Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Adjustments that will lead to SECT and NCAAT success

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matthanuf06, Feb 22, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    He's pretty short to be an NBA 3, and he's been playing the 4 here mostly.

3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    AN seems to get a lot of heat after many of what I consider to be his best games. Didn't he have at least half a dozen assists in the second half when UK's defensive intensity went up? o_O:confused:

That game was a good battle of heavyweights IMHO. Late game, it hurt that UK got that lucky three to bounce in, and that Blackshear turnover passing out of the corner was ugly. What was he thinking throwing that pass that didn't come close to getting past the UK defender on the sideline? :(

We did a good job of making it even a game after that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Agree, AN struggled shooting the ball but thought he did a good job of setting up KB for some good looks.

If we can continue to build on this performance going forward I think this bunch has a chance to make some noise. Think we may be finding somethings out on both ends.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think Lewis minutes should go to Mann. He is averaging 11 more than Mann. Lewis is outperforming Mann in many categories, but cannot create his shot the way Mann can. Nembhard is essential and can also create his shot off the dribble as can Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Think it depends on the matchup. If we really need a defender, I think Lewis has to get thise minutes. I'm annoyed at how many times our freshmen other than Lewis struggle to locate their men in man defense.

It's not complicated. You call it out when substitutions are made or at the FT line. But we still will leave guys wide open.

7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I posted a thread about Mann before I read this but it was the same thing I was thinking with regard to Lewis.

8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I agree but I think the only problem with that is Lewis gets his minutes at the 3, so if Nembhard and Locke are out there that leaves Mann guarding the the other team's 3, which is going to be a huge mismatch. Mann has earned more minutes but can you take them away from AN or Locke? Not really

9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I love them both and see so much potential in both, but our ultimate flaw is in taking ill advised shots late in the shot clock in a desperate effort to avoid a shot clock violation. Johnson should be playing 35 minutes a game and should be taking 16-17 shots a game. Mann is someone else who has no problem mixing it up in the paint. So having three of them out there along with Locke more often gives us a more versatile offense.

10. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It was a tough time for us to get such poor point production from the starting 1 and 2 guard spots. No time is a good one but this was a winnable game with average shooting from them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Lewis is an intense defender. That is undeniable. And he has more length which generally translates into more rebounds and more blocks. When we are in the middle of a lapse which for MW, should be declared after 2 minutes of not scoring a fg, the line up should go to Nembhard, Locke, Johnson and Locke.

12. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Lol, i'd be for cloning Noah. Imagine 2 shooters at 45% from 3.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Not if both of them go 0-5 from the floor like today.

14. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    NBA Draft Net has him 59 overall in the 2021 Draft. Interesting that Scottie Lewis is not even listed in the 2020 Draft. They have him as the last pick in the 1st round in the 2021 Draft (30th pick), followed by Mann (37th pick), Nembhard (43rd pick) and then KJ.

Personally, KJ looks like the best player on Florida and could see his stock going up next year. Think Mann's going to have a big Sophomore jump and Lewis would also but I really don't know what he'll do. Imo, he really needs to come back because I think word is out about his offensive game. I'd be shocked if Nembhard's back. Can see him in Europe or the G league next year.

15. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Why don't you find a new team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Yeah. Nothing from this game makes think "back to the drawing board." Keep moving forward with the improvement we've been seeing.

17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Exactly. If Nembhard and Locke shoot their at normal %, the Gators likely win @ Kentucky and Mike White looks like Phil Jackson. I've been saying it all season... the offense always looks good if the shots fall and looks bad if they don't. The point of running an offense is to get good shots. We had many good shots that just didn't go in. I'd say UK played good defense a few times forcing us into late in the shot clock heaves, but that was not the difference i the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Any offense looks good if the shots fall. During our usual 5-6 minute drought, Nembhard does his usual walk the ball up the floor, pass to one of the wings, get the return pass, and dribble around until about 8 seconds are left to get a shot off. That’s not offense, that’s just holding the ball until either you turn it over with a lazy pass or force a bad shot. Seen it countless times in the past five years and nothing has changed. The one player that was causing matchup issues for UK was Johnson and we ran zero isolation plays for him during our scoring drought. 10 plus losses a season is what you are gonna get with White. He could have an NBA all-Star team and it wouldn’t be any different. Only question now is how many more losses it will take for a change to be made.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Lewis plays extremely hard on defense but I wouldn’t say he plays great defense at all. He tries to play his man too close many times and this causes his man to get around him for a straight line to the bucket. Lewis then tries to use his athleticism to block the shot and usually gets the foul. As I feared, we haven’t ran an offense that would have showcased Lewis’ talent. Lewis would have thrived in a system that played up tempo. Most top players want to play in a fast paced offense. UK plays the dribble drive and fast break every opportunity they can but for some reason we get a steal or opportunity to run and we hold the ball and wait for Nembhard to get it so we can walk it up the floor after the defense gets set. Then we wonder why we go on scoring droughts. It’s the definition of insanity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    That's bullcrap. We did run an iso or spread floor situations for Johnson. He traveled once. We also got him the ball on the baseline. He drove baseline and turned it over. He also settled for 2 3's. Please stop making things up.

Johnson had a turnover with 16:25 left
    Missed 3 with 11:30 left and with 8:08 left
    Johnson had a turnover with 5:23 left (steal on the baseline drive)
    Johnson also had a turnover with 3:12 left (may have been the travel where his pivot foot slid)

I'm all for legit criticism but this nonsense that UF went away from Johnson just isn't true. He just didn't capitalize or make plays.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4