Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

About the music in the Swamp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tigator2019, Oct 7, 2019.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I would argue it does hurt, because it ques the fans in the stadium to "check out". Trust me, it was louder before the piped in music. Two words always come to mind when I hear it. Lame. Contrived.

The attendance issues run far deeper than a lack of "Sweet Home Alabama" during a TV timeout. In fact, I'd argue that by giving into this trend of chasing shorter attention spans, you're actually making it worse. You're taking away the uniqueness that is college football and ultimately that's what's going to draw people back (and winning, of course).

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Imagine a time when music becomes so good that the crowd quits watching the game and just enjoys the music. The players might even be sent to play outside so the crowd can dance on the field.

This is pure fantasy, of course, because music is actually getting worse instead of better.

3. raygravesghost

raygravesghost Sophomore

Aug 13, 2019
    @CHFG8R OK...that's a different argument than people saying we don't play a lot of rap music

Now you might check out during the piped in music but I see a lot of fans trying to end up on the video screens dancing
    I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi isn't playing during those breaks in play...off the top of my head I can recall Drake's "Nonstop", Sheck Wes's "Mo Bama",
    Lil Jon's "Let's Go (remix)"

I've been going to UF games since the late 70s/ early 80s...I know how the stadium was before the highly produced in game experience

What's simply has happened is that the professional sports model has been adopted...the in-game music and fan experience is much more
    like the NFL.

The rest of this thread is nothing but a bunch of people who don't like rap music complaining that they don't like rap music

Newsflash my Gator brethren...rap music is the most popular music in America and in game event music reflects that

Personally, I just wish we played some more real hip hop rather than the Top 40 pop radio crap

Culture wars are a helluva thing... :ninja2:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't like any kind of music that distracts from what I'm trying to do. Like trying to enjoy a football game. Or trying to sleep. Or trying to enjoy dinner while the restaurant plays some piped-in crap. The worst would be having a guy stand by the table playing a violin. At least I haven't experienced that yet. That's for the upper crust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

I was at the game thanks very much.
    and I’m not the kind of guy that’s going to engage you arguing over whether my words written while I was fishing today “hardly any rap“ should escalate into some long winded back and forth.

You and I disagree and thats ok, gators won.

Rap.. Hip hop were all played.
    Along with rock/80s and pop. More so and so much so that it was noticeable to me. Petty, Jovi, Culture Club

it’s the very reason I started this thread. For the longest time all you heard was rap and hip-hop all season, all games, all year long ...

Go gators, in all kinds of weather

6. spike718

spike718 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    I like some music but not every play . But at least it wasn’t like the nba where they now have music during live action sometimes (not sure if it’s actually allowed but it happens all the time). Hell, half the teams hire a full time professional DJ who is sometimes more popular than the nba team itself.

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    That's partly what I meant when I said that music is getting worse instead of better.

Ah, I remember the days when as a youth I would listen to the Top 10 or Top 40 or whatever on the radio. If I had to listen to today's Top 40 I would probably commit Harry Carey.

8. raygravesghost

raygravesghost Sophomore

Aug 13, 2019
    Ha! That was good...
    That wasn't meant to be an indictment of your music preference...I said that because in some of the opinions expressed it was quite clear
    that the poster mainly didn't like the genre of music

Now I agree with you...for me personally I would choose no music during my game please

Then maybe we could get back to bodysurfing some hotties up to the top of the student section & paper cup fights

Now THAT would be some must watch TV during game breaks

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Beth is awesome. :emoji_face_palm::emoji_raised_hands:

10. raygravesghost

raygravesghost Sophomore

Aug 13, 2019

tigator I'll agree with you on that in some respect...I remember when I noticed the music format became heavy rap/hip hop
    Pleasant surprise for me but really inconsequential...

That's why I didn't really notice any great change in the music this past Saturday

Hasn't "Crazytrain" & Zeppelin been played for the last few years at least at every home game?

11. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    The TV broadcast picked up an extended playing of some classic-rock junk during an officials review. Kansas or similar. I thought, Who could possibly like this. Certainly not the students. Maybe the audio experience as a whole was OK, but all I'd want to hear during the game is the one Petty tribute and the band.

I support a local hockey team and the guy plays techno and some rap, most of it fast and aggressive. Wall of sound. I don't really like the music, but it keeps up the energy -- and I far prefer it to 40-year-old rock hits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I guess it might have something to do with your taste in music....and your age.

If they insist on playing music, instead of having the band play... a good mix of music is much better...
    I wouldn't want to have to listen to hip hop the entire game..... I would go bonkers, and have a friggin headache.

There are some great classic rock songs that wouldn't make some fans want to bang their heads together. :D

13. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    U have die hard fans that scream on every play,,, then u have fans that enjoy the dancing and the singing... (most women and Kids).

Swamp trys to cater to both.

14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Let’s see:

Thunderstruck 2X-AC/DC-awesome
    Bring em out-2X- TI- good stuff
    Living on a Prayer-Bon Jovi-sweet
    We Will Rock You-Queen-good stuff
    Turn Down For What-Lil Jon-+++
    Won’t Back Down-can’t play too much

I’m pretty good with all these selections.

What songs did I miss?

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yeah..but Crazy Train has become tradition for us as well.

16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I respectfully disagree.

It goes back to the 2001 game at AU; re-enjoyed in the 2006 game at AU...and again at the 2011 game at AU. Which reminds me...we don't play "Welcome to the Jungle" against AU (we played that on Saturday). There is no tradition with Crazy Train in terms of being unique to FLORIDA (let alone preferred at FLORIDA). At best it's a copy song (see kernkraft 400). Our marketing has failed us in the past, we need to get over the hump...way too much music in the world to copy the generic stuff. We have Call me Al (truly a basketball tradition, but we'll take it), and we have Dragnet morphed into MBYS, but the generic stuff that other schools have already adopted = yuck! It's almost as bad as when we copied "Ollie" GATOR from the Nebraska drubbing that we took in the Fiesta Bowl. Just no need for it. Just my two bits.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Senior

Sep 9, 2018
    A little “Ride the Lightning” by Metallica!!!! If that doesn’t get you going....I don’t know what will. Plus Florida is the lightning capitol of the world.....just makes sense!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah, I guess this is what I'm complaining about. Frankly, I'd rather them play rap than tired old tracks, but would prefer they do neither. Do some Jaws. Do some Gator Bait. Do a Two Bits. Get the fans involved.

Trying to create an NFL experience is absolutely the wrong track to take here. Outside of Green Bay and maybe a couple others, NFL attendance is almost solely based on wins and losses. If you remember the 80s and 90s, then you remember electric atmospheres (at least in the 80s) for average to poor teams by our current standards.

I remember sellouts for the Bucs (still not as good an experience as Gainesville) when they were winning. Supposedly a 20 year waiting list for tickets. Then the winning stopped, and that place is a graveyard. You better give them something better than an NFL experience or that attendance issue is going to continue to be a problem . . . unless we're winning.

19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I know it sounds crazy, but when they used to use organs in hockey it actually would ramp up the tension like nothing I've ever experienced. You'd think rock or rap would fire you up more, but I find I ignore that. But that "da da da. . . da da da. . ." just ramps up the tension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Gotta know your customer....