Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AD White opens door to a 2-for-1 with UF (Bianchi Column)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Aug 4, 2019.

1. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Please don't quote so much bianchi. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. OrmondGator

OrmondGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Can we appeal to the NCAA to add one extra game to our schedule for the sole purpose of going to Orlando to shut them the @$*& up?

Otherwise, no reason to consider it.....

3. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    History Lesson UCF..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Florida and Central Florida last played in 2006, a 42-0 victory in the Swamp by the eventual national champion Gators. The teams had been scheduled to play again the following season, but UCF got out of the game and ended up paying a $100,000 buyout, according to documents released through a public-records request.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. eViLG

eViLG All American

Aug 18, 2013
    Ocoee, FL
    UCF also ducked out of a game against the ‘Canes not too long ago.

UM had to scramble to find an opponent and wound up playing at App State.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Agree to play in their teeny tiny stadium on the condition they guarantee the same payout that UF got playing Michigan in Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    In an effort to provide a possible scenario with a 2 for 1, I would only play them in a 2 for 1 if the buyout for the last game at Florida was set at double what we would normally make for a home game. If they want to play us that bad at their stadium I would want a higher than normal guarantee of not backing out of the contract. That way if they do back out they would pay up and would even be higher than what they could make from their own home game anyway.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Honestly I’d prefer 3 neutral site games to this UCF series. But honestly I’m okay with this 2 for 1. When it happens UCD will suck again

My favorite idea for OOC scheduling is for 8 national powers to come together and get some sort of multi year tournament. One year 4 teams host, second year another 4 teams host. Then the next two rounds do at neutrals or have teams host. Last round you’d match up the teams based on record. So you’d essentially get to play 4 different national teams across 4 years in an actual competition. Kind of gimmicky but it would add some flavor than the typical OOC match.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    And we don’t pay UCF a ton of money to come and play at BHG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I am fine with playing UCF, FAU, USF, Miami & FSU, we are and have been the premier program (not just football) for decades, I trust Stricklin to negotiate very favorable terms for the games, manage the schedules year to year and let the chips fall where they may. I think it would help with in state recruiting and might just be fun to watch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Interesting post by Dooley:

15. “Danny White, the athletic director at UCF and brother of Florida’s basketball coach, keeps banging the drum for a Florida-UCF series. With a caveat. “We’re not going to do two games at somebody else’s stadium and then a neutral-site game in Orlando at Camping World Stadium,” White said. OK. Only thing is, that’s never been a UF consideration or a discussion, just an assumption that Florida would not play on the UCF campus.

Or perhaps White just keeps setting up parameters in place that will mean his team never has to actually play a big-time program in the regular season because, in the end, that could be the worst thing that could happen to UCF. It’s a theory, one I happen to subscribe to.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    UF has nothing to gain by playing UCF. I seem to remember UCF canceling the last time they were supposed to play the Gators. I’d much prefer a West Coast or Midwestern top 20 team that brings tradition to the table.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Methinks a 2-1-1 ratio: 1 at their home, two at Gainesville and 1 in Tampa over a 15-year period, sounds about right. After that, they can spend their time shining their "we belong" trophy.

Kindergartners need to learn how to keep their mouths shut when the adults are talking about important stuff.

13. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    We pay THEM exactly what they pay US to play in their crib.

And I DO mean crib.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Why would we ever reschedule them after they backed out of the 2007 game? They had their chance and chickened out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Marketing. That is all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm so over this clown. Time to just ignore him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

By the time we even put them on the schedule, UCF will have sunk back into 2-10 obscurity again.

18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    a little early for that prediction, they are an up and comer with a large institution behind them, Frost has moved on lets see just how well they current staff does before declaring them irrelevant

19. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I find UCF incredibly annoying, and AD White is a disaster. He could have made UCF into America's favorite underdog, and instead turned them into this.

The thing that bothers me, is UCF could win. Don't get me wrong, if UF brings even its B game we'll walk away with a multiscore win, but UCF would have a chip on their shoulder and if we walk into a noon game a little sleepy (we know that happens once every year), we'll get sucker punched. They are an idiot's version of Missouri.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Reading our GC Threads it reminds me of the early/mid 60[s attitude toward FSU
    here is a snippet from WIKI on the early 'rivalry' the tie in 61 and the loss in '67 on Florida Field.
    The University of Florida administration, however, was reluctant to treat Florida State University as an equal, less for reasons of intercollegiate sports rivalry than for reasons of limited state funding for higher education and the perception that Florida State's demands for a greater share of those funds might undercut the University of Florida's role as the state's historic flagship university. As the impasse dragged on, a bill was proposed in the Florida Legislature in 1955 which would have mandated that the two schools compete against each other in football and other sports. While the bill was voted down, Florida Governor LeRoy Collins personally requested to University of Florida president J. Wayne Reitz that he take the lead in starting a yearly football series between the two state universities. Reitz agreed, and the schools negotiated a contract that began their football series in 1958, the first available opening on the Gators' non-conference schedule.[5]

One of the stipulations in the first contract was that all games be played in the Gators' home stadium, Florida Field in Gainesville, because the Seminoles' home field at Doak Campbell Stadium had a capacity of under 20,000. The first six games in the series were all played in Gainesville. Florida State initiated a series of expansions to Doak Campbell Stadium, and beginning in 1964, the game site has alternated on an annual home-and-away basis between Gainesville and Tallahassee. The Gators hold a 20–11–1 series advantage in games held in Gainesville, and have a one-game edge for those played in Tallahassee, 13–12–1. The Gators and Seminoles have split two neutral-site games—both Sugar Bowls played in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans (1994 and 1997). Since alternating the game site, the Gators hold a 29–23–1 edge over the Seminoles. Since Bobby Bowden became the head coach at Florida State in 1976, the Seminoles hold a 21–19–1 advantage over the Gators.

Early contests
    [​IMG]
    The 1961 game
    After the Florida State College for Women became the co-educational Florida State University in 1947, the newly formed Florida State Seminoles football team achieved immediate success on the gridiron. Under head coach Don Veller, the Seminoles became the first collegiate football program in the state of Florida to go unbeaten and untied, finishing 8–0 in 1950.[6] Under Coach Tom Nugent, the Seminoles made the move to major college status in 1955. Just three years later, Nugent would lead the Seminoles onto Florida Field to face the Gators, with Florida winning 21–7. With the arrival of Bill Peterson in 1960, the Seminoles began their move to national prominence. Under Peterson's direction, the Seminoles beat the Gators for the first time in 1964 and earned their first major bowl bid. Peterson also led the Seminoles to their first-ever top-ten ranking.[7] While Peterson was taking the Seminole program to new heights, Ray Graves had been hired as the Gators new head coach to improve the Florida football program. When the two teams fought to a 3–3 tie in 1961, Graves likened the result to "a death in the family." From that point on, the game took on new significance and the rivalry intensified.

Some here will even remember:

'Never Say Never FSU' from those early days