 29% on 3s. On a per 40-minute basis, Nembhard is averaging 14.0 ppg. Glover is a better on-ball defender. Nembhard does a good job at anticipating and stealing passes. Except for the ballhandling, Glover has been comparable to Nembhard. However, Glover has had only one opportunity to get significant minutes at the point. That was against Vandy. As I have previously pointed out, Glover had a +29 game against Vandy and Nembhard had a -12. So, maybe Glover does deserve more of a chance at the point, although he is not going to get it unless Nembhard is in foul trouble or otherwise isn’t playing.

As for our lack of quickness, Glover, Lewis, Payne, Mann and KJ are all quick to varying degrees and Nembhard has good defensive anticipation. Payne also is a rim protector. Plus, the team is deeper than you say. Hlover has had a better year than Mann, so why is Mann in the rotation and not Glover.

Bottom line is that I am disagreeing with much of what you said. I believe in an uptempo game and using your bench, and I believe that these players are talented enough to do it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    A&M tried to put 3/4 court pressure on UK in the early going of their game in College Station. UK put up 17 points by the 1st media timeout and is on pace for 100 points tonight.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

So, I did a quick review of the game with respect to positives from Nembhard's floor game against UK. These are passes that put teammates in good position to score, some resulting in assists. I didn't try to track any "hockey assists". For me, it supports what I thought watching the game live was a pretty good performance by him in the 2nd half with 6 assists and a number of other passes that could have been assists (which is normal for PGs to deal with - some more than others :rolleyes:).

(Note: didn't start noting game times until the 3rd play listed)

FIRST HALF

- Passed ahead to Locke for a good look at a 3-pointer: Lock missed.

- Pass to KJ in right wing. KJ drives to hoop for bucket.

16:15 - ASSIST: Pass to Blackshear for open 3-point shot.

11:13 - Pass to Blackshear for open 3-pointer: Blackshear missed

2:10 - Pass to Mann who hit step-back 3-pointer.

SECOND HALF

19:45 - ASSIST: Pass to Blackshear off P&R for layup.

17:58 - ASSIST: Fast break off turnover; hit Blackshear rolling to basket for layup.

17:35 - Pass to Locke for open 3-pointer: Locke missed

17:00 - Pass to KJ out top who was able to blow past man for layup.

16:20 - Off penetration, pass to Mann in right corner for open 3-pointer: Mann missed

16:00 - Pass to Blackshear up top for open 3-pointer: Blackshear missed

15:00 - ASSIST: Drive and dish to Blackshear for layup.

11:25 - Pass to KJ for open 3-pointer: KJ missed

7:00 - ASSIST: Pass to Mann for open 3-pointer.

2:09 - ASSIST: Alley-oop pass to KJ for dunk.

1:20 - ASSIST: Inbound pass to KJ for layup.

The boxscore linked after the game gave Nembhard 6 assists for the game, but I saw what I viewed as 7 definite assists.

11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

KJ is becoming an outstanding one-on-one scorer for us with his good outside shot and his ability to take usually bigger guys off the dribble and finish, particularly when they bite on an outside shot fake. I used to often often shake my head when he turned down too many good outside shots (for as good a shooter as he is). And, too often passing on an open look would turn into a drive and pass that got stolen. He's not much of a playmaker.

But, for much of our SEC schedule this year, he's finally being as aggressive as I think he should be - probably through encouragement from White.

For a large part of the 2nd half, UK was able to take away his drives to the hoop by playing off him more. And, his outside shot never got going in that game. It happens to the best of them.

12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Throw in, in the 2nd half, 2 missed shots, 2 turnovers, no baskets, and using up too much clock on offensive possessions.

13. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

But the reason why our players have been in that predicament is because the coaching staff coaches them to slow the pace down. The one shot that Locke made last night (which is his first in two games) came in an open flow no hesitation- shoot before they get there fashion.

I was at the game last night. When we push the ball and don’t allow defenses to get entrenched, we are hard to beat. When we come up the floor and there is no movement, no passing, no picks and no cutting, we go into long droughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Hopefully he is breaking out of a mini slump- one fg in two games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    For me Mann is a head scratcher. He is a 5 star player but for the game's I've watched I just don't see a 5 star player. He rarely makes a shot, not consistent at all and is prone to turn the ball over for the few minutes he plays. Am I missing something?

16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Hes got 5 star talent. No doubt I see that. But he seems stuck playing "hero ball." When he gets the ball he is predisposed to shoot it, whether it is a sub par 3 attempt or driving to the basket for a difficult shot. He needs to play more in the flow of the offense and get out of the AAU mindset.

17. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    When Mann enters the game he just seems to play..... "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"