Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

About the music in the Swamp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tigator2019, Oct 7, 2019.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why not some classical music? More students would attend to fill up those empty seats if they were given extra credit in humanities just for listening to piped in Mozart, Beethoven, or "Thus Spake Zarathustra."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Get off my lawn!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Piped in Music = Time to Check Out. At least that's how I've always taken it and why I always thought the atmosphere at Gator games was 1000x better than a Bucs game (even when they were good and the place was packed). Cheesy piped in music. Artificial atmosphere. No comparison.

One of the reasons why I've become a fan of EPL. Packed stadiums, no piped in music (or other attempts at fake atmosphere) and an incredible, 100% fan-created environment. Reminds this "old man" of the old days in The Swamp.

4. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    And now, Atlanta
    Wish we wouldn't play "Dog pound" on 3rd down.

I know alligator rock wouldn't be as catchy, but sure seems like avoiding "dog" songs would be prudent.

5. gatorphil74

gatorphil74 Recruit

Jun 4, 2016
    Definitely like the shift to classic rock and mix of songs. I would be real fine if they played only Tom Petty and Traveling Wilburys!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    I sat in a different seat this week and ended up right behind the band. I noticed that they played a lot while piped in music was being played. It almost seemed like they were competing with it. One time I really noticed was late in the game when Free Fallin' came on. The band jumped in and started playing something (can't remember what). Maybe someone in the band can fill us in - is there a bit of a competition/disconnect between the band and the stadium music guys, or is it just a coincidence and you each do your own thing?

7. etennant

etennant Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They all too often keep that piped in music going for too long while we are on defense. We need it stopped sooner so that the crowd has a chance to get full throated before the snap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Speaking about the band...were they wearing throwback uniforms or are the ones they wore Saturday their new ones.

9. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    What is EPL and where can I watch it?

10. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I was sitting next to a group of women who seemed to enjoy the music nearly as they enjoyed the game.

I don't mind the music, but I draw the line at doing the wave at a football game

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    NBCSN. Typically games at 7 a.m., 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m (NBC proper) on Saturday. 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. Sometimes 3 p.m. games on Friday and/or Mondays.

Be forewarned. . . it's soccer. ;)

But, to be honest, I've become hooked, specifically on the English League. The game today is a lot different than it was 20 years ago.

12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Could be worse..... infomercials "ask your doctor if damitol is right for you, may cause apocalyptic flatulence and death......"

13. ufmc84

ufmc84 Freshman

Aug 13, 2017
    Yeh! Piped in music and face masks?! What has happened to the game? Remember the old days when we’d wear suit and ties to the game and the bleachers were made of wood? I can’t take all this dadgum progress and technology ruining everything.

But seriously and with all sincerity our band sucks. I’ve never seen a band that large play so quietly in my life. If we relied on them for music we’d never hear a thing. They’ve been terrible since I was a student almost 20 years ago. They were even late starting We Are The Boys on Saturday. No one is asking them to be FAMU but raise the volume at least.

14. lawgator1

lawgator1 Freshman

Nov 13, 2018

All true. But as to the overproduction on television it sure is nice to have a team significant enough again to warrant the network doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    I am not a fan of the endless, annoying piped in music, but at least it is a better selection/mix now. And yes, please stop playing it right up to the snap. So damn irritating.

16. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    True - and that we might have risen above having Beth Mowins as the play by play announcer.

17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Forget it. I'd rather listen to piped-in hip hop in the Swamp. (Almost.)

18. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Me neither. I can agree with young-Earth creationists on one thing. Evolution sucks.

19. raygravesghost

raygravesghost Sophomore

Aug 13, 2019

Hardly any rap?

In 2014 the league relaxed the music rules to allow music until the QB is over the ball...
    How many snaps were there Saturday? 50-80?

And you think there was a lot of 80s stuff & Bon Jovi being played?
    And hardly any rap?

What stadium were you in?

Oh yeah BTW...The rule change had nothing to do with recruits but it did have something to do with attendance & competitive advantage during the game

SEC Stadiums Will Be Allowed to Play More Music in 2014
    SEC Stadiums Will Be Allowed to Play More Music in 2014
    ALEX SIMS
    FEBRUARY 26, 2014

[EXCERPT]

According to Weiszer, McGarity is a member of a SEC working group, headed by Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin, that addresses marketing, promotion and fan attendance.

It's no secret that attendance is down in college football and in many other sports. While many fans are choosing the comfort and convenience of watching at home on HDTV rather than forking over the time and money to attend a game, athletic departments are forced to adapt to attract crowds.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban went public with his concerns over the issue, blasting Crimson Tide fans for leaving at halftime during early-season blowouts last year, as Michael Casagrande of AL.com detailed.

While a little music won't be the ultimate fix to the issue, it certainly can't hurt, particularly when it is still up to each individual stadium to decide when and what music it plays.

20. racingator

racingator Junior

Sep 14, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Technically, our band was not late in starting "We Are The Boys". There was an intended 30-second pause - scripted - to allow Auburn's band to do whatever their traditional end of 3rd quarter thing is, then our band was to start our normal routine afterwards. It was mentioned in the email of game day initiatives sent out to those who purchased tickets through official channels.