Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Adjustments that will lead to SECT and NCAAT success

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matthanuf06, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    More Mann, more Glover, less AN. More explosion and speed. Mann is coming into his own

End the Blackshear stretch experiment. Yes we promised him time, he got it. It’s crunch time now. He kills us when he plays out there. Lazy screens, awful ball handling, and mediocre shooting. Get him inside

Press more. At this point we should have a crazy deep rotation.

Mandatory TO if opponent out scores us by 8 in any stretch

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    Can’t disagree with any of that

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GATORJV

GATORJV Junior

Oct 10, 2014
    I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly with the AN part. Send the guy who has got us this far to the bench more often? Without AN, we're not even in the running for the tourney. He had a mediocre game. It happens.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    I would love to see KB in the paint more, but don't see MW doing that. Would love to see more pressing, but don't see MW doing that. We should call timeouts quicker, but don't see MW doing that. It is what it is. This late into the season, this is who we are. Would some of those ideas work? I definitely think so. But this is MW's team and sadly, I don't expect any drastic changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    So now we want more Glover? We want to bench the SEC leader in assists/TO ratio for the guy who literally was benched as the backup PG for careless ball handling?

Blackshear needs to finish better if he's going to be forced to play down low. Guy missed 2 layups tonight in 3 attempts.

Plus playing him out on the perimeter opens up driving lanes for Keyontae. We need to keep running the 4 out offense, imo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Often we’d have 5 guys standing beyond the 3 point line. That’s ridiculous. If we have another big in the game I’m fine with Blackshear playing back (although in that case I’d rather have Mann).

AN struggles against more athletic teams. We could use more speed. I’m not saying bench him but yes I’d rather Glover drive against athletic teams.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    That's the 5 out offense or even 4 around 1 offense, it's actually probably good for this team. Really opens up driving lanes and if Noah was shooting well tonight, would've put a ton of stress on UK. That offense has helped turn our season around, imo. Not sure why we would go away from it now.

And I don't want Glover driving as the PG against UK or any team with size. He's not going to finish and he struggles as a passer. He's much better off the ball where he can be the guy catching against a rotating defense and using his quickness that way to get into the paint.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    A new coach?

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 5
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    We went into Rupp and lost in a close game. Come on my man.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    What's your excuse for the previous losses?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  11. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    What are you talking about?

• Like Like x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    More Mann - yes.
    More Glover- No. Not until he learns to shoot free throws and identify good shots.
    Less AN - Absolutely not.

I like the way we are using Blackshear. He is NOT a back to the basket player - he never has been. I think he needs to be less hesitant. Kerry was shooting lights out early, and then passed on an open shot - a possession that yielded a turnover. Kerry being out there created the space in which Key was driving the ball. Now, I certainly dont want him spending the entirety of every possession on the arc, but his high screens and ability to demand switches, creates mismatches . . . and his game very much opens the court. His turnovers came off hesitancy. . . virtually every time.

Press More - Eh. Sounds good, but the press we are watching is one in which we are playing without care for fouling.

Timeouts - good in theory, but tough to put in practice. UK's biggest run of the game was 9-0.
    Florida was up 44-41. . . .a couple gators turnovers and UK 3s put UK up 47-44. Florida got a good look from the arc for Key . . . he missed. Quickly hit another 3 to make it 9-0 run. White calls timeout.
    Seemed like the right time.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    From the point total it looks like KB had an okay game, but the fouls, TO's & poor defense with lateral movement/rotation cost us. Nevertheless, he's probably a net positive over Payne. AN can't get the aggressive drives to the basket, despite his height, when he's faced with athletic defenders. The offense needs the driving ability. It seems to me that he should be able to use his size more effectively to drive. He's better than last year but I think we have to set too many screens to help him out. However AN is our best passer. KB often ends up being open after he sets a screen but isn't adept enough at the 3pt or drives to be effective. KJ can be effective in those situations, but we need his presence as a threat in the corner. Mann is hitting some shots, but most of his attempts/misses come off of 1:1 plays. He needs to work more within the offense. Glover is fearless & can make some things happen with aggressive play, but TO's & poor foul shooting hamper him.
    The team has gotten better. I think they're good & at times can play very good. We just need to continue to progress, get in the tournament & see if we can play very good more often.

14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    The other team played better.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    In the first half, we were better offensively when Lewis was on the bench.
    Right now, Lewis is not an offensive threat, but damn, dude plays some wicked D.
    Barring an offensive run in the NCAAT, I think he will be back for year 2. Same with Tre Mann. Unfortunately for us, I think KJ is gone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Is KJ listed on any mock draft boards? I don't recall seeing him but that means little.

17. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    He needs to become a more consistent shooter. He's only 6'5 and won't be matched up against 4's at the next level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Should we have won them all?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The Glover love is pretty bizarre to be honest. He's played one solid game as a gator and has been a TO machine outside of that. He needs a lot of seasoning still.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I doubt that KJ goes anywhere. Hes our best player, but I'm not sure his game translates all that well to the nba.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1